Citrus > Citrus General Discussion

Grafting onto fast flowering Poncirus

(1/2) > >>

Vlad:
Would a seedling grafted to a fast flowering Poncirus seedling produce fruit sooner than on its own roots?

citrange:
No.

pagnr:
In my experience, I budded a seedling scion wood to 5 year old Flying Dragon. These FD stocks had nearly all flowered fruited at this age.
The FD trees budded with the seedling grew well and promptly flowered and fruited.
The original seedling has not yet flowered.
The FD trees were in 5 litre pots, so bigger than the usual FD seedlings, but not overly large trees,
i.e. it was not like top working a big rootstock.
Mostly Citrus are grafted to young immature stocks, so this wouldn't show up.

I think it is worth investigating grafting onto early flowering rootstocks.
Since the fast flowering trifoliata is a small plant, you may lose some vigour ??
There may be a chemical/hormone flowering factor transmitted to the scion from the flowering aged stock.
Most Citrus are complex hybrids of several "species", there may be competing genes for flowering time.
This may be why there is no clear answer to advancing flowering time, but many anecdotes.
Also it may not work equally for all Citrus types, depending on the ancestry.

tedburn:
thank you, thats a very interessting information, cause I also thought if it would be worth to graft on fast flowering poncirus to get immature seedlings earlier to flower and fruit.

EricSC:
I budded Loquot from two trees (one matrue and one young)  to a mature tree.  The results are:

1, The bud from a mature tree grafted to a mature tree grown well and produced flowers in the first year.
2, The bud from a 2 years old tree grafted to a mature tree grown well but did not produce flowers in the first year.   Not sure what will happen for the second year.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version