Author Topic: Your absolute favorite FL fruit tree  (Read 1283 times)

seanyk

• Fort Pierce
    • View Profile
Your absolute favorite FL fruit tree
« on: November 06, 2022, 03:59:09 PM »
I know we have a lot of members here in FL.
I'm just curious what your absolute favorite fruit tree is in your yard and why. Maybe after talking about it.. it will help others know about it/make them want to plant one.

For me I think it's my seedling Rollinia tree. It gives me tons of fruit and they are my favorite thing to eat from the yard. A close second is sweet tart mango. I have lots of other fruit trees that haven't fruited yet so the list might change in the years to come!

TheORKINMan

• Tallahassee, Florida
    • View Profile
Re: Your absolute favorite FL fruit tree
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2022, 04:05:28 PM »
As someone in the absolute southern edge of 8b (Tallahassee area) I love my growing zone. It basically lets me grow something year round. I can do the hardier tropical fruits as well as low chill deciduous fruit trees. Winters are mild enough that I can container grow most fully tropical fruits and keep them alive with a pop up greenhouse and a space heater as well.

My favorite tree right now because it has been the most productive of what I have in the ground is my Tropic Snow Peach. My favorite newly planted tree (planted about a year ago) that I'm most eager to try is a Shell Apple which is an heirloom variety developed in southern Alabama.

seanyk

• Fort Pierce
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2022, 04:14:50 PM »
That's awesome! Do you have to deal with fruit Flys/worms in your peaches that far north? I'd imagine not.

TheORKINMan

• Tallahassee, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2022, 04:16:29 PM »
Yes, I don't believe there is such a thing as a low effort stone fruit tree like how easy citrus is  ;D

Dormant oil + multiple spinosad sprays in the spring or they'll have worms on the inside

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2022, 04:46:41 PM »
My favorite citrus is the 'Duncan' grapefruit for its taste which makes its seediness a no brainer. 

That is followed by the mandarin, 'Clementine'.  I have a 'Nules Clementine' and it is also really tasty.

OK — HTH

Paul M.
==

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2022, 12:07:19 AM »
Gotta be coconuts
Produces year round and the water is to die for.
That would be mine if I lived in FL.
Many people I visit also support this fact.

JR561

• Boynton Beach, Florida 33437 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2022, 05:25:38 AM »
For me its Mamey. Especially since any I get from the stores I think are used to practice punts before putting out. Most people where I live also have no clue what they are.

FMfruitforest

• Tropical Fruit
    • USA, FL,zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2022, 05:30:19 AM »
Orinoco Banana, i find Orinoco n blue java perfect to stir fry in butter n cinnamon, produces year round.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2022, 09:15:40 AM »
Lychee and sapodilla trees for their beauty.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2022, 10:59:49 AM by johnb51 »
John

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2022, 10:59:34 AM »
Im in 9b near the east coast of central Florida
Mango but it takes a lot of work to keep it alive and fruiting, a late winter blast like last year can destroy blooms.

As far as easy, mulberry.

Who the heck thinks citrus is easy in Florida? It takes more fertilizer, leaf sprays, and pesticide to keep them even remotely healthy than any other tree family with everything out there trying to kill them.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2022, 11:04:00 AM »
Who the heck thinks citrus is easy in Florida? It takes more fertilizer, leaf sprays, and pesticide to keep them even remotely healthy than any other tree family with everything out there trying to kill them.
Nephew just bought a new house in Port St. Lucie.  He wants to plant fruit trees and asked for my advice.  (I'm the "fruit tree guy" in the family.) I emphasized that whatever you do, don't plant citrus!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2022, 06:43:49 PM by johnb51 »
John

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2022, 11:34:51 AM »
I have no experience with growing in Florida, but I saw on a Pete Kanaris video, that citrus were successful in Florida as an understory tree under oaks. 

He mentioned in a later video that research from the University of Florida revealed citrus benefitted from mycorrhizae fungi and the root associations helped protect from citrus greening.  I imagine all the spraying in the conventional citrus orchards would not be good for the mycorrihizae and other soil life.

Janet

TheORKINMan

• Tallahassee, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2022, 11:45:24 AM »
Im in 9b near the east coast of central Florida
Mango but it takes a lot of work to keep it alive and fruiting, a late winter blast like last year can destroy blooms.

As far as easy, mulberry.

Just not the case here in North Florida. My stone fruit trees get attacked way more than any of my citrus.

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2022, 06:59:39 PM »
The mulberry tree.

Tice or Shangri LA. Foraging through the overhead canopy within arms reach, stuffing your mouth with hands full of fruit that are black, ripe and sweet, till you can't eat no more- but you can do it all over later in the day or again tomorrow...that's one of my best fruit eating experiences. Just hope your soil isn't pure sugar sand, void of nutrients and nematode infested.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

FloridaManDan

• Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2022, 10:26:37 PM »
My favorite right now is Cecropia peltata. Gorgeous tree, can't wait for the fruit. The various Matoa (P. pinnata) are appealing to me as well, leaves and colors are nice.

Satya

• North Miami Beach, FL , Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • Growing rare tropicals and fruit trees.
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2022, 09:49:23 AM »
Nephew just bought a new house in Port St. Lucie.  He wants to plant fruit trees and asked for my advice.  (I'm the "fruit tree guy" in the family.) I emphasized that whatever you do, don't plant citrus!
My wife planted several lemon seeds from a store-bought lemon 8 years ago; one of those grew into a beautiful tree with no citrus greening and almost no deficiencies despite no fertilization, irrigation or any of that spraying people are talking about. Always loaded, and the fruit is juicy and fragrant. Whenever it gets attacked by mealies, ladybugs take care of it within several days. It is also planted by an old oak, I remember reading some research about oak being citrus greening preventative. Interesting that other citrus in the garden have greening, just this one seedling is extremely strong and resistant.