Author Topic: Look at my mango tree(s)!  (Read 39010 times)

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
Re: Mango trees from Top Tropical.
« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2014, 09:20:28 AM »
.....One thing to keep in mind....there are multiple experts and videos in florida telling you when you plant mango to only water until established, and then leave it alone and do not ever water unless severe drought. There is an expert horticulturist here in phoenix that has been growing mango for over 20 years, and he writes in his blog that he waters the established ones twice a year. In Phoenix!
Water is the cause of most mango deaths, not temperature.

Aint buying it, don't care what these "experts" say.  This isn't cactus, it's a tropical plant and those in Phoenix need to stick to cactus.  Contrary to them not needing much water, apparently mangos can stand wet feet in clay quite a long time, which is probably what happens during the monsoon season in the tropics.  Bangkok who lives in Thailand stated such, said he's seen mangos thrive in soaked ground very well with no root rot.

I've seen many huge mango trees in Hawaii growing wild and they're in areas that receive a lot of rain doing best on the rainy side of the islands N  to S on the east sides.

Mark

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2014, 10:00:28 AM »
.....One thing to keep in mind....there are multiple experts and videos in florida telling you when you plant mango to only water until established, and then leave it alone and do not ever water unless severe drought. There is an expert horticulturist here in phoenix that has been growing mango for over 20 years, and he writes in his blog that he waters the established ones twice a year. In Phoenix!

Aint buying it, don't care what these "experts" say.  This isn't cactus, it's a tropical plant and those in Phoenix need to stick to cactus.  Contrary to them not needing much water, apparently mangos can stand wet feet in clay quite a long time, which is probably what happens during the monsoon season in the tropics.  Bangkok who lives in Thailand stated such, said he's seen mangos thrive in soaked ground very well with no root rot.

I've seen many huge mango trees in Hawaii growing wild and they're in areas that receive a lot of rain doing best on the rainy side of the islands N  to S on the east sides.

Mark

Mark
For the classic Indian-Pakistani mangoes which Florida varieties are mostly derived from.  The climate in Indian-Pakistani is a dry winter that helps dormancy, South Florida weather is also a dry winter so this helps out!

For the SE Asian type mangoes (like Nam Doc Mai and the Philippines mango)...they are in more of the tropical climate you are thinking of. But they might have a dry winter too. Also a post monsoon dry period that helps dormancy. There are wild mangoes in Borneo which surely must be a wet tropical place.

http://www.fairchildgarden.org/LivingCollections/TropicalFruitProgram/Blog/id/571  ---wild mangoes of Borneo

Like I have said...I am in favor of watering young mango trees. Water can be like a fertilizer. Harry here said he notices trees grow quicker if they get watered.
BTW the Israelis have mango plantations on drip irrigation

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2014, 10:23:05 AM »

Mark

I believe many of Zills High performance plants down in Florida such as his Patented Mangos  like the LZ, CC, Pickering  our  developed  in areas Prone to flooding....I thing many of his trees that we have growing now in our Backyards have survived some pretty harsh conditions with some serious WET FEET....The parent tree at least.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 12:14:23 PM by ClayMango »
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2014, 10:45:12 AM »
The climate in Indian-Pakistani is a dry winter that helps dormancy, South Florida weather is also a dry winter so this helps out!

I wonder what "dry" winter means?  My relatives living in Louisiana consider less than 2" of a rain a month as a serious drought LOL !   :D With the exception of the very isolated hailstorm that just beat the crap out of my farm a couple of nights ago (and only .81" or rain), we haven't seen a good rain in 4 months.   

mangomaniac2

• Phoenix, Arizona
    • View Profile
Re: Look at my mango tree(s)!
« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2014, 11:39:30 AM »
Mango can definitely handle wet feet for a while when the night time temps are warm enough, like above 68 degrees.

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2014, 12:05:44 PM »
Thanks Gary!
I do have partial shade areas in my yard where I can place the pots. I intend to keep them in containers for a few months, maybe up to a year, just to see how they do in their new environment. I do have an unknown mango in the ground for about 4 years now, survived all the cold winter months here, no protection  at all. But no fruits either.  :) It dropped all the fruits, the largest one was almost 5" when it dropped.  >:( I do bury a few other plants, just out of laziness as I didn't want to dig an adequate hole, so I just cut off the bottom of the pot and submerged the containers (guava, figs, surinam cherry,..) Those seem to be doing fine.

Congrats, newgen.  I've got 3 of your 6 varieties planted out.  CC, Bombay and NamDocMai.  Funny, you're the only other Bombay owner I know of in California....anyway....so much to talk about on the subject of hot and cold for growing mangoes in our extreme climate.

Not sure where to begin.  As Clay mentioned my summers are more extreme than yours, and very similar to mangomaniacs'.  In the desert here in Palm Springs I do have problems with a couple trees I've planted too close to walls that radiate the sun's heat.  I've had to shade them just now to protect from mango fruit "burn" (believe it or not!) as I lost a bunch of smaller fruit a little while ago that I contribute to excess heat....but I digress from your original plea for help....

I've planted all my trees in native sandy soil, and mulch them on top, so it's fast draining, and yet does retain some moisture from evaporation.  This time of year, when the temps are consistently near 90 I water every other day.  Do NOT plant any mango trees in from of sunny Western facing walls.....they may survive but won't do much else.  As someone else stated, you could water every day at this temperature or above, but the challenge is to find the right balance so your not wasting water, also.  That tree that Mangomaniac posted which I guess is in Phoenix - if that truly gets watered only twice a year in addition to the scant rainfall of that region, I am thoroughly impressed and will have to rethink the amount of water I give to my largest 10 year old Manila tree..... ::)

Now heading into winter, I know my yard's temperature variance by now, and the little mango orchard area I have in the front/side of the house is the most cold susceptible of all.  There i have 5 trees that are mulched with wood chips - 4 inches thick or so - in an area about 8' x 15'  that on predicted cold nights (38 or below), I water/spray the mulch the morning before so during the day, it can gain heat and release it at night.  That plus being super cautious, I cover the whole area with a pvc scaffold and frost cloth.  Sometimes I even leave a small heater on inside this array just to be extra safe.  This last winter I was away for almost 3 weeks and left the frost cloth on the entire time and they came out unscathed.  I am a real scared chicken when it comes to the cold and take extra precautions, having lost a number of trees in the early years.  PVC is very cool stuff as you can assemble and un-assemble very easily and just pack it away in the springtime.  As far as watering. I'm still at every other day but lower the minutes, cuz these are still 2 year old trees...

I've never really kept things in pots, so can't offer any advice there,newgen....I do know that those black pots can get real hot at 100 degrees, and the roots really wouldn't like that at all....maybe you could bury them, or at least make sure they are free of that blazing afternoon sun - but you probably know all that.....

Good luck...........Gary

NewGen

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2014, 12:31:05 PM »
Thought I'd give an update on where things are. Top Tropicals shipped the 6 mango trees on Monday, I received them via FedEx on Thursday afternoon. Packing was very good. Originally I was gonna put them in air-pruning pots, but due to them being back ordered, I decided to stick with 7-gallon black nursery pots. I did drilled a bunch more holes at the bottom for improved drainage. The soil mix I used was recommended by nullzero, pine bark + large perlite + coconut coir. This was my first time trying this mix, and the first batch was maybe too airy by my estimation. So the next batch had more coir mixed in. I untangled and cut up the root balls before planting, the roots were tightly wrapped up by the plastic during shipping. There was minimal root circling from their original containers at Top Tropicals. Here are some pix.

From left to right: Cac, Bombay, Coconut Cream, Irwin, Nam Doc Mai, Carrie.

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2014, 12:41:47 PM »
They look good ! Enjoy..
Ed.
Zone 10

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 25, 2014, 12:50:54 PM »
Thought I'd give an update on where things are. Top Tropicals shipped the 6 mango trees on Monday, I received them via FedEx on Thursday afternoon. Packing was very good. Originally I was gonna put them in air-pruning pots, but due to them being back ordered, I decided to stick with 7-gallon black nursery pots. I did drilled a bunch more holes at the bottom for improved drainage. The soil mix I used was recommended by nullzero, pine bark + large perlite + coconut coir. This was my first time trying this mix, and the first batch was maybe too airy by my estimation. So the next batch had more coir mixed in. I untangled and cut up the root balls before planting, the roots were tightly wrapped up by the plastic during shipping. There was minimal root circling from their original containers at Top Tropicals. Here are some pix.

From left to right: Cac, Bombay, Coconut Cream, Irwin, Nam Doc Mai, Carrie.

Wow that CC looks good!!! that's alot better than the one I got...However my CC is doing a Hulk like Mutation with an insane Flush...I'll post pics this weekend maybe.
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 25, 2014, 12:54:55 PM »

Mark

I believe many of Zills High performance plants down in Florida such as his Patented Mangos  like the LZ, CC, Pickering  our  developed  in areas Prone to flooding....I thing many of his trees that we have growing now in our Backyards have survived some pretty harsh conditions with some serious WET FEET....The parent tree at least.

Can we please post facts, not made up hypothesis.

Out of the above "Zill" mangoes you named, only Coconut Cream is patented.  The Pickering is not a Zill HPP developed mango.  It has nothing to do with the Zill HPP breeding program.  The original tree grew from a random seedling, and grew and is located in a totally different location than where the breeding program is done.

Without getting into specifics, and I am not sure exactly what you mean by "prone to flooding" however the location of the breeding program is not in a flood plane.  Yes, I am being a little of a smart ass however the definition of "prone to flooding" is ambiguous.  Much or most of South Florida is "prone" to flooding if it rains enough however where the Zill breeding is done is not in an area that has any type of normal continual flooding as your statement makes it seem.  Again, I am not going to get into details nor am I at liberty to do so but the Zill HPP program is not as basic and simplistic as some make it seem.
- Rob

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 25, 2014, 01:01:33 PM »

Mark

Can we please post facts, not made up hypothesis.

Out of the above "Zill" mangoes you named, only Coconut Cream is patented.  The Pickering is not a Zill HPP developed mango.  It has nothing to do with the Zill HPP breeding program.  The original tree grew from a random seedling, and grew and is located in a totally different location than where the breeding program is done.

Without getting into specifics, and I am not sure exactly what you mean by "prone to flooding" however the location of the breeding program is not in a flood plane.  Yes, I am being a little of a smart ass however the definition of "prone to flooding" is ambiguous.  Much or most of South Florida is "prone" to flooding if it rains enough however where the Zill breeding is done is not in an area that has any type of normal continual flooding as your statement makes it seem.  Again, I am not going to get into details nor am I at liberty to do so but the Zill HPP program is not as basic and simplistic as some make it seem.

***So I definately got that wrong.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 25, 2014, 01:29:46 PM »
Newgen,

The mix looks really nice, be sure to add some myco to the watering schedule. Also you want to add diluted fertilizer with the watering schedule.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

NewGen

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 25, 2014, 01:34:18 PM »
Definitely will add the myco, azomite, and diluted fertilizer. Do you recommend adding all 3 ingredients at every watering?

Newgen,

The mix looks really nice, be sure to add some myco to the watering schedule. Also you want to add diluted fertilizer with the watering schedule.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 25, 2014, 01:48:46 PM »
Definitely will add the myco, azomite, and diluted fertilizer. Do you recommend adding all 3 ingredients at every watering?

Newgen,

Did you get the powdered azomite? If its granular azomite, just mix in the top layer of soil or sprinkle around trunk. If its powdered mix into the water with the diluted fertilizer and myco.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 25, 2014, 01:56:06 PM »
Just going by the photos that looks like some very scientific packing for shipping 3000 miles. Very good by Top Tropical!  Your new trees look  v good!

Really you need a separate thread due to having photo-documented the excellent way they were shipped and how it looks when you potted them
Any circling roots were cut away. Keep in the shade (as you have done!) for recovery from them (TT) trimming your roots

NewGen

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 25, 2014, 02:09:11 PM »
I got the granular.

Newgen,

Did you get the powdered azomite? If its granular azomite, just mix in the top layer of soil or sprinkle around trunk. If its powdered mix into the water with the diluted fertilizer and myco.

NewGen

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 25, 2014, 02:10:25 PM »
It was its own thread, but mods combined it into this long one.
Thanks,

Just going by the photos that looks like some very scientific packing for shipping 3000 miles. Very good by Top Tropical!  Your new trees look  v good!

Really you need a separate thread due to having photo-documented the excellent way they were shipped and how it looks when you potted them
Any circling roots were cut away. Keep in the shade (as you have done!) for recovery from them (TT) trimming your roots

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 27, 2014, 10:30:25 PM »
Update on a few of my mango trees from Top Tropicals which seem to have fully recovered after any signs of shock,,,if any from their week long travel to CA...

Coconut cream busting loose

The little Pickering that could

Carrie also showing a full flush on every branch...

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 28, 2014, 12:39:44 AM »
Its tough to tell from those pictures but it looks like they are bloom pannicles with leaves and not full vegetative flushes.
- Rob

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 28, 2014, 12:42:11 AM »
Its tough to tell from those pictures but it looks like they are bloom pannicles with leaves and not full vegetative flushes.

Bullie

I wasn't sure...Because I don't know what to look for yet...but there are these weird deals popping out  along with the leaves ....guessing this would be the panicles?

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 28, 2014, 12:42:18 AM »

I agree. As a matter of fact, my Carrie is currently blooming again.

Nice mango trees!
Alexi

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 28, 2014, 12:49:54 AM »

Nice mango trees!

From start of Panicles to fruit ripening...how long does that generally take? a month,2,3?

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 28, 2014, 12:52:09 AM »
Like 5 to 6 months I think.
Alexi

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 28, 2014, 02:54:03 AM »

Nice mango trees!

From start of Panicles to fruit ripening...how long does that generally take? a month,2,3?

Clay,

More like 7-8 months for us here in SoCal zone 10b.  However, with you being in zone 9b...if your climate is like MangoFang's, perhaps its a slightly less overall duration like Alexi said.... due to your overall warmer spring and summer weather.
Warren

mangomaniac2

• Phoenix, Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 28, 2014, 07:01:15 PM »
Seems like the dry air makes mango flower and continue to flower. Out of 40 mango trees I have not one is trying to produce leaves and branches. Every time one looks like it's going to add growth I get another flower spike. Even my 25 gal Edward is going to be falling down it's holding so much fruit on the branches. Oh and it decided to then send out more flowers. Same with the Cushman. Both suppose to be light bearers, but from what I can tell that's a Florida problem. Same with Alphonso. Loaded with fruit.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk