Author Topic: Feijoa in NJ zone 7a  (Read 5270 times)

vnomonee

• Zone 7a northeastern NJ
    • View Profile
Feijoa in NJ zone 7a
« on: January 08, 2022, 04:34:22 PM »
Anyone have success in the northeast?

These are all rooted cuttings from 2 plants that were listed as being 7a hardy (taking it with a grain of salt). Unknown variety, sold by 9Greenbox.

No damage so far with 20f, 16f, 18f over night, daily temps have been above freezing.

Tuesday will be interesting. Looks to be the coldest day and night combo so far

forumfool

• Canton, GA 7b
    • View Profile
Re: Feijoa in NJ zone 7a
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2022, 06:37:36 PM »
Why not protect when young? That’s an easy setup to put some row cover over it. I have Feijoa seedlings in ground 7b Georgia on south side of my house. No dieback in three years but mild winters 17 was lowest

vnomonee

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2022, 11:06:25 PM »
Good to hear they survive in 7b. Our winters are increasingly mild each year, so those very low temps that would probably kill them are becoming rare.

I can cover them, but I am testing to see if they can survive without any intervention. The two potted plants that I took these cuttings from are a nice size and overwinter in my house so I don't mind losing these by the shed.

Nick C

• New Jersey Zone 7A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2022, 07:50:12 PM »
I have two in the ground but under poly tunnel. They seem pretty much unfazed by cold weather. I think we have a pretty good chance of survival in 7A without protection.

Nick C

• New Jersey Zone 7A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2022, 07:51:44 PM »
Also definitely agree on the mildness of our winters increasing. I think this week's cold spell will be the ultimate test for some serious zone pushing.

vnomonee

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2022, 04:23:01 PM »
I have two in the ground but under poly tunnel. They seem pretty much unfazed by cold weather. I think we have a pretty good chance of survival in 7A without protection.

The feijoas look fine after the 8f event, no obvious leaf damage. The mulch around my trees and being up against the shed structure has kept the soil from freezing. Everywhere else the ground is frozen.

However the cold did zap my Yuzu leaves, and the poncirus hybrids (tai-tri and citrumelo) leaves are curled up as well. Those are growing against a brick wall and are mulched so the soil didn't freeze. No obvious freeze damage on trunk or stems yet (like splitting) on the citrus or feijoas.

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2022, 11:21:39 AM »
I am at the border of zone 6- 7 and have 3 feijoa plants but i didnt had the guts to plant them in the ground. Lowest so far was -11 C, i may find a place in the yard for one of them this spring. I have read that they lose their flower buds at temps of around -6C or so, is that true? If so even if the plant survives it may be cropless in climates like mine....

vnomonee

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2022, 03:49:52 PM »
I did read that flower buds are killed, but I also read from another account that they make flower buds on new growth in the spring flush

It's been several days and I see no damage after 8f (-13.3C). No leaf drop or noticeable freeze damage on the leaves or trunks

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2022, 04:01:56 PM »
I did read that flower buds are killed, but I also read from another account that they make flower buds on new growth in the spring flush

It's been several days and I see no damage after 8f (-13.3C). No leaf drop or noticeable freeze damage on the leaves or trunks
Great news, they give most of them a hardiness to about -15 C ,i was always sceptical but it may be true. I have one feijoa that is rootbound in a pot and will try to find a place for it in the ground comd spring.

shiro

• France La Rochelle
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2022, 08:26:17 PM »
In my area, some people cut the feijoa tree into balls every year. This way, if ever there is a cold spell, it is easy to put a transparent winter cover over the trees. This also protects the flower buds. But in my case, this pruning is more for the sake of beauty, because cold temperatures of -15°C are very rare or of very short duration. I'll post you some pictures when I go for a walk.  But don't worry, they're pretty tough, mine can easily withstand -12°C without damage. And even once -20°C but only for a few hours, but on already mature trees. But if it didn't die, there was damage that time.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2022, 02:57:56 AM »
In my area, some people cut the feijoa tree into balls every year. This way, if ever there is a cold spell, it is easy to put a transparent winter cover over the trees. This also protects the flower buds. But in my case, this pruning is more for the sake of beauty, because cold temperatures of -15°C are very rare or of very short duration. I'll post you some pictures when I go for a walk.  But don't worry, they're pretty tough, mine can easily withstand -12°C without damage. And even once -20°C but only for a few hours, but on already mature trees. But if it didn't die, there was damage that time.

And what about prolonged freezing weather, this january we had around 10 days of subzero weather 24 hours a day. The lowest i measured was -15 c. Do they survive such low temps only if in the day it is above freezing ??
The variety i'm thinking of planting is Jemini.

vnomonee

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2022, 06:13:01 PM »
-14c / 7f followed by freezing rain sometime last month burned all of the leaves they are brown and crispy.

Wood and small/thin branches are still green, everywhere I checked.

Should I help the trees defoliate or let the leaves drop on their own when the spring winds come through? I touched a couple here and there and they come off easily, the spot left behind where the leaf was attached is alive

« Last Edit: March 02, 2022, 06:15:33 PM by vnomonee »

MisterPlantee

• Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2022, 01:33:41 PM »
Slightly different, but I brought my Feijoa out too fast in the spring last year and all the leaves burned brown to a crisp. I let the leaves fall off naturally and it came back bushier and bigger than ever

vnomonee

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2022, 02:11:31 PM »
Slightly different, but I brought my Feijoa out too fast in the spring last year and all the leaves burned brown to a crisp. I let the leaves fall off naturally and it came back bushier and bigger than ever

Good to hear that it can recover from losing all of the leaves. I am slowly acclimating my 2 potted feijoas. I have them under shade when they are outside I only bring them in if there is a freeze. Hoping to get enough chill hours to flower since my indoor temps never go below 60

Inside right now because the wind is pretty bad

vnomonee

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2022, 02:39:17 PM »
defoliated outdoor bush with living buds where leaves dropped

« Last Edit: March 08, 2022, 02:47:11 PM by vnomonee »

MisterPlantee

• Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2022, 10:06:03 AM »
Yes pretty sure your outside ones will start leafing out once spring comes. I did notice that it took quite a while for the buds to come out on the one that lost off its leaves, slow but then by start of summer it was all leafed out and flowering.

I haven't had problems just yanking my Feijoa from the comforts of the greenhouse and directly into below freezing weather outside (About 20F is when I would bring into the garage for the night). The worst I've seen is the newest leaves at the tips might fall off.. That way I am sure to get all the cold chill hours.

Good to hear that it can recover from losing all of the leaves. I am slowly acclimating my 2 potted feijoas. I have them under shade when they are outside I only bring them in if there is a freeze. Hoping to get enough chill hours to flower since my indoor temps never go below 60

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2022, 01:33:46 AM »
Yes pretty sure your outside ones will start leafing out once spring comes. I did notice that it took quite a while for the buds to come out on the one that lost off its leaves, slow but then by start of summer it was all leafed out and flowering.

I haven't had problems just yanking my Feijoa from the comforts of the greenhouse and directly into below freezing weather outside (About 20F is when I would bring into the garage for the night). The worst I've seen is the newest leaves at the tips might fall off.. That way I am sure to get all the cold chill hours.

What is the needed chill hour requirement and at what temperature ? I was thinking to plant one in my gh where this year it went to 4 C at the worst (heated). There are tropicals inside so i should keep it warm and prolly not much colder than that.

vnomonee

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2022, 03:16:47 AM »
"100-200 chilling hours below 45º F (7º C)."

Mine haven't flowered yet, that is what I read online

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2022, 10:59:28 AM »
"100-200 chilling hours below 45º F (7º C)."

Mine haven't flowered yet, that is what I read online
thanks!

MisterPlantee

• Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2022, 11:43:51 AM »
Can you just grow in a pot and move outside to a garage in the spring or just leave outside when it is within the survival temperature range? Feijoas do well in pots.

If your greenhouse goes to 4C at the worst it might not be enough. Chilling hours don't count unless it is continuously below the temperature, a few hours a night doesn't count

What is the needed chill hour requirement and at what temperature ? I was thinking to plant one in my gh where this year it went to 4 C at the worst (heated). There are tropicals inside so i should keep it warm and prolly not much colder than that.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2022, 05:16:29 PM »
Can you just grow in a pot and move outside to a garage in the spring or just leave outside when it is within the survival temperature range? Feijoas do well in pots.

If your greenhouse goes to 4C at the worst it might not be enough. Chilling hours don't count unless it is continuously below the temperature, a few hours a night doesn't count

Mister Plantee, well i am growing 3 plants in pots, i wanted to unleash one of them in the gh to have a big fruiting plant, but will continue to grow them in pots then, prolly will plant one in the garden if i find a suitable  spot.
The gh will prolly get warmer for next winter since i will be setting a radiator heating system there this summer, will skip the feijoa and fix on the tropicals instead for the gh.

MisterPlantee

• Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2022, 11:16:05 PM »
I think you should be good planting it outside and leaving it in the ground since they are said to be good down to -12C. Probably covering them up during the extra cold days is all you need and then soon you will be rewarded with a giant Feijoa tree. Do you grow Olives as well in your climate outside? I think they have similar temperature tolerance, maybe a little lower too

Mister Plantee, well i am growing 3 plants in pots, i wanted to unleash one of them in the gh to have a big fruiting plant, but will continue to grow them in pots then, prolly will plant one in the garden if i find a suitable  spot.
The gh will prolly get warmer for next winter since i will be setting a radiator heating system there this summer, will skip the feijoa and fix on the tropicals instead for the gh.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2022, 01:50:42 AM »
Olive is i think is a hard one to grow here outside, from the more mediteranean stuff i have only figs and kiwi. First winter outside for both so have to see how theyve done come spring. 
For the feijoa i will need to plant it close to the house ,under the eeve on the south side, but thats kinda difficult since i have a path going there. But i have one place kinda close to the wall ,so will plant there and def do some kind of a winter orotection....as much as i'm afraid to sacrifice one of my plants, i do need to know does this species have future at my place outside.

Nick C

• New Jersey Zone 7A
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2022, 03:00:51 PM »
A little bit of protection has done wonders for these guys. Hoping they'll flower again this year after being dug up and transplanted from my heated greenhouse a couple years back.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2022, 04:36:47 PM »
A little bit of protection has done wonders for these guys. Hoping they'll flower again this year after being dug up and transplanted from my heated greenhouse a couple years back.

nice plants, how were they doing in the heated greenhouse for u ?? I suppose they were fruitless since u dug them up ??