Author Topic: Garcinia genus growth pattern?  (Read 616 times)

tru

• Texas
    • View Profile
Garcinia genus growth pattern?
« on: November 08, 2022, 09:27:30 PM »
Hi, I've been growing different garcinias side by side and comparing their growth.

I'm really worried that something has happened to my luc's garcinia, because I don't see a growth tip. It's about 4-5 inches tall, with one big pair of leaves. Comparing it to the Imbe and cuban mangosteen, both of them are similar size, but both have visible growth tips and have pushed new leaves now.

Did I or an insect accidentally doom my plant and kill the first growth tip? Or am I just being paranoid.
Anyone with experience growing luc's from seed greatly appreciated <3
instagram @trumansacco

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
Re: Garcinia genus growth pattern?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2022, 09:56:24 PM »
They will form another bud to grow.
Don't worry.
Either from the top or it might make a sucker.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2022, 10:06:34 PM »
Yeah lucs will do absolutely nothing for months.  Purple mangosteen puts out leaves more often.

I'm not familar with cuban mangosteen, but imbe is very different growing than my other garcinias, it doesn't even look like a garcinia to me. The growth habit of lemon drop, seashore, achachachairu are all very similar to lucs, similar to coffee too.  They have a formless nub at the apex for a while, then it slowly turns into a split bud looking like a pair of closed lips, then eventually starts growing into actual leaves
« Last Edit: November 08, 2022, 10:27:07 PM by brian »

tru

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2022, 10:29:02 PM »
thanks everyone, I knew it was slow growing but I guess I was uninitiated. Can't wait  ;D

I'm not familar with cuban mangosteen, but imbe is very different growing than my other garcinias, it doesn't even look like a garcinia to me. The growth habit of lemon drop, seashore, achachachairu are all very similar to lucs, similar to coffee too.  They have a formless nub at the apex for a while, then it slowly turns into a split bud looking like a pair of closed lips, then eventually starts growing into actual leaves

Same, Imbe is a full leafset ahead of the others and 2 ahead of luc's, with those odd bright lines in the veins. Leaf growth description is spot on. I see some debate from time to time on whether brasiliensis and lemondrop are the same, I can confirm they look identical but lemondrop leaves are distinctly 5-10% smaller and ever so slightly u-shape curled? Cuban mangosteen leaves looks very similar to purple mangosteen, I have a feeling they are related in a similar fashion to how lemondrop, seashore, brasiliensis appear to be.

They kinda look like banana corms with the way the growth tip pops out of the sides, if only they grew like bananas too
« Last Edit: November 08, 2022, 10:48:48 PM by tru »
instagram @trumansacco

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2022, 10:40:14 PM »
They sure are slow growing, but all of my garcinias have been pretty trouble-free.  The lucs puts out a pair of huge leaves every six months or so.  I expect it will speed up eventually, be patient

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2022, 12:25:19 AM »
I grew Garcinia warrenii from Nth Qld. It had a huge carrot like taproot and didn't seem to like root disturbance much.
How about other Garcinia species, any care needed with transplanting ??

tru

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2022, 12:47:24 AM »
I grew Garcinia warrenii from Nth Qld. It had a huge carrot like taproot and didn't seem to like root disturbance much.
How about other Garcinia species, any care needed with transplanting ??

The lemondrop, brasiliensis, and seashore leaves all suffered from transplanting much more than achacha, cuban, luc, and imbe, but nothing bad at all.
The imbe pushed new leaves like 2 days after transplant, it doesn't seem to care. Achacha stalled for a ~week, cuban and luc stalled for 4-6 weeks but no foliage damage.

Minor leaf shock symptoms appeared on the thin and fragile rooted ones only, I bet a garcinia with a similar growth pattern to lemondrop would develop the leaf damage too.

Your warrenii sounds like the luc and cubans, ridiculously thick taproots. I bet it'd react like lucs; freezes for a while but gave me no trouble.

I think I could go further and generalize them in 3 groups:

- thin and fragile roots (lemondrop, brasiliensis, seashore)
- thin and tough roots (achacha, imbe)
- thick and tough roots (lucs, cuban)

With somewhat similar growth patterns contained in each group. Anyone else notice/confirm these patterns?

Which also I think is weird, because looking at achacha and imbe you wouldn't really compare them, especially considering how unique both species leaves are for garcinias, but after watching them for a while I can't help but notice how related they act. Or maybe this is a classic case of sample bias  ;)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2022, 01:02:40 AM by tru »
instagram @trumansacco

Satya

• North Miami Beach, FL , Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • Growing rare tropicals and fruit trees.
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2022, 09:39:02 AM »
I grew about 30 Luc's from seed at once, they were all growing at very different rates, though all conditions seemed the same. They usually flush as soon as warm months and rains come, can hibernate for ever and then give several flushes one after another. Not a difficult plant to grow, I forget them and they do their thing. Even in drought months I haven't watered them for weeks, and they were just fine, no deficiencies, no shriveling. But I grew them in really tall citrapots so the root had lots of support, and came out at the bottom to suck water from the bottom trays. The tap is very strong and hard, almost like another trunk, lol
Same with the large one in ground, as long as it's somewhat protected from full sun, it's happy, even without irrigation.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk