Author Topic: Blooming Annonas in pots . . .  (Read 826 times)

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Blooming Annonas in pots . . .
« on: January 28, 2021, 07:44:08 PM »
Apart from Sugar Apples, which Annonas would be better for in-pot culture and fruiting?

What I have are:

Annona diversifolia (Ilama)
  A. deliciosa (Biribá)
  A. montana
  A. salzmannii
  A. (poss.) glabra (that 'golden'(?) sugar apple thing from CR)
  Atemoya 'Gefner'
  Atemoya 'Pierce'

Any comments from our forum members' on any such experiences growing Annonas in pots in  9b would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Paul M.
==

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Blooming Annonas in pots . . .
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2021, 09:25:55 PM »
Can I ask why you don't put the atemoya in the ground?
Also the sugar apples? I have 2 older NA Dai sugar apples and they produced 150+ fruit last year.
The most I have seen on a potted tree is 8
I put them on the South side of my house in the most protected area but since then, I have planted
allot of various annonas throughout the yard.

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2021, 11:20:49 PM »
Also the sugar apples? I have 2 older NA Dai sugar apples and they produced 150+ fruit last year.
I put them on the South side of my house in the most protected area but since then, I have planted

I haven't put those things into the ground yet, A.D., because they are still way too small to survive near freezing temps.  And we do get a hard freeze here where I am every three to five years.  Plus the south side of my house is shaded by a large elm tree.

In pots up to 7- to 10-gallons they can be moved into my greenhouse, if necessary. In the ground they cannot.

Cheers!

Paul M.
==

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2021, 12:02:04 AM »

I haven't put those things into the ground yet, A.D., because they are still way too small to survive near freezing temps.  And we do get a hard freeze here where I am every three to five years.  Plus the south side of my house is shaded by a large elm tree.

In pots up to 7- to 10-gallons they can be moved into my greenhouse, if necessary. In the ground they cannot.

Cheers!

Paul M.
==
Elms go deciduous. not the best frost protection..

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2021, 04:07:08 PM »

Cheers!

Paul M.
==

I'm on board with that way of thinking. I'm going to wait till the second week of February.  Then check the 10-day forecast and maybe take a chance if current Trend continues. :)

« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 04:10:31 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2021, 06:06:11 PM »
Another than sugar apple id say the atemoyas would be decent.
Adam of flying fox fruits had rollins fruiting in a pot so that might with for you too.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk