Author Topic: A dilemma with my lychees...  (Read 558 times)

eez0

• Canary Islands. 11b
    • View Profile
A dilemma with my lychees...
« on: July 24, 2022, 07:43:17 AM »
These are my two lychees:

I got the first one about two weeks ago and put it in the ground right away. In theory, it was a Sweetheart.

Then, I tasted a lychee for the first time (it's not a fruit you can find in a market here), and that damn thing is pretty delicious! So, I bought the second one about a week ago, a Suey Tong, just to have a different variety. However, it turns out the nursery only sells Suey Tong, so the first one is also a Suey Tong...

And here's my dilemma...

I have two spots for them. The main one, where it's possible to grow with a good rounded shape, is where the tree is planted already. The second spot would better support an "elliptic shape", as it's close to the wall but wide.

Now, if you look at those two trees, it looks like the one already in the ground is perfect for the other spot, and the one that is in the pot is perfect for the main one, as it has a more upright shape. Also, it looks more healthier than the one in the ground, with more established leaves and not so many young ones.

Would it be wise to make the swap? As it was recently planted, I hardly doubt it has established a root system outside of the rootball yet. Would this tree with low bifurcation eventually form a rounded shape?

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
Re: A dilemma with my lychees...
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2022, 11:19:37 AM »
I would let them be. The shape of the young air layer has almost nothing to do with the shape of the mature tree. The shape of the mature tree is mostly dependant on pruning and shaping with some influence coming from variety. I have seen some very sad looking layers that turned into beautifully rounded trees.

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2022, 01:16:10 AM »
I agree. Leave them where they are.

Bill

eez0

• Canary Islands. 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2022, 11:04:59 AM »
two months and a half later, this is the status:

I think I should have swapped them. In fact, the lychee in the "main spot" isn't in a very good shape, I'm even considering digging it out and put into a pot in a more protected location.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2022, 12:46:21 PM by eez0 »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk