Author Topic: Do you like Alphonso mango fruits?  (Read 735 times)

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
Do you like Alphonso mango fruits?
« on: June 07, 2021, 06:48:44 PM »
This year I finally will have some Alphonso to taste for the first time in my life. This morning I crushed one thumb size that aborted and its smell reminded me of the Iman Pasand but the latter is 4x stronger than the former. If you like Alphonso then I think you will also like the creamy buttery  Pasand. For me, Iman Pasand is a very slow grow tree, perfect for those with small space.

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Do you like Alphonso mango fruits?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2022, 03:03:10 AM »
OK, my wish didn't come true last year, as all of the small fruits dropped off. But this year I have been eating 3 Alphonso finally, grown in SoCal.
You have to pick them when the beak turn yellow and has nice smell, or it will drop soon. The smell is incredible, stronger than Kesar and Mahachanok. I would say one of the main character of this fruit is the wonderful smell which I can't describe as anything in this world. The flesh is firmer than Peach cobbler, not as sweet as PC but more complex and I would rank it higher than Kesar and PC which is already very good. What surprised me the most is the intense acidity near the seed, almost like tamarind. Maybe this will turn into sugar the next day or so, but I like the balance of sweet and sour with the freshness of the flesh, aroma,  instead of over ripe sweet and too soft.
The young fruits easily burned under direct hot dry summer sun, so need to be shaded with paper.
It is a must have in SoCal.
The fruit was knocked down by the wind from storm Kay that dumped some rain in September, a rare event in SoCal. Luckily the fruit was just 12" from ground. I normally cut the fruit off with 0.5" stem attached to prevent the sap flow, as can be seen in this fruit with stem broke off at the base with darken sap, not fungus. 

« Last Edit: September 12, 2022, 03:39:21 AM by sapote »

Eggo

• USA, California, LA/OC, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2022, 03:46:40 AM »
Looks amazing! Another to add to my wish list.  I attempted a graft of alphonso this year but failed.  I did get lucky and got a Bennett Alphonso to take!  I hope they are similiar in tastes as they say.

SHV

• Escondido, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2022, 12:47:05 PM »
Yes, I like Alphonso mango fruits.  ;D
A SoCA inland grown Alphonso is a dynamite specimen.  I have both coastal and inland grown fruit, and the inland Alphonso blows the doors off coastal.  Probably the heat and soil that develops a much richer, sweeter taste.  The flowers are prone to powdery mildew that limits production, but the key is to spray early as the bloom emerges to limit growth before it starts. 
Congrats on your fruit. I’m confident you will enjoy it if you’re  a fan of Indian type mangos.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk