Author Topic: Chilean Guava propagating  (Read 1032 times)

buddy roo

• Spring Valley, Ca.
    • View Profile
Chilean Guava propagating
« on: March 25, 2019, 02:16:14 PM »
Hi All, has any one actually grown chilean guave  "ugni" from cuttings ?? i tried it last year and the year before with no luck. i know the Nursery"s do it but what is the trick?? time of year? pillow talk??   Patrick

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Chilean Guava propagating
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 06:38:12 PM »
Most guavas strike easy with air layers. If you get good rooting put the layers in pots but transplant to ground as soon as the roots develop into the potting soil. I did this and they really took off and began flowering almost immediately at 2 feet high. I removed those flowers but now six more months later they are almost waist high and should have harvestable fruits in 3 months.
If you don't have a tree and can only get cuttings I don't know.

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 11:32:25 PM »
I have rooted them in straight perlite that was getting misted multiple times daily. I also used rooting hormone on the cuttings themselves, and it took a really long time to take.  Don't remember on success rates, but they are a slow start for sure.
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2019, 11:45:59 PM »
Just thought I'd add that ground layering works really well with chilean guava, just like with pineapple guava -- it's a lot easier than rooting cuttings, and since the branches are so flexible it's pretty easy to bend them down and bury them.

NickTheNZgrower

• New Zealand, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2019, 04:33:11 AM »
We grow them readily in New Zealand and from the ones I've grown they produce suckers like crazy. Pull the growths out that come up around the base and they usually keep a few good roots attached. Grow those in a sheltered place until established.