Author Topic: Off topic ! Can anyone help me id these mushrooms  (Read 578 times)

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
Off topic ! Can anyone help me id these mushrooms
« on: October 21, 2022, 06:31:59 AM »
First, i am sorry for the off topic , i posted about the same mushrooms last year, in the temperate fruit section and was left without answer. Looked pics online and didnt really saw the same ones that i have....
They are growing in big numbers in my blueberry patches, they seem to like asidic soil but i think are growing without a host. No pines or big trees around, only fruit plants like apple and stonefruit, along with the blueberries. They are growing at clumps as shown in the pics. I just want to know if they are edible or not...

Thanks!

Northern Tropics

• Russia, Western Siberia
    • View Profile
Re: Off topic ! Can anyone help me id these mushrooms
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2022, 11:49:27 AM »
Armillaria mellea. Edible.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2022, 12:15:52 PM »
Thanks, it does look like an armillaria, thought more closely to armilaria tabescens, which is also supposed to be edible  , at least from the pics in the internet.
I am still a little hesitant to try them and will do a little more research until i do...

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2022, 01:57:00 PM »
Well, from excited about theese mushrooms i am now worried about my plants nearby, my research says that armillaria mushrooms/fungus are parasitic to a wide range of fruit and other plants, mainly trees. They infect roots and bases of live trees, slowly killing them by killing of the cambium/bark layer. Tomorrol i will collect them all and discard them, i see alot of white fungus strings and whole clumps under the mulch so i will collect this as well.
Its a total shit that they are edible but can be dangerous to nearby plants, i hope i manage to eradicate them somehow, the fungus below ground is known to be persistent in time....

Stomata

• Sarasota Florida. 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2022, 08:10:08 PM »
armillarias have white spores, fairly distinctive.

Northern Tropics

• Russia, Western Siberia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2022, 01:30:24 AM »
Well, from excited about theese mushrooms i am now worried about my plants nearby, my research says that armillaria mushrooms/fungus are parasitic to a wide range of fruit and other plants, mainly trees. They infect roots and bases of live trees, slowly killing them by killing of the cambium/bark layer. Tomorrol i will collect them all and discard them, i see alot of white fungus strings and whole clumps under the mulch so i will collect this as well.
Its a total shit that they are edible but can be dangerous to nearby plants, i hope i manage to eradicate them somehow, the fungus below ground is known to be persistent in time....

Yes, can be dangerous for trees and very hard to eradicate (you might want to have a look at this description of eradication technology: https://fermer.ru/content/openok-osenniy-zlostnyy-vreditel). If you decide not to discard but to cook these mushrooms (excellent taste), do not forget to boil them for 20 min before any other treatment, water should be discarded after that.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2022, 01:40:50 AM »
armillarias have white spores, fairly distinctive.
When does the spre dust accur, when they start to detteriorate?
Edit: i harvested them and they appear to be releasing the spore dust now, it is white and has accumulated on the tops of some of them.

Yes, can be dangerous for trees and very hard to eradicate (you might want to have a look at this description of eradication technology: https://fermer.ru/content/openok-osenniy-zlostnyy-vreditel). If you decide not to discard but to cook these mushrooms (excellent taste), do not forget to boil them for 20 min before any other treatment, water should be discarded after that.

i will hit their collony hard and disturb the top soil layer and try to collect any white strings and moldy pieces. Well ,ok just to not trow them, i will harvest them and cook them, i do want to make use of them, thanks for the boiling tip and also for the eradication link, will read that !
« Last Edit: October 22, 2022, 01:55:08 AM by Plantinyum »