Temperate Fruit & Orchards > Temperate Fruit Discussion

Mulberry Thread.

<< < (2/33) > >>

Viking Guy:
I have Pakistan, Himalayan and Australian.

Australian green has been my favorite, and finally started growing my own this year.

ClayMango:
Has anyone tried some of the Nigras? Black Beauty, Noir de Spain, Persian, Shrangla? I hear they have the best sweet/tart flavor .

I've tried Pakistan and Weeping Mulberry... Pakistan is just incredible...great size and and Sweet Flavor.....Weeping Mulberry taste like a Tommy Atkins of the Mulberries.

stuartdaly88:

--- Quote from: TriangleJohn on April 13, 2015, 09:35:11 PM ---In my yard I grow wild ones which I assume are M. rubra but I guess they could be hybrids, and I have a 'Wellington' which has very good flavor and large berries, an 'Illinois Everbearing' which has slightly smaller berries but with excellent flavor and a long fruiting season (though not ever bearing). My trees are small and I only get a half gallon of berries off of all of them combined. I have some trees that I grew from seeds that someone gave me saying that the trees were small bush form with purple, sweet berries. Last year one of them fruited and the berries were large and white without any berry flavor, just sweet as sugar. Most of the collection is starting to flower now and one more of the seedlings is flowering so I will wait to see if it has white fruit, hopefully they will have berry flavor instead of just being sweet. So far this collection of mulberries has been a highlight of my garden, I would plant more of them if I had more room.

--- End quote ---
That sounds like Morus alba
It's very good addition dried and added to a trail mix/ nuts/muesli.
I only have seedlings of I think alba and nigra.The alba are massive trees trees for me. interesting fact is they have the fastest motion observed in biology.
The nigras are also pretty big but aren't as upright and can droop abit(if mine are nigras)
There was a weird one on my property and it looked grafted.  They grafted it strangely it was 2m straight bole and then the grafted part was weirdly upside down and it looked awesome like a weeping willow mulberry long branches all the way to the ground.

bsbullie:

--- Quote from: FlyingFoxFruits on April 14, 2015, 01:22:25 AM ---
--- Quote from: bsbullie on April 14, 2015, 01:10:42 AM ---I dont think they are underrated.   I sell a ton of them year round, all types.

--- End quote ---

Rob,

what's the name of the dwarf variety excalibur sells?

I just got one covered with fruits.

also got the green mulberry (if that's what it's called...I believe it's the same one that PIN sells labeled as Australian)..that is an excellent fruit btw.

also got the Himalayan mulberry from Treesnmore (which is like pakistan, but reddish, not purple) .... this is one of the best ones I've tasted so far.

so now I've got 8 varieties....(Himalayan, Australian/Green, Peruvian, Giant , white [alba], red [rubra], everbearing, and the dwarf from Excal.)

still need more... :D 

(Pakistan, and other long types....and some other everbearing trees are next on my list..like Illinois, or any others)

--- End quote ---

The Dwarf you just got is the one they call Thai Dwarf.  They used to have a second dwarf I believe but not psoitive if and what the difference is and if they are still propagating it.

The Green is the Australian type although I believe Richard may have brought it back from Thailand years ago so unsure if it is the exact same as PINs.

If you dont have it, you need to get a Tice.  Its the best of the purple/blacks they have and a heavy producer.  They also have East Coast which is not as good as Tice in mine and most customer's opinions.

FlyingFoxFruits:
lol thanks for the info..

i just remembered I have a Tice tree planted out!

that makes 9 varieties.

(i've compared fruits and foliage from both trees, and looks like PIN has exact same one as the Green, labeled as Australian)

--- Quote from: bsbullie on April 14, 2015, 12:00:17 PM ---
--- Quote from: FlyingFoxFruits on April 14, 2015, 01:22:25 AM ---
--- Quote from: bsbullie on April 14, 2015, 01:10:42 AM ---I dont think they are underrated.   I sell a ton of them year round, all types.

--- End quote ---

Rob,

what's the name of the dwarf variety excalibur sells?

I just got one covered with fruits.

also got the green mulberry (if that's what it's called...I believe it's the same one that PIN sells labeled as Australian)..that is an excellent fruit btw.

also got the Himalayan mulberry from Treesnmore (which is like pakistan, but reddish, not purple) .... this is one of the best ones I've tasted so far.

so now I've got 8 varieties....(Himalayan, Australian/Green, Peruvian, Giant , white [alba], red [rubra], everbearing, and the dwarf from Excal.)

still need more... :D 

(Pakistan, and other long types....and some other everbearing trees are next on my list..like Illinois, or any others)

--- End quote ---

The Dwarf you just got is the one they call Thai Dwarf.  They used to have a second dwarf I believe but not psoitive if and what the difference is and if they are still propagating it.

The Green is the Australian type although I believe Richard may have brought it back from Thailand years ago so unsure if it is the exact same as PINs.

If you dont have it, you need to get a Tice.  Its the best of the purple/blacks they have and a heavy producer.  They also have East Coast which is not as good as Tice in mine and most customer's opinions.

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version