Author Topic: FINALS!!! TROPICAL FRUIT FORUM OLYMPICS! - 2023  (Read 5020 times)

tru

• Texas
    • View Profile
Re: TROPICAL FRUIT FORUM OLYMPICS! - 2023
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2023, 09:39:31 PM »
I've never had durian but to be honest I'm scared given the all the smell reports;

I taste with my nose quite a bit, how 'powerful' is it? What would yall describe the taste as, obviously it must be worth the smell lmao
instagram @trumansacco

Gone tropo

• Durian obsessed
    • Nth Qld Australia, zone 13a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2023, 10:30:04 PM »
I've never had durian but to be honest I'm scared given the all the smell reports;

I taste with my nose quite a bit, how 'powerful' is it? What would yall describe the taste as, obviously it must be worth the smell lmao

The smell is completely exaggerated in my opinion maybe if you walked into a small room full of durian with no airflow it would be overpowering, a single fruit eaten by itself in the open not a problem.  I always tell people Durian tastes like nothing else on this planet and in my opinion cannot be accurately described.  Durian Lindsay has in depth descriptions on different varieties i cant say I can detect things i see others describe other than it has "durian taste" which is completely unique to any other food I have ever tasted.

Timbogrow

• Naples, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2023, 06:12:58 AM »
Fun, I just hurdled my through the questions. I only voted for fruits i have eatten. Mango wins for me since mangosteen has almost no range to grow and I'll never get to try one here for that reason. Not sure but ive never read about mangosteen having different cultivars with differentflavor profiles like a mango. Pineapple over jackfruit cause I eat more pineapple and I'm the only 1/4 in my family that will eat jackfruit. Plus I could only eat a couple bites of jackfruit and I could use a pineapple on pizza, pina colada, on yogurt etc. Etc.......I just can't get the jackfruit taste to go good in a pina colada lol. I voted for the tomato over durian. I can eat a good tomatoes anywhere without buying my own jet to hunt a durian. Plus way more ways to enjoy tomato........hope to try a durian one day so I could really chose which I like more. Toughest one for me was the sapodilla or dragonfruit.....I have lots of both growing here. Sapodilla is easier to grow though. Thanks for the fun morning coffee read! Have a good day fellow fruit fanatics!

fruit nerd

• Australia, FNQ, 13a
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2023, 06:33:34 AM »
I like the smell of durian, it does have a strong smell....but so does marang, chempedek, cupuassu and noni fruit (I'm sure there are many more). I've tasted sweet durians, durians with garlic flavour and others with alcohol flavour, dry durian, creamy durians, white fleshed durian, yellow fleshed durian.....so much variety.

Muni

• All there is.
    • Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2023, 07:41:41 AM »
This was fun. Thank you.
Allow yourself to know, if you wish, that this is a multi dimensional communication.
See what happens.

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2023, 08:43:01 AM »
Nice idea ! I havent tried alot of those fruits, i also voted for the pairs that i have tried. Waiting for round 2 😃

tru

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2023, 12:50:00 PM »

The smell is completely exaggerated in my opinion maybe if you walked into a small room full of durian with no airflow it would be overpowering, a single fruit eaten by itself in the open not a problem.  I always tell people Durian tastes like nothing else on this planet and in my opinion cannot be accurately described.  Durian Lindsay has in depth descriptions on different varieties i cant say I can detect things i see others describe other than it has "durian taste" which is completely unique to any other food I have ever tasted.

Very interesting, it kind of sounds like me trying to describe lychee, there's something that is unmistakable about how they taste
I'm sure the frozen ones at the market here aren't a good representation but perhaps I'll get to try it one day fingers crossed,

if it weren't for the smell propaganda, the cut open picture does make it look enticing...

I like the smell of durian, it does have a strong smell....but so does marang, chempedek, cupuassu and noni fruit (I'm sure there are many more). I've tasted sweet durians, durians with garlic flavour and others with alcohol flavour, dry durian, creamy durians, white fleshed durian, yellow fleshed durian.....so much variety.

You describe it like the bubblegum from willy wonka ;D How do you judge whether it's a good one or not?

Thanks to everyone for enjoying, much love!!
I myself haven't tried about 1/2 the things on the list but taste, versatility, how the tree looks, the story behind them, .. there's so much more to judge! As satisfying as eating the 'reward' for your work is, I don't think it's wrong to be partial to one or another even if you've never tasted them : )

and I agree lmao pina colada all the way, but where are you seeing tomatoes 🤣
instagram @trumansacco

Timbogrow

• Naples, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2023, 09:10:54 PM »
I made the tomatoes up..🤪

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2023, 10:31:13 PM »
That's hard!!! I didn't vote for the couple that I have never tasted...

Carolyn

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2023, 12:21:06 PM »
fun little poll thanks for posting 8)

cassowary

• Australia FNQ 13a Tropical Monsoon
    • View Profile
    • cassowaryseeds
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2023, 01:10:03 AM »
Fun, I just hurdled my through the questions. I only voted for fruits i have eatten. Mango wins for me since mangosteen has almost no range to grow and I'll never get to try one here for that reason. Not sure but ive never read about mangosteen having different cultivars with differentflavor profiles like a mango. Pineapple over jackfruit cause I eat more pineapple and I'm the only 1/4 in my family that will eat jackfruit. Plus I could only eat a couple bites of jackfruit and I could use a pineapple on pizza, pina colada, on yogurt etc. Etc.......I just can't get the jackfruit taste to go good in a pina colada lol. I voted for the tomato over durian. I can eat a good tomatoes anywhere without buying my own jet to hunt a durian. Plus way more ways to enjoy tomato........hope to try a durian one day so I could really chose which I like more. Toughest one for me was the sapodilla or dragonfruit.....I have lots of both growing here. Sapodilla is easier to grow though. Thanks for the fun morning coffee read! Have a good day fellow fruit fanatics!

Dehydrate the jackfruit and add it to your yoghurt etc. amazing!
Or freeze it an make icicles out of it :D

When you get to taste durian you will get why Gone tropo have gone tropo! And why cassowaries are they way they are... :D
CASSOWARYSEEDS.COM
Seed shop and Seed exchange

tru

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2023, 08:24:27 PM »
1st round of polling ends in 5 hours! Get in your vote for the first round while you can!
instagram @trumansacco

cassowary

• View Profile
    • cassowaryseeds
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2023, 01:11:54 AM »
Pineapple over Durian...
I am out.
CASSOWARYSEEDS.COM

tru

• Texas
    • View Profile
Re: ROUND 2 LIVE!!! TROPICAL FRUIT FORUM OLYMPICS! - 2023
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2023, 01:30:30 AM »
I feel your pain 😭 RIP Coconut

I'm sure there are quite a few disappointed at the avocado vs. lychee match too

man... if yall thought we had some tough matchups before...
« Last Edit: January 16, 2023, 01:39:52 AM by tru »
instagram @trumansacco

fruit nerd

• Australia, FNQ, 13a
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2023, 01:47:00 AM »
Totally surprised at the pineapple vs durian match up, though I guess the majority of members are in more subtropical locations. Must tropical fruit growers I know love durian. PS. Voted white sapote for payback.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2023, 02:22:31 PM »
Go to original link to vote in second round.
John

SHV

• Escondido, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2023, 03:16:46 PM »
Only real surprise from Round 1 is Pineapple over Durian.  Not only is it a surprise, it’s crying shame.  Pineapple isn’t even a top 10 fruit regardless where it’s grown. I’ve had a few Musang Kings in my travels to Singapore and Thailand.  It is one of the most delectable fruits I’ve ever tasted.  If only 30% of us think Durian is favorable to Pineapple, more of us need to travel to tropical climates during our winter season.  Pineapple?  With all its fiber and mouth dissolving bromelain? No thanks  ;)
I thought maybe Loquat might pull an upset with all the love it gets on this forum, but glad to see it put in its rightful place by the mighty Jackfruit! 

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2023, 05:51:06 PM »
I would rank a homegrown Florida pineapple as a top 10 fruit.

Gone tropo

• Durian obsessed
    • Nth Qld Australia, zone 13a
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2023, 07:58:24 PM »
Pineapple over Durian...
I am out.

Agreed

cassowary

• View Profile
    • cassowaryseeds
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2023, 12:35:58 AM »
It would be wise to restart the Poll and add one rule "Only vote if you have tasted both fruits".
CASSOWARYSEEDS.COM

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2023, 02:35:03 AM »
It would be wise to restart the Poll and add one rule "Only vote if you have tasted both fruits".

I was thinking much the same thing, but vote only if you have tasted at least one of a pair.

Doing so might offer up a more realistic result, overall.

JM2¢W . . .

Paul M.
==

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2023, 08:08:57 PM »
What I remember from a past thread on Duran that one of the Forum members from Hawaii stated 70% of the people in Hawaii do not like it it's an acquired taste. Probably over 70% of the world's population will never taste one. Another form member stated it tasted like bacon custard I've had bacon mayonnaise didn't like it .So I say pineapple pineapple pineapple pineapple. Yes Rob I know this is not a blog🙂
« Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 08:10:58 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

tru

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2023, 08:21:14 PM »
mango is gonna destroy lychee probably right?
instagram @trumansacco

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2023, 08:31:23 PM »
mango is gonna destroy lychee probably right?
But of course yes!
The only thing more popular with the masses than the mango is the tomato I hear they even put it in little packages and hand out at the drive-thru
Mike T from Australia called lychee the hard shelled grape 😅
« Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 08:33:41 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

tru

• Texas
    • View Profile
Re: ROUND 3 LIVE!!! TROPICAL FRUIT FORUM OLYMPICS! - 2023
« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2023, 09:18:36 AM »
ROUND3!

Yall better stack on pineapple, DETHRONE THE MANGO
instagram @trumansacco