Author Topic: What Do Coconut Cream Mango Leaves Smell Like?  (Read 553 times)

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
What Do Coconut Cream Mango Leaves Smell Like?
« on: November 15, 2022, 08:18:33 PM »
I have a Coconut Cream seedling whose leaves don't smell like a Coconut Cream mango. The leaves have kind of an "off" Indian-type (aka piney) smell. It makes me nervous the fruit won't be good. What do real Coconut Cream leaves smell like?

On a side note, I've gotten the widest range of leaf smells from my Sugarloaf seedlings. Some seedling leaves smell like pineapple-type mangos, some like Indochinese-type mangos, some like Indian-type mangos.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
Re: What Do Coconut Cream Mango Leaves Smell Like?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2022, 08:45:04 PM »
Just went and sniffed CC and SL leaves, from grafted trees. They actually smell quite similar to me, with mild citrus aroma. SL was a little stronger.

LOL, my wife says they both smell like grass.

Seems leaves aren't smelling as strong as usual.

Will test them again during the day. Maybe the smell is milder early evening vs daytime. 

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2022, 09:03:09 PM »
Doesn't sound like CC. For distinctive aromas, make sure to crush the leaves when they are tender fresh flush leaves. If they harden up, it's difficult to distinguish.

CC smells like other Gary offspring (as pollen parent). Like orange creamsicle/ 50/50 bar.

It's useful to judge off-type seedlings this way, as seedlings with sap smells that differ from the parent are highly likely new seedlings. If you're aiming for clones of the parent, you can discard them or graft them.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 09:05:35 PM by Oolie »

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2022, 10:03:54 PM »

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2022, 04:50:00 PM »
Thanks, roblack and Oolie! I have really young Coconut Cream seedlings with leaves that have that "creamsicle" scent (I don't like tearing off parts of leaves on really young seedlings, but had to check😋).

My big seedling tree that flowered and fruited last year has an off Indian-type smell, though. Unfortunately the fruitlets died in last year's freezes.

I do notice leaves have the strongest scent on hot, sunny days, and the scent is reduced at night and on cool, rainy, overcast days.

Thanks again! Too funny about your wife saying they smell like grass, roblack😂

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
  • FL Gulf Coast Fruit Lover Spam Fighter
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2022, 09:28:18 AM »
In my experience, tree health and time of year effect the aroma given off by crushed leaves. Crushed fall/winter leaves do not smell nearly as strong as spring/summer leaves from the same tree.