Author Topic: Shampoo ginger awapuhi  (Read 278 times)

Tortuga

• Myrtle Beach, SC
    • View Profile
Shampoo ginger awapuhi
« on: September 26, 2023, 04:33:25 PM »
Iím pretty intrigued by the cosmetic uses of this plant. I recently ordered some rhizomes to grow and possibly harvest next year. As someone who lives in zone 8b how should I go about taking care of these rhizomes? Keep them potted until free of frost indoors or greenhouse? Store the rhizome in a cool dry place?

Thanks for the responses!

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Shampoo ginger awapuhi
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2023, 06:52:27 PM »
Here in 9b they die down in another few months and sprout back in the spring. I would plant in lightly moist soil and keep inside until the danger of frost is past. They do well in shade as long as it is not too deep. So, I assume they would survive the low light levels indoors just fine until spring. I consider it more of a conditioner than a shampoo. If you put it in your hair after a shower and let it naturally dry (which can take a while) your hair gets super soft and glossy.

Tortuga

• Myrtle Beach, SC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2023, 05:20:01 PM »
Here in 9b they die down in another few months and sprout back in the spring. I would plant in lightly moist soil and keep inside until the danger of frost is past. They do well in shade as long as it is not too deep. So, I assume they would survive the low light levels indoors just fine until spring. I consider it more of a conditioner than a shampoo. If you put it in your hair after a shower and let it naturally dry (which can take a while) your hair gets super soft and glossy.

Thatís good to know thanks! And cool to know about it being a conditioner. My sole purpose in growing these is for my own natural hair cleanser so Iíll be excited if these bad boys produce next year!

Vegan Potato Man

• Honaunau, HI
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2023, 01:25:08 PM »
They basically grow as a weed on our property here on Hawaii. I couldn't give advice for mainland care though.

I thought it was regular ginger and I tasted one of the root.

Would not recommend. So soapy.

Edit: According to this you have to eat the root at the right time and place, ill have to give it another go
https://tropical.theferns.info/viewtropical.php?id=Zingiber+zerumbet
« Last Edit: September 28, 2023, 01:28:28 PM by Vegan Potato Man »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk