Author Topic: Rangpur vs red lime  (Read 998 times)

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
Rangpur vs red lime
« on: November 14, 2020, 11:53:51 PM »
Same thing or two different species?

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Re: Rangpur vs red lime
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2020, 08:50:12 AM »
They are definitely different.  I have a red lime and I used to have a rangpur but I got rid of it. 

Red lime is likely a hybrid of Rangpur and a kumquat.  I think 'red lime' should be called rangpurquat.

Rangpur is a sour mandarin with a slight spicy taste.  'Red Lime' has edible skin like other kumquats and has less of a spicy taste.   If you are looking to choose between the two I would definitely suggest red lime over rangpur.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2020, 03:13:49 PM »
I had a rangpour and did not care for its taste.

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2020, 07:40:58 PM »
Haha it’s funny you say that because I do have a red lime and was curious if a rangpur was worth using the space on.. how does rangpur compare to a calamondin?

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2020, 09:58:38 PM »
Rangpur taste is kind of like a spicy calomondin.   Calomondin is better in my opinion.  Both are very sour
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 10:07:04 PM by brian »

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2020, 03:06:49 PM »
In my opinion both calomondin and Rangpur are worthless.  I once hand a calomondin tree which I happily tossed out.

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2020, 11:46:45 PM »
LOL. My only calamondin is in the shade. I used the sunny locations on the property for more worthwhile fruits. I do have to admit though, one of the main reasons I am growing this calamondin (as well as red lime, satsumas and kumquats) is for hopeful cross-pollination with other better varieties, and transmission of the cold hardy calamondin dna into those seeds/offspring. I tend to plant as many seeds as possible from all the fruit produced on the property because I know cold hardy citrus from one area with perhaps lesser quality fruit is likely to cross pollinate others that are less cold hardy from other parts of the property. I think this will turn out interesting in a few years..