Author Topic: Anyone growing the Tropical Vietnamese Pomegrante???  (Read 904 times)

RevivalR00ts

• US, CA, Corona, 9b
    • View Profile
Anyone growing the Tropical Vietnamese Pomegrante???
« on: October 04, 2022, 06:52:03 PM »
I would like to buy or trade for plants or cuttings if possible.

Thank you!

daisyguy

• Gainesville, Florida (North Central Florida)
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone growing the Tropical Vietnamese Pomegrante???
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2022, 10:24:51 PM »
In case you don't find someone, Lara Farms has this in stock (https://larafarmsmiami.com/products/pomegranate). I'm not affiliated, but I've been pleased with the plants I've gotten from them.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2022, 08:38:57 AM »
Its not very good. The juice is alright, but the seeds are as gritty as it gets.

Pretty busy for a while, but could send you plenty of cuttings in the near future. Tree needs a trimmin' pretty bad.

lmk if you want to trade anything, or you can just cover shipping.

RevivalR00ts

• US, CA, Corona, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2022, 03:08:43 PM »
Its not very good. The juice is alright, but the seeds are as gritty as it gets.

Pretty busy for a while, but could send you plenty of cuttings in the near future. Tree needs a trimmin' pretty bad.

lmk if you want to trade anything, or you can just cover shipping.

That's a bummer to hear about the poor quality. What better selections are you having success with in FL? I am looking for a variety that my parents can grow in Wellington.

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2022, 08:32:11 PM »

What better selections are you having success with in FL? I am looking for a variety
that my parents can grow in Wellington.

I am presuming that is Wellington, Florida (and not New Zealand).

Well, maybe how about Parfianka?  It is reported to be good in zones 6 thru 10 and has first quality fruit.

HTH

Paul M.
==

daisyguy

• Gainesville, Florida (North Central Florida)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2022, 08:45:03 PM »
I've also wanted to grow pomegranates in FL, but all I've found are sad answers. I've yet to see a review that the tropical pomegranates are worth eating, and the state is too humid to grow temperate pomegranates without spraying for fungus several times a year. Even if you were willing to spray temperate poms they still might not work out for you in Wellington because they do need some chill hours (~200?).

I contacted Green Sea Farms before they shut down (they were running a huge pom variety trial for UF) to ask about what varieties resisted humidity & diseases the best, and they recommended Christina and Vories varieties. I have in my notes that UF says that Christina is popular as a home garden cultivar and is reliable in the humid south. It originates in North Florida and that it has a mild taste with pale, almost clear, arils. It did 'fair' in taste tests. Vories originates in Gainesville, FL, has a 'sweet flavor' and has a light yellow or colorless arils.

Parfianka has great fruit, but it would need to be sprayed else a fungus will rot the fruit. The disease looks a lot like blossom end rot.

RevivalR00ts

• US, CA, Corona, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2022, 02:21:55 AM »
In case you don't find someone, Lara Farms has this in stock (https://larafarmsmiami.com/products/pomegranate). I'm not affiliated, but I've been pleased with the plants I've gotten from them.

Thanks! I do know they have it, so it is a backup plan. I've only recently learned about this variety.

RevivalR00ts

• US, CA, Corona, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2022, 02:24:44 AM »
I've also wanted to grow pomegranates in FL, but all I've found are sad answers. I've yet to see a review that the tropical pomegranates are worth eating, and the state is too humid to grow temperate pomegranates without spraying for fungus several times a year. Even if you were willing to spray temperate poms they still might not work out for you in Wellington because they do need some chill hours (~200?).

I contacted Green Sea Farms before they shut down (they were running a huge pom variety trial for UF) to ask about what varieties resisted humidity & diseases the best, and they recommended Christina and Vories varieties. I have in my notes that UF says that Christina is popular as a home garden cultivar and is reliable in the humid south. It originates in North Florida and that it has a mild taste with pale, almost clear, arils. It did 'fair' in taste tests. Vories originates in Gainesville, FL, has a 'sweet flavor' and has a light yellow or colorless arils.

Parfianka has great fruit, but it would need to be sprayed else a fungus will rot the fruit. The disease looks a lot like blossom end rot.

Sounds like it's not worth the hassle for my parents. Ill have to send them fruits from cali then. I'll trade them for the mamey, Abiu and Ilama off the trees that I just bought them!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk