Author Topic: Looking for gamboge FOUND  (Read 643 times)

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
Looking for gamboge FOUND
« on: February 26, 2023, 05:35:54 PM »
Thanks everyonbody!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2023, 08:12:30 PM by Jaboticaba45 »

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a gamboge plant (garcinia cambogia)
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2023, 06:56:23 PM »
I had gotten a nice one from HawaiianTropicalPlants a couple years ago, https://www.store.hawaiiantropicalplants.com/Garcinia-gummi-gutta-Gamboge-4x4x10inch-tree-pot-1638.htm

it was fairly large size and healthy.   Seems they still carry them but it says "back ordered", you could try emailing the seller he should be responsive. 

Can I ask what the attraction of gamboge is, though?  I ordered it when I was initially collecting all the garcinias I could find and didn't read up much on it, seems like it isn't really for fresh eating, maybe cooking/medicine

Nick C

• New Jersey Zone 7A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2023, 07:01:04 PM »
pretty decent sized one up on etsy right now. definitely not cheap tho

Nick C

• New Jersey Zone 7A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2023, 07:02:30 PM »
nvm thought you were referring to xanthochymus

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2023, 07:34:29 PM »
nvm thought you were referring to xanthochymus
I think you are correct. Got the names confuesed.

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2023, 07:36:30 PM »
I had gotten a nice one from HawaiianTropicalPlants a couple years ago, https://www.store.hawaiiantropicalplants.com/Garcinia-gummi-gutta-Gamboge-4x4x10inch-tree-pot-1638.htm

it was fairly large size and healthy.   Seems they still carry them but it says "back ordered", you could try emailing the seller he should be responsive. 

Can I ask what the attraction of gamboge is, though?  I ordered it when I was initially collecting all the garcinias I could find and didn't read up much on it, seems like it isn't really for fresh eating, maybe cooking/medicine
Sorry for the mix up was refering to gamboge garcinia xanthochymus.
It's going to be used as rootstock. The fruit doesn't taste too good. Way too sour. I hear it's used in curries and stuff not for eating out of hand.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a gamboge plant (garcinia xanthochymus)
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2023, 08:10:43 PM »
oh yeah I forgot gamboge is a name applied to a few different things, nm

Jabba The Hutt

• Appleton, New York, 6b/Pine Island, Bokeelia, Florida 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2023, 10:35:08 AM »

It's going to be used as rootstock. The fruit doesn't taste too good. Way too sour. I hear it's used in curries and stuff not for eating out of hand.
I actually enjoy Xanthochymus out of hand :o

Rex Begonias

• USA, FL/Brevard, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2023, 10:38:11 AM »

I agree- it’s super sour, but pretty tasty.  Eaten ripe it’s kinda like the flavor of a super sour green mango to me, but the texture of a ripe mango.   

Jabba The Hutt

• Appleton, New York, 6b/Pine Island, Bokeelia, Florida 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2023, 07:58:02 AM »

I agree- it’s super sour, but pretty tasty.  Eaten ripe it’s kinda like the flavor of a super sour green mango to me, but the texture of a ripe mango.

Great texture, taste to me is like a lemon warhead candy, makes you pucker but has enough sweetness to satisfy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk