Author Topic: Minimum size/trunk girth to let a Pickering hold fruit?  (Read 697 times)

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
Minimum size/trunk girth to let a Pickering hold fruit?
« on: January 18, 2023, 08:34:01 PM »
Hey mango veterans
I have a 15 gallon Pickering but it has a  2 inch trunk girth and nice little canopy. It’s starting to push flower panicles Out now. I know most trees that size I remove small pea-sized fruits from, and let canopy grow…BUT as a true dwarf tree, is it reasonable to let the tree hold fruit even at 3-4 ft high with a 2 inch trunk girth and still have good foliar flushes post harvest?

Thank you

-Abie

nana7b

• North Texas, 8a
    • View Profile
Re: Minimum size/trunk girth to let a Pickering hold fruit?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2023, 08:13:24 AM »
I am no expert and have grown only 1 mango which happens to be a Pickering. Due to my climate I grow it in a container.
2 yrs. ago I harvested 5 ripe fruit from a 7gal container grown Pickering. Couple of the fruit were close to a pound and a half.
The girth may have been around an inch and a half at that time. Unfortunately it did not hold fruit in the last couple of years.

bulldawg305

• Miami, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2023, 08:54:48 AM »
I would let it hold the fruit and don't see why it wouldn't flush new growth after harvest. Assuming it's a healthy tree and has required nutrients.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2023, 01:49:57 PM »
Post a pic of that puppy!

I'm no expert, but have asked experts similar questions and have been growing mangoes for a while now.

15g is not very big for a mango root system, even if dwarf, when you consider fruit production. I would wait for fear of stunting growth or over stressing the tree. Nana reported a nice little crop on potted Pickering, and then 2 years with no fruit. Hard to say, but the crop of 1lb+ mangoes may have had an effect.

If allowed to hold fruit, would only keep 1 or 2, but not sure that is worth it. How good next year and the years after go may depend on what you decide.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2023, 02:31:16 PM »
The first thing is to wait and see if they hold
There will be a huge difference if the tree expends energy and holds fruit
or the tree focuses all its energy on growing. In a couple years you will
be rewarded by much bigger harvests if you let it mature.
If it was the only fruit this year or a really unique fruit I might be more tempted but
a Pickering wouldn't be worth it to me.

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2023, 07:28:44 PM »
I am no expert and have grown only 1 mango which happens to be a Pickering. Due to my climate I grow it in a container.
2 yrs. ago I harvested 5 ripe fruit from a 7gal container grown Pickering. Couple of the fruit were close to a pound and a half.
The girth may have been around an inch and a half at that time. Unfortunately it did not hold fruit in the last couple of years.

That’s a gorgeous container Pickering  tree. Nice pot too. Thanks for the info I wonder if it used so much energy that year that the tree still hasn’t recovered? Thanks.

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2023, 07:36:06 PM »
Thanks all for your advice. Seems general consensus is too let it get bigger first for optimal tree health and growth…
As long as I have your attention, is it ok to plant in ground now with emerging buds? Or will that stop growth of any kind? Thanks

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2023, 09:57:27 PM »
On first read, I thought you said 2 inch diameter and my thought was let that hold fruit.
You said 2 inch girth, which is two thirds of an inch across.  I agree with the general suggestion to let it grow and wait for fruits in the future.