Author Topic: Which of these very late season mango trees would you recommend  (Read 2372 times)

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: Which of these very late season mango trees would you recommend
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2023, 03:27:37 PM »
I should add that some experts (not me) point to M4 as their new favorite late season mango.
My M4 held fruit until early September. Superior quality and not problems with MBBS...For me M4 is a sure winner as far as late season Mangos go.
That's great to hear about M-4!
John

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2023, 05:10:46 PM »
I should add that some experts (not me) point to M4 as their new favorite late season mango.
My M4 held fruit until early September. Superior quality and not problems with MBBS...For me M4 is a sure winner as far as late season Mangos go.
That's great to hear about M-4!
The M-4 I received last season. In late August were top tier coconutty. I noticed today my cotton candy is starting to push. This should be a very interesting season. May have to be a revision of what is classified as late and very late.
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2023, 06:54:34 PM »
M4 question..  how is it late season if my 5' tree has panicles popping out everywhere?
Is there a 2nd round or do they take more months to ripen?
First year flowering.

Ed

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2023, 07:33:02 PM »
Ed, I believe for late season it doesn’t matter when the bloom starts…it matters how prolonged a bloom period is but don’t quote me on that. I know that’s how Keitt and Beverly operate but they usually have two crops also.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2023, 09:49:17 PM »
Season is more variable the further north in the state you go because we have a longer wind of cold to induce bloom. I have seen mango trees bloom as late as the middle of April here. As a result, a variety that is typically thought of as early season (like Rosigold) can have a second round of bloom much later and may ripen with the late season fruit. Ripening time and "hang time" also play an important roll.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2023, 06:52:29 PM »

Say hello to Beverly the new edition
A friend and I stop by Truly Tropical Chris's Delray Beach to pick up Beverly and a Palmer. While I was there I could not resist a beautiful Juliet. Had a very enjoyable discussion about Ryan Marco and a Jamaican Blackie seedling brought many years ago that's producing fruit. The weather was beautiful with a strong Seabreeze very enjoyable.

Juliet
« Last Edit: February 04, 2023, 07:02:33 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry