Author Topic: Avocado Scion Wood  (Read 734 times)

Keala Grower

• USA, HI, Kauai, Kilauea, 10a
    • View Profile
Avocado Scion Wood
« on: October 17, 2022, 03:49:36 PM »
Hello All,

I have 8 types of Hawaiian avocados trees on my farm here on Kauai and we are looking into selling scion wood. I am aware that many of these avocado types will not grow very well in places like California but I was curious what the market is like in places like Florida where the climate is similar to here. We have had success with grafting scion from our own trees and I'd love to be able to share these with interested growers.

Have any of you had success in selling pieces of scion wood on places like Etsy? We are working on establishing our own website to list our products but I am just trying to get a sense of the market for this product. If anyone has any insight into this market or advice on where to sell I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Re: Avocado Scion Wood
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2022, 06:19:02 PM »
You could list them here people will buy.  Can you post a list of varieties?

Etsy is a good place also to offer them.  Why not just go for it?  What do you have to lose? 
Brad Spaugh

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2022, 09:28:51 PM »
Carlos (CTMIAMI) trialed about a dozen different Hawaiian varieties in Homestead, FL, and to my knowledge there wasn't a single one he recommended for HIS area.  Outside of Homestead might be different.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2022, 10:28:54 AM by johnb51 »
John

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2022, 11:33:48 PM »
We’ve fruited Nishikawa and Malama here. Both are excellent. We have a San Miguel with fruit on it for the first time.

Nishikawa has fruited successfully in other parts of Florida (particularly southwest Florida). I think the Hawaiian cultivars deserve more trial here and there’s probably a market for their budwood.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2022, 09:05:47 AM by Squam256 »

buddy roo

• Spring Valley, Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2022, 11:34:32 AM »

Etsy is a good place also to offer them.  Why not just go for it?  What do you have to lose?
Hi Brad I just got a Jamaican cherry from them, what I thought was a 4" pot turned out to be a 1" plug no visible roots around the plug, badly wilted when it arrived dead now there ph# is no good and they do not respond to there on line comments.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2022, 01:18:28 PM »

Hi Brad I just got a Jamaican cherry from them, what I thought was a 4" pot turned out to be a 1" plug no visible roots around the plug, badly wilted when it arrived dead now there ph# is no good and they do not respond to there on line comments.

That sucks, leave a bad comment on the seller. 

I bought half a dozen or more lychee trees off etsy, they all came in good and are still going.  Its all about what the sellers do.  Sounds like yours was a tissue culture.  Tissue cultures suck bad in my opinion... 
Brad Spaugh

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk