Author Topic: Bloomsweet  (Read 670 times)

tedburn

• Mühlacker, zone 7
    • View Profile
Bloomsweet
« on: October 24, 2022, 06:39:34 AM »
Last year I harvested and tasted my first and only Bloomsweet fruit after about 12 months and yellow skin.
I wasn' t very overwhelmed by the fruit, a bit dry and no really
good flavour. This year my tree has 8 fruits and today I decided to try a fruit very early ( after 8 months from bloom).
I was really astonished about the wonderfull taste. Juicy, good fruity smell, relatively sweet and not sour. And even very very low bitter aftertaste. I can really recommend Bloomsweet, no disadvantage found.

tedburn

• Mühlacker, zone 7
    • View Profile
Re: Bloomsweet
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2022, 12:56:18 PM »
2. Bloomsweet got picked and eaten, also very tasty and good, so this confirms a very early ripening Pomelo.
Now the frosthardiness is to be confirmed.
One graft is in open ground for its first winter.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2022, 03:44:01 PM »
Bloomsweet (also known a Kinkoji) is really not a pummelo,  It is a cross of pummelo and a mandarin.  Many mandarins are ready to eat before the peel becomes yellow. Perhaps that is why Bloomsweet when picked still green, is good to eat.

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2022, 05:37:29 PM »
In the USA it is used as a rootstock I hear ? Citrus obovoidea, KInkoji aka Bloomsweet Grapefruit.

tedburn

• Mühlacker, zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2022, 07:15:51 PM »
you surely can also use it as rootstock, due to my experience it is a good grower, but concerning the delicious fruits, I think there are lots of other good rootstocks which dint have good edible fruits and deliver better frosthardiness as Poncirus orCitrumelos.