Author Topic: Help save my Pim Sen Mun  (Read 478 times)

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
Help save my Pim Sen Mun
« on: May 28, 2023, 09:30:37 PM »
I have a Pim Sen Mun that had done very well. Fruits well, grows vigorously nice tree.  The problem is I have do not like the fruit much.  I tried it green and I must be doing something wrong (it tasted so so, nothing to rave about).  I tried it ripe and it was full or dark fibers. 

Please let me know if there is a best time to pick this to get its best flavor.  Perhaps green and let ripen, or just coloring on the tree ....

Also if you like this green, what it the key to enjoying it. 

All suggestions welcome.

If I can't get to love the Pim Sen Mun, I could use the space.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Help save my Pim Sen Mun
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2023, 09:40:28 PM »
I don't know Pim Sen Mun specifically, but with my Nam Doc Mai it gets the dark fibers when the fruit is picked too late. Fruit that turns yellow on the tree tastes washed out because there is no acid to balance the sweet. They taste best when picked mature green and ripened in a paper bag. If part of the fruit turns yellow in the bag I know that I hit them just right. When ripened this way, there usually are no dark fibers. I would bet your PSM is the same way.

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2023, 09:45:27 PM »
Thanks, I will try this.  I have so many to experiment with.

Artocarpus

• Naples Fl 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2023, 01:33:17 PM »
When the fully formed fruits begin to drop they are at there peak. You can try eating them while still firm or even hard a couple of days before they fully ripen.they are interesting to eat at that stage. Much more asian mango taste profile. Fully ripe fruits are good for dehydrating. Eventually you will find the right time to eat them to suit your pallet. Mine here in Naples has been a steady producer and comes in a earlier than many other cultivars and is unique treasure for me. I hope yours will serve you as much. Also as good candidate for pruning so as to not take up too much room if that is important. Grows without much help and desease resistant. Give it a chance, you will see.

Lovetoplant

• Oxnard,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2023, 02:40:42 PM »
I am Thai and the Thais enjoy eating this variety green.  Best way to enjoy it is to peel off the skin, cut into wedged shape, and then dip each piece into salt+crush dried chili and little sugar each bite.
You can substitute dried chili with fresh chopped up Thai chili, which is better tasting
« Last Edit: May 31, 2023, 02:44:58 PM by Lovetoplant »

Tommyng

• Acreage florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2023, 03:55:03 PM »
Akin , try it mostly yellow with some green on it, it should be firm. It’ll have a longan flavor. It should have no fiber. It’s a good sweet mango, if you like longans. Some like it green, dipped in a chili sauce.
Don’t rush, take time and enjoy life and food.

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2023, 10:13:59 PM »
As primarily a ripe mango consumer I never liked most if the Thai varies we have access to stateside. (Exception behind Thai everbearing)
I had a nam doc but started top working it a few years back.
Most of the time I have them they are pretty one note.
Rarely, I find the magical zone of ripeness where the fruit still has a little sub acid flavor. In these cases I actually like them quite a bit.
Maybe it might be easier to find with psm.
If not, no harm in top working it branch by branch over a few years

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2023, 07:52:38 PM »
OK, at least one or two more years.

I will spend this year trying to find the sweet spot for harvesting.

Skhan, like you I am a ripe mango eater.  I hope to find a good ripe stage for this fruit because the tree is a prolific producer in my yard.