Author Topic: Can a Mango Tree change it's mind?  (Read 507 times)

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
Can a Mango Tree change it's mind?
« on: December 31, 2022, 06:46:45 PM »
Weird question that I hope I can articulate. I searched for an answer on the interwebs, but couldn't find one.

Most of my mature Mango trees looked like they were going to have a flush of growth going into last week's cold weather. As a lot of trees did indeed push new growth just prior to the cold, I'm guessing the swelling buds on the mature trees are (were?) going to be new leaves. But since we had the cold, could the tree "change its mind" and convert new leaves into flower panicles? Is this what Mixed Bloom is?

Just a question that came to me as I wandered the yard hoping all mature trees bloom.

Thanks!

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Can a Mango Tree change it's mind?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2022, 07:22:19 PM »
Actually, the buds must be growing when the cold comes to initiate bloom for both lychee and mango. If the flush is too far along, you'll get nothing. But if it is just starting, you get bloom. I believe the magic number for bud length is 10mm (slightly less than half an inch).

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2023, 06:04:28 AM »
Thanks, Galatians522! The only other factor is that these are seedling trees between 4 1/2 and 5 1/2 years old. One did flower and set fruits last year, which were lost in the freezes, so I'm hopeful it'll fruit again this year. Happy New Year!

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2023, 01:16:46 PM »
Thanks, Galatians522! The only other factor is that these are seedling trees between 4 1/2 and 5 1/2 years old. One did flower and set fruits last year, which were lost in the freezes, so I'm hopeful it'll fruit again this year. Happy New Year!

Well, that does make a difference for any of the trees that have not bloomed yet. Happy New Year!