Author Topic: 12x12 nut tree  (Read 403 times)

TheVeggieProfessor

• Broward County, FL, 10b
    • View Profile
12x12 nut tree
« on: November 21, 2022, 09:59:41 AM »
Hi all. I am looking to plant a tree to the south of my house that can help to provide some shade. From my house to the fence, there is about 20'. My roof has an over hang of a few feet, plus I want to be able to walk comfortably around the tree, so I'm looking for something that can be maintained in the neighborhood of 12x12 or so (a little bigger is fine). I thought macadamia could be nice. I'm more interested in tropical almond, but am not sure if that will fruit well if I attempt to maintain it at 12x12. Any experiences? Other recommendations?

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
Re: 12x12 nut tree
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2022, 10:08:46 AM »
Macadamia will produce better if you have two trees
Beaumont is a self pollinating type if you decide on macadamia.

Vegan Potato Man

• Honaunau, HI
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2022, 04:11:36 PM »
Hi all. I am looking to plant a tree to the south of my house that can help to provide some shade. From my house to the fence, there is about 20'. My roof has an over hang of a few feet, plus I want to be able to walk comfortably around the tree, so I'm looking for something that can be maintained in the neighborhood of 12x12 or so (a little bigger is fine). I thought macadamia could be nice. I'm more interested in tropical almond, but am not sure if that will fruit well if I attempt to maintain it at 12x12. Any experiences? Other recommendations?

Tropical almond is a very large tree. We just cut down the one out front that had been topped repeatedly to save the neighbors view. I'd suggest something like barringtonia edulis if that is available and suitable for your location.

Jackfruit seeds are edible as well, kind of like little potatoes when you boil them. Worth a thought.

TheVeggieProfessor

• Broward County, FL, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2022, 05:03:18 PM »

Tropical almond is a very large tree. We just cut down the one out front that had been topped repeatedly to save the neighbors view. I'd suggest something like barringtonia edulis if that is available and suitable for your location.

Jackfruit seeds are edible as well, kind of like little potatoes when you boil them. Worth a thought.

Thanks (I'm vegan too btw). I have a jackfruit tree and would plant another if the wife would let me.

Cut nut might grow here. I'm not sure. I'll have to research it. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk