Author Topic: Mango trees dropped all fruit, now pushing new vegetation, fertilizing to blame?  (Read 518 times)

rainking430

• USA, Florida, Jupiter Farms
    • View Profile
I guess I'm still kind of new to this whole thing, going by different advice I've gotten over the years but it hurts when you learn what doesn't actually work because you have to wait a whole year to benefit from the lesson. Anyway:

Going by advice I received long ago, after fruit set I applied some 0-0-50 (and a little gypsum) around the drip lines, and then sprayed with Keyplex 350DP (with some adjuvant). Within just a couple of days all the fruit dropped off. You have no idea how disheartened I was to see that. And now a couple of weeks later I am seeing a ton of new vegetative growth. Was my fertilizing to blame or just coincidence?

Thanks

fruitnut1944

• Alpine Texas
    • View Profile
It's unlikely that the fertilizer caused fruit drop. If it were to do that you should see some other damage, not more growth. So likely it's a coinsidence.

That doesn't make it any easier. When it takes a year to get another shot the loss really stings. I've lost many crops mostly to spring freezes. They all hurt.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
Same thing happened to me a couple of years ago; fertilized just before fruiting and some trees just after. Worst year ever, and fruit all dropped. Not a coincidence, and has been validated by others.

Do not fert when flowering or fruiting unless you know what you are doing or are okay with experimenting. Fert usually should be done well before flowering from what I can tell.

Keeping it simple with my workhorses, and things are back on track. Going to experiment more with foliar feeding and micros during flowering and fruiting, but not on trees I am depending on. Much to learn have I

Calusa

• St Petersburg, Florida 10a
    • View Profile
I guess I'm still kind of new to this whole thing, going by different advice I've gotten over the years but it hurts when you learn what doesn't actually work because you have to wait a whole year to benefit from the lesson. Anyway:

Going by advice I received long ago, after fruit set I applied some 0-0-50 (and a little gypsum) around the drip lines, and then sprayed with Keyplex 350DP (with some adjuvant). Within just a couple of days all the fruit dropped off. You have no idea how disheartened I was to see that. And now a couple of weeks later I am seeing a ton of new vegetative growth. Was my fertilizing to blame or just coincidence?

Thanks

I think that sometimes we try to do too much. I know a lady in Tampa who has a 40 year old Carrie in her front yard and that tree never receives any fertilizer or care other than getting a good pruning every other year. The fruits are nothing short of amazing and the tree is usually very prolific.

rainking430

• USA, Florida, Jupiter Farms
    • View Profile
Thanks everyone, I agree that I am probably over handling these trees. I think I will cut back on how much I fertilize, at least not doing anything around flowering and fruiting. And then go from there.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
Once my mango trees started producing I quit fertilizing them.
My neighbor has a couple mature trees. An Angie and a lancitilia and both are
the darkest green I have ever seen mango trees and both didn't produce one
flower this year

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
Funny, my Lancitilla is doing better than my others.

Regards,

Gary

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
Rainking, how big is tree & how much was some?
Sorry it happened.