Author Topic: JF’ Saramoyo seedlings  (Read 2021 times)

Frog Valley Farm

• Messages have been disabled here
    • View Profile
JF’ Saramoyo seedlings
« on: October 09, 2020, 11:50:52 AM »
So this is not a Sugar Apple (SA), thank god.  The fruit is big 2-4 kg.  Suppose to be good, pink flesh I believe. I have been a fan of JF’ Anona collection for some time so I jumped at the chance for some of his seeds.  Fresh seed that I dried for a couple mos..  We have 1 Sarramoyo seedling and one A. purpurea from his seeds.  Annonas will grow faster when young with extra inputs like compost, manure, etc. but not required here where we focus on soil health.

JF’,  Saramoyo seedling.

JF’ , A. purpurea seedling.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 03:42:36 PM by Frog Valley Farm »

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: JF’ Saramoyo seedlings
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2020, 02:24:58 AM »
So are you saying soncoya x sugar apple? That doesn't sound possible. Soncoyas have orange/yellow flesh never shades of red or pink. Cherimoya, sugar apple, atemoya and custard apple all cross freely and you may have seen reports I have posted about the Maroochy experimental station crosses. They have been searching for the holy grail of commercial annonas. The red skin of some custard apples and sugar apples can bred in but at the expense of the top ranked for flavour and productivity that needs to be retained, the mammoth lines of atemoya. Fino de jete cherimoya is used in some of the crosses as it is considered one of the better cherimoyas.

Frog Valley Farm

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2020, 06:32:25 AM »
Where did I say it was a SA cross?  Not sure what in the #$#K your talking about.

It is a Saramoyo, whatever that may be.  I could not decipher JF’ code talk on parentage/description. We do not need anymore SA, no matter how fancy it’s description or color or fancy name. I was concerned it was a lowly, seedy, SA, which it is not.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 06:52:50 AM by Frog Valley Farm »

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2020, 06:51:31 AM »
My mistake I saw the reference to sugar apple (SA) then the reference to, Sarramoya for one and soncoya, pink flesh 2-4kg and assumed you were talking about a cross between sugar apple and soncoya.

Frog Valley Farm

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2020, 06:56:58 AM »
My mistake I saw the reference to sugar apple (SA) then the reference to, Sarramoya for one and soncoya, pink flesh 2-4kg and assumed you were talking about a cross between sugar apple and soncoya.

No problem, with all the hyperbole over the Sugarlata and descriptions from individuals on their superior seedling SA.  This branding is obviously done for marketing on eBay and Facebook plant sellers.  We don’t sell plants so I base my rating on the fruit quality and for future resale. I was concerned it was SA.  I had planted this Saramoyo in prime real estate here, something SA never gets.  No offense to anyone who think SA are their favorite fruit, just my preference.  The fruit doesn’t lie.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 08:22:23 AM by Frog Valley Farm »

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2020, 08:23:54 AM »
Saramoyo is suppose to be a natural occurring cross between sugar apple and custard apple found in the Yucatan
The fruit has not been proven to be big yet grown in Florida. 4kg I have never heard of grown anywhere? Maybe
pounds accidently got switched to kg?
I have a tree grown from a seed that may fruit next year.
It was from a Giant Pink.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 08:28:38 AM by achetadomestica »

Frog Valley Farm

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2020, 10:22:12 AM »
Saramoyo is suppose to be a natural occurring cross between sugar apple and custard apple found in the Yucatan
The fruit has not been proven to be big yet grown in Florida. 4kg I have never heard of grown anywhere? Maybe
pounds accidently got switched to kg?
I have a tree grown from a seed that may fruit next year.
It was from a Giant Pink.
Yes it’s 4-5lb. Not 2-4kg, thanks.

I planted my JF seeds late Feb. 2020 so we have to wait for fruit.   Your seedling from JF’ seeds also?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 10:24:52 AM by Frog Valley Farm »

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2020, 10:57:34 AM »
It is great that you can plant directly in the field, how do you protect the seedlings so that they are not eaten by rabbits? 
I have lots of seeds from atemoya this year and I planted several in the hope that a couple survive the rabbits.
I will take any suggestions.

PS. most of the seeds I really care about go in pots and are protected and only planted out when they have attained some size.  Even then some still get munched on.

Frog Valley Farm

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2020, 11:07:55 AM »
It is great that you can plant directly in the field, how do you protect the seedlings so that they are not eaten by rabbits? 
I have lots of seeds from atemoya this year and I planted several in the hope that a couple survive the rabbits.
I will take any suggestions.

PS. most of the seeds I really care about go in pots and are protected and only planted out when they have attained some size.  Even then some still get munched on.
I do not focus on what might happen and there is plenty of other stuff growing adjacent for critters to feast on.  I obviously do not believe that plants compete with each other for nutrients or water, the more the merrier.   Usually they grow back but with 2 trunks.   That, luck and seed planting persistence.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 11:26:46 AM by Frog Valley Farm »

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2020, 03:08:25 PM »

Giant Pink Yucatan seedling

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2020, 11:15:28 PM »
I have two in the ground from JF:

Piste Red

Dorado Yellow

-joe

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2020, 05:14:58 AM »
MM not all fruit trees happily share water light nutrients and space. Even humble rice and peas can be aggressively allelopathic.Sometimes when soil is just no good despite nutrient status and trees just die there is a sinister nearby plant behind the the treachery. Thankfully Annonas get along well and can be planted together.

Frog Valley Farm

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2020, 06:17:44 AM »
No news here.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 05:53:42 AM by Frog Valley Farm »

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2023, 02:00:34 PM »
Any update on peoples Saramoyo seedlings?  I think there is a lot of potential for these.  Has anyone have a fruiting tree yet?

Thanks,
Bill

hammer524

• USA, Arizona, Phoenix, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2023, 02:13:52 PM »
I have two but they are both small. Pink Yucatán and red Tycal

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2023, 01:05:41 PM »
I have two in the ground from JF:

Piste Red

Dorado Yellow

-joe

Both mine are still progressing, I have stripped them and tip pruned so hoping to see some flower action this year as new leaves start to push this spring (fingers crossed).

-Joe