Author Topic: Asiminaholics Anonymous  (Read 106752 times)

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
Re: Asiminaholics Anonymous
« Reply #125 on: March 15, 2017, 10:51:38 AM »
With Luis giving us an update, I thought I would do the same.
I have 7 one-year-old seedlings that I've just brought out of winter storage in a friend's basement. They range from 9 inches tall to 20 inches. Seeds were from wild fruit. They are pretty thin - not even pencil thickness except maybe at the base of the tallest plant.
Not sure what i'm going to do with these. I may plant some in the ground soon or I may keep them in pots another year until they get grafting size.
My primary focus now is nurturing 72 seeds I planted at the end of January. I have 72 Treepots (14 inch deep) each planted with one seed.
Seeds are a mix of wild seed and seeds from named varieties like Susquehanna, Sweet Alice, Wabash, Sunflower, and the new KSU release Benson. I have some seeds that are just about to send up shoots. In the deep pots I think they take a bit longer while the taproot gets to the bottom. I plan to plant these in the spring of 2018 on my property. Trying to finally get my own mini-orchard! I am more excited by the roulette of seedlings than by buying or grafting named varieties.
I had some issues with the potting mix drying out and have lost some seeds. I definitely would make some changes to my setup if I did this again.

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 16, 2017, 08:54:45 PM »
My favorite paw paw is Rebecca's Gold. It's a big yellow fruit and very yummy, maturing a few weeks before the native variety which is about half the size overall but almost just as good. I've planted seeds in 5 gallon pots that I leave outside under the shade of an old wisteria vine arbor, and pretty much leave them to nature except for watering with hose when watering other stuff. They come up in summer and stay there in light shade for s few years until ready to plant out in the sun when about two feet high or better. Maintenance free fruit trees. Fabulous.

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 17, 2017, 08:56:16 AM »
My favorite paw paw is Rebecca's Gold. It's a big yellow fruit and very yummy, maturing a few weeks before the native variety which is about half the size overall but almost just as good. I've planted seeds in 5 gallon pots that I leave outside under the shade of an old wisteria vine arbor, and pretty much leave them to nature except for watering with hose when watering other stuff. They come up in summer and stay there in light shade for s few years until ready to plant out in the sun when about two feet high or better. Maintenance free fruit trees. Fabulous.
I like that approach! I am definitely a tinkerer/worrier/obsessive. I get antsy if I'm not doing something to the plants. Admitting it is the first step to recovery, right? :)
I am getting better at it.
I have heard of Rebecca's Gold but never tasted. Do you ever share scions?

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 17, 2017, 10:32:36 AM »
That's interesting. I read somewere that variety was not so good. Of course i understand that the same variety can give great fruit on one variety and poor ones on other location. 

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 17, 2017, 10:34:03 AM »
By the way what varieties consistently are the best ones? Thank's!  :)

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 17, 2017, 01:58:05 PM »

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 17, 2017, 04:24:37 PM »

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 17, 2017, 07:43:58 PM »
Triloba tracker, I've never shared scions or tried propogation other than planting seeds. I'm hoping to try grafting some trifoliata hybrids onto some trifoliata seedlings in the future. Other than that, I figure my native paw paws and mountain ash and native crabapples will do just fine the natural way by seeds. Cheap and easy that way too.

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 17, 2017, 08:17:20 PM »

The patented varieties from Neal Peterson are generally/widely regarded as superior. Neal says his Susquehanna selection is his favorite. I have had some of these fruits and I have to say they are pretty amazing. Firm texture, low seed:flesh ratio, very smooth and intriguing flavor. A Susquehanna won Best Pawpaw at the 2016 International Pawpaw Conference. (you can also check the ohio pawpaw festival for their list of past winners.) www.petersonpawpaws.com

Overleese is an old classic that has also won contests. Sunflower is popular. I've heard bad things about Wilson. KSU Atwood was a favorite at the International Conference.

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 18, 2017, 07:06:43 AM »

The patented varieties from Neal Peterson are generally/widely regarded as superior. Neal says his Susquehanna selection is his favorite. I have had some of these fruits and I have to say they are pretty amazing. Firm texture, low seed:flesh ratio, very smooth and intriguing flavor. A Susquehanna won Best Pawpaw at the 2016 International Pawpaw Conference. (you can also check the ohio pawpaw festival for their list of past winners.) www.petersonpawpaws.com

Overleese is an old classic that has also won contests. Sunflower is popular. I've heard bad things about Wilson. KSU Atwood was a favorite at the International Conference.
Thank's a lot for your reply! And do you know anything about Prima, Mango and Georgia varieties? Thank's!

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: March 18, 2017, 09:11:53 AM »
Thank's a lot for your reply! And do you know anything about Prima, Mango and Georgia varieties? Thank's!
Don't know a lot, unfortunately.
Prima I believe was a variety selected/bred in Italy (?) Could be way off. I do think it's a European variety at least. Don't know anything about its quality.
Mango is one you see a fair amount of here in the US. That doesn't necessarily mean it's good though :) I think it's probably at least average or above average.
I have never heard of Georgia. There were several varieties on one of the websites you posted that I have never heard of  :o

I know there are many other folks hiding here on the forum who are more experienced with named cultivars than I am :)

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 18, 2017, 10:07:39 AM »
Thank's!  :)

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 19, 2017, 12:05:28 PM »
Sunflower Pawpaw trees starting to flower for first time

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 11, 2017, 09:09:19 PM »
I found my dwarf pawpaw. Anyone know what age growth flowers form on? Like new growth vs year old, etc?
Shane

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 11, 2017, 10:08:36 PM »
I found my dwarf pawpaw. Anyone know what age growth flowers form on? Like new growth vs year old, etc?

From my experience with wild trees, flowers form on old wood, not new growth.
Im sure someone more experienced with their own trees can confirm.

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 15, 2017, 11:39:02 AM »
My first paw flowers

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 24, 2017, 07:52:36 PM »
Just purchased a Asimina seedling from a local nursery. ;D It was a surprise that they had them since they mainly carry hybrid flowers. :o I'm unsure of the age. I guess around a year from seed?
Anisha

eyeckr

• Virginia Beach, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 26, 2017, 10:42:19 AM »
Yes that looks to be about a year old seedling. Here's a couple of seedlings that came up for me about a month ago:

I'm having a good year so far with my pawpaw trees.  I had tons of blooms that I hand pollinated and got a decent fruit set. My KSU Atwood seems to have the largest and most fruit.

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 27, 2017, 04:52:31 AM »
Congratulations! They are very good looking!  :P

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 28, 2017, 05:34:50 AM »
Yes that looks to be about a year old seedling. Here's a couple of seedlings that came up for me about a month ago:

I'm having a good year so far with my pawpaw trees.  I had tons of blooms that I hand pollinated and got a decent fruit set. My KSU Atwood seems to have the largest and most fruit.

Very nice! I may try to grow from seed as well. I can't believe I live in Ohio where they grow and I've never tried to grow them or eat them. Same goes for maypop. I've gotta go to the pawpaw festival up in Albany, Ohio sometime. ;D
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 05:36:30 AM by sildanani »
Anisha

eyeckr

• Virginia Beach, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 29, 2017, 09:21:20 AM »
Thanks! This is the first year for fruit set on my KSU Atwood so I'm pretty excited to finally be able to taste it later this year. I just have to make sure no critters get to the fruit before I do. Last year I built little cages around my Potomac fruit to protect them from squirrels which were very effective but cumbersome. This year I'm going to try heavy duty aluminum screening to wrap around the fruits. I do have a few traps around the yard also. I'll be sure to post updates.

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 09, 2017, 01:10:26 PM »
Hello everyone! I already have two sunflower, 1 prima, and two small wabash. I have 3 more spaces and i'm thinking on mango, overleese and NC1. I'm choosing on big fruit, few seeds and great flavour with no bad aftertaste. Any sugestions? Good choice? Thank's!  ;)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 01:14:04 PM by Luisport »

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 09, 2017, 05:35:23 PM »
Hello everyone! I already have two sunflower, 1 prima, and two small wabash. I have 3 more spaces and i'm thinking on mango, overleese and NC1. I'm choosing on big fruit, few seeds and great flavour with no bad aftertaste. Any sugestions? Good choice? Thank's!  ;)
And now i found belle, lady d, convis and sibley varieties...  Totally confused!  ???

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 10, 2017, 12:39:55 PM »
And now i found belle, lady d, convis and sibley varieties...  Totally confused!  ???

Hmm i've never heard of Belle, Lady D, or Sibley. Where are you seeing those? Do they offer any information about them?

Of the first 3 you mentioned, if it were me, I would choose Overleese. I believe it is in the lineage of many of Neal Peterson's patented varieties, which are considered the best. I believe Overleese has won best pawpaw at Ohio Pawpaw Festival at least once.
That being said, I believe NC-1 and Mango are respectable varieties too.

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 10, 2017, 12:41:39 PM »
Thanks! This is the first year for fruit set on my KSU Atwood so I'm pretty excited to finally be able to taste it later this year. I just have to make sure no critters get to the fruit before I do. Last year I built little cages around my Potomac fruit to protect them from squirrels which were very effective but cumbersome. This year I'm going to try heavy duty aluminum screening to wrap around the fruits. I do have a few traps around the yard also. I'll be sure to post updates.
Do you have pictures or can you describe the cages you built in the past? And/or if you have updates on your attempts with aluminum screening.
Thanks!