Author Topic: Neighbor pesticide spray  (Read 1194 times)

TheVeggieProfessor

• Broward County, FL, 10b
    • View Profile
Neighbor pesticide spray
« on: October 18, 2022, 03:01:52 PM »
Hi all. My neighbors use this perimeter mosquito repellent: https://mosquitonixsouthflorida.com/
It goes for 45 seconds 3x per day. I get considerable drift onto my property. What would you do if you were me? Plant fruiting plants along the fence and accept that the pesticide will affect the fruit, or plant a non-productive hedge to block the spray?

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
Re: Neighbor pesticide spray
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2022, 04:31:39 PM »
We used to get something like that...But yeah all the bees died out lmao.
I'd be more worried about what happens to all the other life...I read up on chemical and it seems ok once dry. Of course I don't want to sit in it either. Better to have no chemicals than any.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2022, 04:47:11 PM »
I hope there are no cats in your neighborhood.

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2022, 05:14:02 PM »
I looked at the website but couldn't find the actual chemical involved.
That would make a difference to the hazard to you and the residual life of the chemical, and how fast it degrades etc.
The withholding period for chemicals sprayed on produce is the time between spraying and being permitted to harvest.
The re entry period is the time between spraying a chemical and workers returning to the site
As the Mosquito spray is technically not sprayed on produce, but used in a human environment it should have some of these values, an indication of the hazard.
That could give you some idea about when you could harvest from adjacent plants safely.
Also is there a 'mosquito season' in your area or is it 365 days a year ?
You could consider barrier plantings like sugar cane, bamboo, Sorghum along the boundary.

TheVeggieProfessor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2022, 06:16:27 PM »
It's says it's pyrethrum-based.

Gone tropo

• Durian obsessed
    • Nth Qld Australia, zone 13a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2022, 06:50:56 PM »
Try living next door to sugar cane fields I get all kinds of chemical drift across my place, my house also gets covered in ag lime at least once a year

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2022, 06:59:10 PM »
maybe it's bifen? similar compounds used anyway. extremely damaging to any insect it lands on like bees.

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2022, 12:28:27 AM »
Best I can think of is contact company and and ask to read up on the products they are using if they even know. Also ask your neighbor how long they plan to use the service as typically mosquitos are somewhat seasonal. You may not have to deal with this long term if they don’t see a benefit or are unhappy with service.

Once I was walking in my yard inspecting my super Julie mango tree, and I and the tree were heavily misted by a worker on my neighbors roof with a mask on that looked like he was power washing the roof shingles. When he was done I walked up and said hey what did you spray on that roof because it smells strongly and you indirectly sprayed me and my tree. He said it was some antifungal compound, and “not to worry because he uses it all the time and gets exposed and is fine” meanwhile he was wearing facial protection. He obviously didn’t know the chemicals so I called the company. Turns out the owner of the company picked up and he had no idea either, turns out he bought the company from previous owner which invented the chemical concoction. Literally no one knew what was being sprayed, the poor worker could have long term health ramifications, and because of his managers carelessness and lack of oversight in a small franchise/business.

-Joe

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2022, 01:49:24 AM »

Thats generally regarded as on the lower end of the off target risk spectrum compared to many other insecticides.
The withholding period and re entry period is usually on the days to hours scale compared to 2 weeks or more for other chemicals.
It could also range from natural Pyrethrum to synthetic Pyrethroids, also misting agents or activity enhancers could be included.
Piperonyl butoxide is often used to enhance natural Pyrethrum.
Synthetic Pyrethroids can have a bit more bang compared to the natural form.

Although Pyrethrum is regarded as a much safer chemical, it is still an insecticide / biocide. You should still use all chemical protective gear while spraying.
If you buy organic produce it may be sprayed with similar chemicals ??
If you don't use those type of chemicals yourself, or insect repellants etc the drift may annoy you.
Apart from the actual misting, have you noticed any effects of the drift ?

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2022, 12:12:54 PM »
if you have the means, and the chemical is ambiguous, I would plant a non-edible privacy hedge to prevent the drift.

sucks that you have to go to such expensive lengths to enjoy your own yard but you don't get to pick your neighbors

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2022, 08:37:04 PM »
Hi all. My neighbors use this perimeter mosquito repellent: https://mosquitonixsouthflorida.com/
It goes for 45 seconds 3x per day. I get considerable drift onto my property. What would you do if you were me? Plant fruiting plants along the fence and accept that the pesticide will affect the fruit, or plant a non-productive hedge to block the spray?
Why couldn't they just use screens and personal mosquito repellant if need be like normal people?  I mean really, how long does that stuff stay in the air to deter mosquitoes?  It seems like they are violating your rights.  (I know a good lawyer...just kidding.)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2022, 08:38:54 PM by johnb51 »
John

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2022, 09:42:47 PM »
What if the neighbor quits using the perimeter spray and you have a
non productive hedge planted. You might as well plant a fruiting hedge and
give your neighbor the fruit. It can be an experiment

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2022, 11:08:03 PM »
What if the neighbor quits using the perimeter spray and you have a
non productive hedge planted. You might as well plant a fruiting hedge and
give your neighbor the fruit. It can be an experiment
I like What If Scenarios....
Probable possibility #1::: Neighbor continues spraying over the next 10 years...
You give away all your fruit to the neighbor while watching him for signs/symptoms but only see the big smile on his face eating your fruit. After 2 seasons of your neighbor eating all of your fruit, you grimace in pain watching and succumb to a heart attack and die....

Meanwhile your neighbor continues smiling and enjoying eating your fruit for 8 more years and eventually dies of fatty liver/cirrhosis/ disease of unknown origin.

Who won...     ;D

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2022, 11:55:14 PM »
What if the neighbor quits using the perimeter spray and you have a non productive hedge planted.

I suggested Sugar Cane or Sorghum.
Maybe try Corn instead
and hedge your bets.

TheVeggieProfessor

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2022, 08:28:20 AM »
What if the neighbor quits using the perimeter spray and you have a non productive hedge planted.

Maybe try Corn instead
and hedge your bets.

What’s a good variety of sugarcane that won’t fall over and (hopefully) won’t grow taller than 10 feet or so so it doesn’t cast shade on my plants to the west?

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2022, 09:57:54 PM »
I'm sorry you're dealing with this.  I know my neighbors apply pesticides but 3x per day is excessive.  I tried not to plant my trees too close to the fence since I know they spray herbicide on the fence line.  I would definitely plant some type of barrier hedge & avoid working in your yard while the spraying is going on to avoid the spray drift.  Do you have some type of high wooden fence, wouldn't that block a lot of it?  Like others have said, this can't be cheap to maintain, hopefully in this economy they will decide they don't want to pay for this anymore and stop the service.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2022, 12:32:26 AM »

Maybe try Corn instead
and hedge your bets.

What’s a good variety of sugarcane that won’t fall over and (hopefully) won’t grow taller than 10 feet or so so it doesn’t cast shade on my plants to the west?

Asian Black does not tend to fall over, tastes great, and stays on the short side. I'm not quite sure how it would be different than a fruit with an inedible peel, though.

TheVeggieProfessor

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2022, 09:48:44 AM »
Do you have some type of high wooden fence, wouldn't that block a lot of it?  Like others have said, this can't be cheap to maintain, hopefully in this economy they will decide they don't want to pay for this anymore and stop the service.

I do have a 6' privacy fence, but the spray drifts over the top. Fortunately, I'd imagine the fence is blocking a lot of it. I agree. My hope is that as economic hardships might take hold, this would be the type of luxury that they cut back on.

To Galantians: The difference with the sugar cane vs. a fruit with an inedible skin is that, with the sugar cane, I'm not attracting pollinators over to meet their doom.