Author Topic: How cold will it get in your part of Florida in the next week  (Read 5081 times)

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
Re: How cold will it get in your part of Florida in the next week
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2022, 01:51:48 PM »

Usually 32 is the magick number where you'll see dead leaves but usually won't kill the tree. Usually takes the low 20s to kill most plants because we are talking about the low lasting only a few hours maybe a couple.

It's true. At my place in CA at 2200' we often get weather down to 25f and things that SHOULD get damaged sometimes come out miraculously unharmed. Yes it hits 25f, but only for about 1hr, with 2 hrs of 32f on either side.

For all you with sabara jabos, don't worry too much. For the rest of your collections, I can't say anything but wishing you good luck and health!

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2022, 07:57:50 PM »
Latest forecast has temps dropping to 43 overnight here. Around my place, it usually gets a few degrees colder than the local forecast and readings. Wouldn't be surprised to see 40 or maybe even lower. For those farther north, it's gonna get real cold. 

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2022, 07:40:54 AM »
Latest forecast has temps dropping to 43 overnight here. Around my place, it usually gets a few degrees colder than the local forecast and readings. Wouldn't be surprised to see 40 or maybe even lower. For those farther north, it's gonna get real cold.

Projected a low of 41 here tonight.
And a few days of a prolonged cold spell, I expected a good mango bloom in late Jan.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2022, 10:36:16 AM »

I don't mind saying I hate cold weather.

ditto

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2022, 10:44:30 AM »
Hi lighted section is the disappointment:

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2022, 11:04:16 AM »

Meaning you wanted the cold weather to last longer?
John

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2022, 12:14:42 PM »

Meaning you wanted the cold weather to last longer?

Correct. 5 nights below 60F will trigger bloom on sensitive and “tropical” cultivars. For example, all the remaining uninitiated canopy on our Edward, Rosigold, Rosa and Dwarf Hawaiian trees will go, as well as some amount of canopy on varieties like Angie and Pickering , mostly the very mature stems on those.

But a good chunk of varieties with a normal or difficult trigger will do little or nothing off of this. The only benefit to them will be that it will help keep them dormant despite the rainfall. Most of the stuff that had late growth flushes in Fall will also stay put, which is another reason why you want to get your mango pruning done before the end of August in this part of Florida.

So hopefully we’ll have a nice extended period of sub-60F temps here at some point in January.

1rainman

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2022, 12:16:39 PM »
I'd rather have highs in the 60s and 70s than 80s with the Florida sun it feels hotter than it is so 69 feels like room temperature when in the sun.

I saw a post about pineapples. The tops will die but the plant will grow back after a freeze. They can grow wild in the woods here or without care. Of course a prolonged cold like up north they won't survive but a nighttime freeze doesn't kill them. Same with most bananas the top will die but it will grow back from the roots. If they are in pots might be a problem with the roots freezing that may kill it but in the ground they survive. We had them way back in the day when we got two or three freezes almost every year. It's good to cover them or bring them in if you want fruit though.

RS

• Central FL, 9b/10a microclimate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2022, 05:03:57 PM »
For all you with sabara jabos, don't worry too much. For the rest of your collections, I can't say anything but wishing you good luck and health!

18 with wind chill tonight :( I hope you're right K-Rimes. Fruiting sabara is wrapped, 9' jackfruit looks like a big green monster. The dang heater I ordered is delayed...hoping for the best!

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2022, 10:41:52 PM »
Tomorrow's high is supposed to be 51°F and go down to the low 30s overnight. Should I just leave my plants covered with the frost cloth, or is it better to take off the frost cloth and let them "breathe"? Thanks!

Calusa

• St Petersburg, Florida 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2022, 10:45:39 PM »
I have always just left my covers on for the duration of the cold snap.

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2022, 11:18:10 PM »
Thanks, Calusa!

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2022, 09:27:41 AM »
36F with a light breeze last night/morning
No Frost

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2022, 09:39:40 AM »
It was 46 at 8:30am here 2 miles from the ocean.  The papaya plants are looking a little droopy.
John

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2022, 09:53:10 AM »
37° per AccuWeather. No frost.

Of the 4 sites I followed (NOAA forecast 32°, WINK News 34°, weather.com 34°, AccuWeather 36°), AccuWeather was the most accurate, fortunately. If this was Price Is Right, they'd be the next contestant.

NOAA is saying 32° and AccuWeather 38° for tonight. Hoping AccuWeather prevails.

johnb51, you gotta toughen them papayas up. Mine were uncovered last night and look none the worse for wear.

1rainman

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2022, 02:53:54 PM »
33 last night. No frost. Don't know why everyone was freaking out. Will have to check my grape seedlings in a few days.

Calusa

• St Petersburg, Florida 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2022, 03:26:42 PM »
It was 34 this morning at 7am in the 33702 zip code St Pete.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 25, 2022, 08:09:49 AM »
Usually when we get a freeze this early its not the only one for the year--and often is not the worst.
They say it might get cold but I've seen no evidence of this

Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 25, 2022, 08:21:50 AM »
Wow, great photos, bovine421! Would wind affect the effectiveness of your system?

So far the lowest reading has been 38° here this morning.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 25, 2022, 08:37:02 AM »
Wow, great photos, bovine421! Would wind affect the effectiveness of your system?

So far the lowest reading has been 38° here this morning.

Yes the winds were too strong last night to use it but the temperatures didn't get as low

I had them set up with overhead Frost protection but this advent freeze event with high winds cost me not to use it last night I saw that the wind speeds would be less than 10 miles an hour they were predicting a very long duration below freezing so I contemplated complete defoliation setback or micro jet ice buildup in limb breakage so far none. So in time I will see if I made the right choice. Malika was completely not protected but she is a survivor of many frost events
« Last Edit: December 25, 2022, 09:00:26 AM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 25, 2022, 04:06:38 PM »
Usually when we get a freeze this early its not the only one for the year--and often is not the worst.
They say it might get cold but I've seen no evidence of this

Lol! Merry Christmas Bovine! I know what you mean with the ice build up and wind. On occasion my Dad has gone out and shaken the trees while the water was running to get the ice to slough off. Amazingly, the ice typically isn't stuck on that tight and a good shake will knock it off. Its also the fastest way I know of getting hypothermia  :o, but it did save some trees from breaking a couple years ago. We've found over the years that bushy trees that branch low to the ground suffer less from breakage. Long branches with narow angles break easier.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2023, 10:03:59 AM »
Another strong cold front is on the way this weekend.  I haven't seen any mango trees blossoming around here.  Hopefully this weather will cause some to bloom.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed with the lychee tree.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2023, 10:07:51 AM by johnb51 »
John

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2023, 08:44:02 PM »
Indeed, here we go again.  The last cold spell got a couple of varieties going.  The flowers are just beginning to form.
This one should push most over the ledge.
With temperatures potentially dropping into the mid 30s, I have to move potted delicate plants into the garage again.

yoski

• Sebring, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2023, 03:15:24 PM »

The Rosigold flowered in November, right after the first cold spell. Survived flooding after the hurricane and the nasty cold spell around X-mas. On the lake it usually stays 4-5 degrees warmer than the forecast. Strong winds from the NW are always a sign of cold weather ahead. Hopefully we're done after this.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2023, 05:44:56 PM »
Brought in breadfruit, all small garcinias, and all small eugenias for protection tonight. Low of 47F this morning, 39F forecast overnight.