Author Topic: Bombay mango red versus green what's the story  (Read 310 times)

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
Bombay mango red versus green what's the story
« on: April 23, 2023, 07:39:37 PM »
Is there any difference between a Red Bombay and a Green Bombay mango. Is it more than just color. I've Been Told the red from Jamaica fruits better. I have the green Bombay but if the red one blooms easier. That's the one I want

Rasta update in Jamaica the red is bigger

« Last Edit: April 23, 2023, 09:03:47 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Bombay mango red versus green what's the story
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2023, 05:58:40 PM »
In case anyone's interested other than me. Tropical Acre Farms answered my question for me. So if I'm understanding the original USDA Bombay is green there's some seedling variants that can potentially be larger or of different color from yellow to red. Julian from Lara Farms has a Red Bombay so I've ordered some bud wood to add to my collection. Here's the TAF response to the question.
The mango we know as Bombay from Jamaica develops red blush with sun exposure. This is the same mango as Pirie/Raspuri/Peters/probably 3 or 4 other names in India.
In India there is a mango known as “Bombay Green” which is a different mango from Pairi/Raspuri, and I believe also a Bombay Yellow.
Within Jamaica I’m not aware of any different types of Bombay but there are probably colloquial names in certain areas. Given that it’s monoembryonic it’s progeny probably vary widely in terms of similarity. It’s certainly in the parentage of some of the other Jamaican mangos though
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2023, 06:26:36 PM »
Bovine,
your story gets me thinking...I could've remembered that maha chanok was red/orange/yellow. But last year, I've had only yellow ones.
I don't know if I'm tripping - are they one color - or maybe not?

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2023, 07:30:28 PM »
Bovine,
your story gets me thinking...I could've remembered that maha chanok was red/orange/yellow. But last year, I've had only yellow ones.
I don't know if I'm tripping - are they one color - or maybe not?
Maybe you are listening to The Beatles and got Kaleidoscope eyes🤩

This is my Excalibur Bombay I have a Seedling of Bombay called the Marc Anthony grafted onto it. And hopefully Julian comes through with his Red Bombay. It'll be quite the Bombay cocktail tree.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk