Author Topic: Grafting citrons  (Read 1050 times)

vnomonee

• Zone 7a northeastern NJ
    • View Profile
Grafting citrons
« on: December 14, 2021, 10:00:30 PM »
Long story short my citrus medica "turunji" died of root rot. It appeared like the roots did not grow out of the root ball from when I transplanted it from the container it came in (Logees largest size as a rooted cutting), it was in an almost perfect square shape of the container except wet and rotting, I should have teased the roots out or washed out the nursery soil before potting it back in the summer.

I took some cuttings in hopes that they will root, and grafted some to the only other citron ancestry plant I have (Ponderosa Lemon).

Are citrons compatible with trifoliate? I have a few seedlings but it will be a while before I can graft if my cuttings/grafts survive.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2021, 02:47:57 AM by vnomonee »

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
Re: Grafting citrons
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2021, 02:16:03 AM »
You might want to propagate your Ponderosa lemon by trying to root some cuttings. Then you can graft more of your Turunji on them. The CCPP uses the yuma ponderosa variety as the rootstock for their citrons.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2022, 02:54:18 AM by sc4001992 »

vnomonee

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2021, 03:01:32 AM »
Thank you for that suggestion. Good to hear that it can be grafted to Ponderosa.

My Ponderosa by comparison has grown huge and vigorously, it was purchased around the same time and also as cutting from the same nursery.

Ponderosa:

Turunji on it's last leg with no roots left:

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2021, 04:49:19 AM »
According to UCR,
"Yuma ponderosa and Cuban Shaddock, are identical. However, the isozyme patterns differ."
So Its not A " Ponderosa" lemon.
Still Ponderosa is probably your best bet.
Can't see why Trifoliata wouldn't work either.
You are trying to save it, you can always graft onto something better down the track.
https://citrusvariety.ucr.edu/citrus/yuma_ponderosa.html

vnomonee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2021, 03:58:41 PM »
Thanks for the addition info!

So my grafts to the ponderosa lemon all rotted, they turned yellowed and black. I think my grow tent is too cold, but I also suspect the scions were already too far gone. I did a t-bud, and cleft graft, and a "z" graft. They all turned yellow and then black.

Curiously the greenest cuttings I took from the top of the citron and stuck in coco-coir are pushing growth and have no signs of yellowing or turning black so hopefully they are rooting. I don't want to disturb them to check for a callus so will wait patiently for roots to appear through the bottom of the container.