Author Topic: Jaboticabas & such ...  (Read 30852 times)

tropical66

• Seri Kembangan, Selangor, Malaysia
    • View Profile
Re: Jaboticabas & such ...
« Reply #75 on: September 09, 2012, 09:09:44 AM »
Use a well drained soil medium with lots of organic matter. Jaboticabas like lots of water. Put the pot on a saucer and keep the saucer full of water for them to absorb all the time. Fertilize every 3 months. They are slow growing plants, but with lots of food and water you can speed them up a lot.

Don't forget that they like a ph as low as 4-5.5 or so...depending on Species.  They hate excessive fertilizer, and young plants will be killed easily by a heavy application.

I fertilize mine monthly, but at about 1/4-1/2 of the recommended amount (on the bag of Espoma Holly-tone).

Also don't forget that your tree will fruit much sooner in certain cases if you thin out the larger branches, encouraging more sunlight to penetrate to the caulis, and more flowers to emerge over time...where they are most abundant on most species....the caulis (old wood)....and each node that produces flowers, will increase in productivity...starting out with the first blooms being only 1-8 per node...then over time they can have an excess of 25 or so, individual blooms emerging, per flowering node.

Pruning jaboticabas is not for every grower (those in areas subject to harsh winters should think twice) and definitely not for every species of Myrciaria/Plinia.

But it looks like yours will enjoy some pruning over the years...they appear to be the most common variety on the planet...Myrciaria jaboticaba (Sabara)...and considered one of the premier cultivars.

(PS...what is your soil comprised of? Looks like a nice red/ orange color...I wonder if you purchased them with this soil, or if you added it yourself?  Most jabuticabeira seem to enjoy the terra vermehla (red colored earth...with clay and good Fe content) and other organic matter.

Best of luck with your wise purchase.

Thanks ASaffron for the useful information. I only used our local ( laterite ) soil. Laterite ( Latosol ) soil that is rich in iron, aluminium, or silica and formed in tropical woodlands ( rainforest ) under very humid climate with relatively high temperature. The  soil color red to yellow, so often called the “Red Soil”. For my potting I mixed the red soil with clay and peat moss. Maybe I will add some compost to enrich the soil.

( PS....Can I use fermented seaweed for fertilizing my jaboticaba )

There is nothing more beautiful than PEACE - Unite All Mankind.

tropical66

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 11, 2012, 10:44:16 AM »

Hi all,

What is the good effects of using zeolite to potting mix soil and for the jaboticaba tree?Can zeolite reduce the acidic level in the potting soil?Is it necessary to add either fulvic acid or humic acid to the soil, to increased acidic level in the potting mix?

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #77 on: February 08, 2013, 11:18:46 AM »
Saff is there an easy way to rid seeds that are preparing for a trip of that tenaceous flesh? All 3 sabaras of mine have just a few fruit but are covered in flower buds.I also found flowers on my 2 yellow jabs.The sabaras are crazy productive and the fruit have a great taste.

Here is another way to clean them...

spit the seeds out, as your eating them, onto a sheet of news paper.

Make sure all seeds come in contact with the paper...and roll them up, or ball them up...

Let the ball, or roll of news paper and seeds dry out for a few days (it should still be somewhat moist).

After this, you'll have to pick apart the seeds carefully...they should have newspaper stuck to the pulp. 
Instead of wet, slippery and tenacious pulp to remove, you'll have something that scrapes off like wallpaper.

The fruit pulp is much easier to remove this way....also, jaboticaba seeds like to dry out...just a little bit, before they're planted.  Never totally dry...but drier than super fresh seeds.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #78 on: February 08, 2013, 10:50:04 PM »
I find easiest way to clean jaboticaba seeds is to use fruits that are over ripe and fell to the ground, or dried  a bit on the tree.
Oscar

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 13, 2013, 02:24:18 AM »
Anyone in Zone-10b have a Jaboticaba cultivar that they can recommend?

Tropical66, that is one nice looking cat.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

tropical66

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 13, 2013, 02:56:51 AM »

Hi LEOOEL,

Thanks for the compliment. It is a hybrid cat and have the bloodline of the Felis bengalensis and housecat

tropical66

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 13, 2013, 02:58:42 AM »

Hi all,

The Sabaras and Trunciflora is it the same or it is a different variety?

cheers

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 13, 2013, 03:29:29 AM »
Faezal they are different species and both very good quality jaboticabas.My cat called Oscar looks alot like your cat.He is on security detail while when I leave in a few hours.

tropical66

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 13, 2013, 04:33:17 AM »
Faezal they are different species and both very good quality jaboticabas.My cat called Oscar looks alot like your cat.He is on security detail while when I leave in a few hours.

Hi Mike,

Your cat names Oscar, its reminds me one of the member in Hawaii ;D ;D. Your Oscar guarding your jaboticabas and other fruitings fruit tree from the parakeet and cockatiel?

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 13, 2013, 04:56:37 AM »
Faezal Oscar the cat is a scaredy cat when it comes to cockatoos and flying foxes but anything smaller than a pigeon better watch out.The rainbow lorikeets better watch out.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 13, 2013, 06:26:01 AM »

Hi Leooel,
I am growing Plinia cauliflora, here in the highlands and the tree does very well...only drops few old leaves with the cold. I reckon you can grow them without probs ;) I have even heard from an acquaintance that there is a fruiting Jabuticaba, in the Azores(can't remember which Island, though)...don't know if it's true or not. At the orchard, in Calheta where it more warmer then here...the tree keeps on growing, and no defoliation whats so ever 8)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!