Author Topic: Bringing the finger limes indoors - any tips?  (Read 1011 times)

nullroar

• 7b
    • View Profile
Bringing the finger limes indoors - any tips?
« on: October 19, 2021, 01:54:10 AM »
Hey folks, bringing several finger limes and a blood orange indoors for the winter here in 7b.

This will actually be the first time I've grown citrus indoors, other than a mostly dormant kumquat. Does anyone have any specific tips for finger limes? Never grown them before (indoors OR outdoors).

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
Re: Bringing the finger limes indoors - any tips?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2021, 03:40:09 AM »
Neem oil them like crazy at least a couple of times before bringing them inside. That is just a general rule I have for all citrus, because indoor citrus attract spider mites like the two are magnetized. Finger limes' small leaves make even a mild infestation of spider mites especially damaging.

Also, be careful with your soil moisture level for indoor citrus. You want to avoid root rot, and you can get it pretty quickly with any citrus. Add together a plastic pot, too much water, and cooler temperatures, and your citrus can take a turn for the worse, particularly if they are small and have not filled out their containers. Neither finger limes nor blood oranges grow particularly prolific root systems, in my experience with them as container plants; their root systems are somewhat weak in comparison to limes, lemons, etc., making them a bit more susceptible to root rot. Of course, if yours are grafted, you have to worry more about whatever root stock they are on.

nullroar

• 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2021, 04:06:50 PM »
Thanks for the advice!

Tortuga

• Myrtle Beach, SC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2021, 09:22:14 AM »
The blood orange can hang outside longer than your finger lime. Finger limes prefer 45F and up. Im in zone 8b and last winter I put mine on a wooden pallet with caster wheels and wheeled it in and out of the garage from mid November to end of March and it did just fine. As mentioned earlier, go light on watering and do not fertilize or prune at this time