Author Topic: Knowing all you know, where would you live in Florida to grow.  (Read 3025 times)

Shovel n Seed

• Trenton, FL 9a
    • View Profile
Knowing all you know, where would you live in Florida to grow.
« on: January 19, 2023, 09:42:45 PM »
Knowing everything you've learned, where in florida would you live in order to grow sub-tropical fruits without covering for cold.  So take into account soil, hurricane damage, water etc. I just want to grow jabos, mangoes, eugenias and such without a greenhouse. And I don't want to live in a big city. The country is great.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Re: Knowing all you know, where would you live in Florida to grow.
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2023, 09:56:55 PM »
What's wrong with a greenhouse?  Then all your problems go away  :D

Shovel n Seed

• Trenton, FL 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2023, 09:59:08 PM »
Nothing is wrong with a greenhouse but all things being equal id rather grow in a climate where I didn't need one.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2023, 10:06:09 PM »
Meritt Island is a good option. It is further north to encourage cooler temps for a good bloom, but the water all around moderates the lows from what I hear. It would not be a country setting. If you want country, you might have a look around the south side of lake Okeechobee. They used to say that to get any effect you had to be able to see the water. That land is pretty jealously guarded, though, I think. Maybe some other people have more recommendations?

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2023, 10:11:00 PM »
I've been basically everywhere in the state. If I could move down there my dream place would be somewhere near WPB give or take 50 miles north or south and inland a bit more cause it's too expensive. Warm enough to escape hard frosts. Greenhouse is such a limiting factor lol. Another place I'd consider is Pine Island...but then they just got decimated by the hurricane so maybe not. Homestead is too far south now and I hear people saying it's hard to get good blooms on mangoes now but that place is so beautiful. Or maybe I could find a place even more inland but exploit a microclimate like lake okeechobee. Who knows. It really depends on microclimate.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2023, 10:48:31 PM »
I've been basically everywhere in the state. If I could move down there my dream place would be somewhere near WPB give or take 50 miles north or south and inland a bit more cause it's too expensive. Warm enough to escape hard frosts. Greenhouse is such a limiting factor lol. Another place I'd consider is Pine Island...but then they just got decimated by the hurricane so maybe not. Homestead is too far south now and I hear people saying it's hard to get good blooms on mangoes now but that place is so beautiful. Or maybe I could find a place even more inland but exploit a microclimate like lake okeechobee. Who knows. It really depends on microclimate.

The whole state is too expensive right now. Not that long ago land was $5k-$6k/Acre. You would get trampled to death before you got back from putting the sign out at the road if you offered land at that price today.  :o

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2023, 10:58:23 PM »

The whole state is too expensive right now. Not that long ago land was $5k-$6k/Acre. You would get trampled to death before you got back from putting the sign out at the road if you offered land at that price today.  :o
Well hopefully when it's my time to buy land there it is still available! I realize even if it's only one acre I could probably grow most of what I want. Although I'd love to get several acres and plant all the fruits.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2023, 11:01:33 PM »
Surest way to avoid the worst impacts of a hurricane is to not be near the coast, waterways connected to the coast, in a trailer, or in the midst of a bunch of tall trees.

Mangoes are probably the most cold sensitive of the fruits listed. How far north are people growing without cold troubles, and what varieties fare best?

I liked Merritt Island and the surrounding area when living in Melbourne for a few years. Good surf, great restaurants, and beautiful ecosystems. Vero may have some cool areas to grow, more inland. Will ask my friends near Okeechobee and Clewiston how the fruit trees are holding up and producing. West Palm Beach area or a little north of there might be worth looking at.

Down here in the burbs south of Miami, only cold protection needed is for small seedlings so far. But the most tropical plant I grow is g. mangostana (and just added breadfruit). But, lots of mangoes and lychees are appearing to flower and fruit less over the years. When you do pick your spot, pick some mangoes wisely based upon how far north or south you are, and also zone push your favs.

Homestead and the Redlands are agricultural areas south of Miami.

Hialeah has great soil, at least at my mother in law's. Digging a hole for her reticulate was like spooning butter.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2023, 11:48:54 PM »
Any fans of Martin County?
John

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2023, 12:59:02 AM »
St Lucie County is good if your closer to the river, intercoastal, or ocean 5mi or so. I grow all types of tropicals and subtropicals outside and get little to no leaf burn recently. Coconuts and mangos grow really well. Soil is sandy slightly acidic with a couple chunks of clay scattered at deeper depths.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2023, 07:58:12 AM by nullzero »
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Shovel n Seed

• Trenton, FL 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2023, 07:08:31 AM »
Meritt Island is a good option. It is further north to encourage cooler temps for a good bloom, but the water all around moderates the lows from what I hear. It would not be a country setting. If you want country, you might have a look around the south side of lake Okeechobee. They used to say that to get any effect you had to be able to see the water. That land is pretty jealously guarded, though, I think. Maybe some other people have more recommendations?

Just looking at a map it seems Merrit Island would be expensive but the south side of Okeechobee are where my thoughts keep drifting.

Shovel n Seed

• Trenton, FL 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2023, 07:14:57 AM »

Yeah Loxahatchee is inland from West Palm Beach Beach and I know a good amount of growers there that are killing it with all kinds of fruit, especially mangoes.  Still really expensive there too. And i agree trying to find a microclimate but that's something you'll probably only find by personally exploring or knowing someone in that specific area.

Yeah Pine Island is a hard no lol I couldn't stomach that level of destruction. And  doesn't homestead have high alkaline soil?

Shovel n Seed

• Trenton, FL 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2023, 07:22:48 AM »
Surest way to avoid the worst impacts of a hurricane is to not be near the coast, waterways connected to the coast, in a trailer, or in the midst of a bunch of tall trees.

Mangoes are probably the most cold sensitive of the fruits listed. How far north are people growing without cold troubles, and what varieties fare best?

I liked Merritt Island and the surrounding area when living in Melbourne for a few years. Good surf, great restaurants, and beautiful ecosystems. Vero may have some cool areas to grow, more inland. Will ask my friends near Okeechobee and Clewiston how the fruit trees are holding up and producing. West Palm Beach area or a little north of there might be worth looking at.

Down here in the burbs south of Miami, only cold protection needed is for small seedlings so far. But the most tropical plant I grow is g. mangostana (and just added breadfruit). But, lots of mangoes and lychees are appearing to flower and fruit less over the years. When you do pick your spot, pick some mangoes wisely based upon how far north or south you are, and also zone push your favs.

Homestead and the Redlands are agricultural areas south of Miami.

Hialeah has great soil, at least at my mother in law's. Digging a hole for her reticulate was like spooning butter.

I agree with avoiding the coasts and that was my plan,  but Hialeah seems to close to Miami.  No offense but I want nothing to do with that place.

I'll have to do more research on Homestead but I thought the soils were high alkaline.

But looking at a map last night I kept focusing on clewiston so I'll do my research there as well.  Seems like a good spot if I could get closer to the lake

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2023, 08:27:42 AM »
All areas around the lake can be hit hard by hurricanes. Crime rate is particularly high in Belle Glade. Clewiston is also higher than average. Canal Point is a about average crime rate.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2023, 08:45:04 AM »
South Floridians have their challenges maybe not as Extreme as The Californians but I would say invasive species fungal resistance aging infrastructure and lots of people. Other than where I live I find the Lake Wales ridge area to be beautiful. Higher elevation possibly less Frost
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Shovel n Seed

• Trenton, FL 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2023, 10:09:07 AM »
South Floridians have their challenges maybe not as Extreme as The Californians but I would say invasive species fungal resistance aging infrastructure and lots of people. Other than where I live I find the Lake Wales ridge area to be beautiful. Higher elevation possibly less Frost

Honestly there are challenges to growing anywhere. I just want to not deal with the challenge of cold.

I'll have to research the Lakes Wales Ridge, I've not heard of that before.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2023, 10:28:36 AM »

Honestly there are challenges to growing anywhere. I just want to not deal with the challenge of cold.

I'll have to research the Lakes Wales Ridge, I've not heard of that before.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2023, 10:30:14 AM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2023, 10:37:37 AM »
I live in Miami near Homestead and the whole Miami area is very crowded.  Even Homestead is very crowded.  Yes there are farms/fields/groves, but it's still a very busy area and the city area of Homestead is very busy as well.  The quality of life here isn't good but the weather is amazing. 

Jaboticaba, I know last year was horrible but overall is Miami/Homestead still too far south to get good mango blooms?  Summer 2021 was still a great year for mangoes, I had many Glenn & Pickering mangoes.

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2023, 10:38:10 AM »
We need to add a poll to this post!

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2023, 11:09:40 AM »
Why do you say quality of life is no good? Seems like lots of good food can be grown, excellent recreation , multi cultural society. What is not to like?
If it's not very busy, your'e in the sticks and not much of anything happening surrounded by all the same ol same ol.

I live in Miami near Homestead and the whole Miami area is very crowded.  Even Homestead is very crowded.  Yes there are farms/fields/groves, but it's still a very busy area and the city area of Homestead is very busy as well.  The quality of life here isn't good but the weather is amazing. 

Jaboticaba, I know last year was horrible but overall is Miami/Homestead still too far south to get good mango blooms?  Summer 2021 was still a great year for mangoes, I had many Glenn & Pickering mangoes.

Shovel n Seed

• Trenton, FL 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2023, 11:27:13 AM »
Why do you say quality of life is no good? Seems like lots of good food can be grown, excellent recreation , multi cultural society. What is not to like?
If it's not very busy, your'e in the sticks and not much of anything happening surrounded by all the same ol same ol.

No matter where someone lives there are losers and fantastic people.  I could easily fit in within an urban environment.  I love people and their stories, the different food but I've spent a lot of time in big cities and now having lived out in the country,  west of gainesville,  I can't go back to how busy a city is.  I love the slower pace.  To be abbot 45 minutes away away from a good size city is about perfect for me.

Shovel n Seed

• Trenton, FL 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2023, 11:28:13 AM »

I wouldn't even consider Miami just bc how busy it is there.

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2023, 11:59:10 AM »

Well,
not my direct experience but just with warmer winters in general it's harder to get blooms on mangoes and stuff as they need some sort of stresser to bloom. Of course it's not game over theres plenty of mangoe trees everywhere. Just some years production may go up/down...

If I had to go to move to FL I'd also consider south of tampa area. I feel like tampa is too cold unless you're in the city, near water, or near a good microclimate. Since OP wants to be out of city, it's probably better to go further south.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2023, 12:06:17 PM »
Anyone been to Indiantown lately?  Anything good about that area?  Not too far from the lake.
John

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2023, 12:48:01 PM »
Anyone been to Indiantown lately?  Anything good about that area?  Not too far from the lake.
Coming back from West Palm Beach avocado Road love Nursery we made a pit stop there at Subway they have a excellent California guacamole sandwich. John 51 I give you credit for putting the Lake Wales Ridge on my radar 🙂