Author Topic: Durian + Salak Seedlings - South Florida  (Read 828 times)

FloridaManDan

• Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
Durian + Salak Seedlings - South Florida
« on: January 08, 2023, 04:40:39 PM »
Hey all,

If you've traded with me before, you know I love to collect & grow, but have super-limited space to keep most plants to maturity. I'm sure many on the forum can relate.

My intention with this post is to give away the following seedlings to those in Zone 10+ (Florida) to get some of these species better established in the States. I would prefer to meet in person rather than ship. Sorry to those interested that aren't in the proper growing zone, but as my intention is to give these away, it would be throwing my time and money down the drain to send them to death.

"Rainbow" Durian aka Pelangi Durian (Durio zibethinus) - Sourced from Papua, Indonesia; seller has provided me the following information for this cultivar: It is a sweet and creamy Durian popular for its sporadic red coloration; the odor is not intense. The red coloration occurs from mixed genetics - these have naturally hybridized over time with D. graveolens. Fruit production begins between 3-5 years and peak production begins between years 7-10.
  • I currently have a total of 12 Durian seedlings. They are a few months old, and the majority survived the temps dipping into the 40s a couple of weeks ago with limited protection. True Leaves are emerging on all seedlings. With their fat taproot, these Durians need to be planted in the ground ASAP to avoid root issues. I am keeping an eye on 3 more seedlings that may or may not survive. I am providing these seedlings in groups of 3 or more.
    If you are interested, I ask you meet the following conditions:
    • Are actually interested in growing these to maturity. Any intention to resell these will be met with the fury of 10,000 Suns.
    • Have adequate yard space/conditions to grow these trees to maturity. Durians like full sun, water, nutrients, etc; suggested spacing between trees is 30-50ft. Im assuming if youre interested, you know what work this will take.
    • Willing to train/prune the tree. This is a necessary step in a young Durian trees life, especially in consideration of future quality and quantity of the fruit produced.

Additionally, I have 34 Sidempuan Snakefruit (Salacca sumatrana) I am looking to give away for the same reason. Here is the information I have provided by the seller: This is a variety not widely known or cultivated outside of Padang Sidempuan, Sumatra (source). The tree itself is smaller and shorter than its popular cousin, Salacca zalacca, but is reported to have a tastier fruit. The flesh of the fruit has sporadic red coloration. This tree is an understory/shade-loving tree, good to plant in clumps under something larger you may have fruiting right now. The downside to this variety, as with most snake fruit, is there are countless spines on the tree, and atleast 1 male plant is required for pollination. Not suggested for those with young kids. First harvest generally occurs between 3-5 years.
  • I ask that you meet the same basic criteria as outlined for the Durians; of course, nutrient and growing conditions will be different. I will only be giving these out in groups of 4 or more.

I'm not looking for anything in return, but trying some of the fruit in X amount of years would be appreciated ;D I'm willing to work with people you know not on this forum as well, if they meet the criteria.

Thanks for yall's interest and if you have suggestions or advice to provide on this post, please do so. I am certainly no Durian expert.

Durian Seedlings

Salak Seedlings
« Last Edit: January 08, 2023, 05:14:07 PM by FloridaManDan »

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
Re: Durian + Salak Seedlings - South Florida
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2023, 05:21:08 PM »
Very generous-

Hope people take you up

FloridaManDan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2023, 06:27:19 PM »
Thanks homie. Wish I could send these your way.

FruitGrower

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2023, 06:30:31 PM »
Hi, I’m interested. Sending you a PM. Thanks.

Fruitguy

• Zone 10b - Miami, FL
    • United States, Miami,Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2023, 06:40:35 PM »
Have you considered contacting public gardens, such as the Fruit and Spice Park in Homestead, or Grimal Grove in Big Pine Key?

FloridaManDan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2023, 06:52:34 PM »
Fruitguy,

I have contacted a few county/city departments and local organizations for general fruit-growing inquiries. Most places aren't interested in a public 'community garden' set up for fruit trees, which makes sense, since they require more care and space than a simple vegetable garden. Even if not necessarily provided to the public, they still dont want to take care of them.

I would like to get these out to the fruit grower community before I contact Fruit and Spice Park. My fiancee accidentally tossed the import docs and phyto certificate awhile ago, which doesn't help when youre trying to donate to a publicly-funded park or org.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2023, 06:54:14 PM by FloridaManDan »

Stomata

• Sarasota Florida. 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2023, 08:45:57 AM »
We could possibly plant them at Palma Sola Botanical Park in Bradenton. I help maintain it for the Manatee Rare Fruit Council. Super microclimate with breadfruit doing very well.

FloridaManDan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2023, 09:06:17 AM »
I will message you Stomata. Bradenton is 9b/10a correct? If breadfruit is thriving im sure many things can.

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2023, 10:56:06 AM »
Sent you a PM

plantperson

• East Coast 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2023, 08:36:24 AM »
I wish I could get some!!! The only thing is that I'd have to keep them indoors... However, I do have some vaulted ceilings, so I could keep them pruned just enough... No intentions to sell... If they got too big I'll give them away with the same criteria that you have said previously!

FloridaManDan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2023, 09:00:28 AM »
plantperson,

I wish I had more to share! I believe all specimens are accounted for now. Although honestly, I don't think either of these guys are well suited for container living.

Contact me if you wanna discuss some spp. that may have a shot living indoors in a container.

- Dan

plantperson

• East Coast 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2023, 11:24:23 AM »
PM sent.