Author Topic: Trinidad Pineapple Flowering  (Read 4424 times)

phantomcrab

• USA, St. Petersburg, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Trinidad Pineapple Flowering
« on: January 13, 2014, 01:50:04 PM »
Trinidad pineapple flowering after growing for 20 months from a USDA tissue culture.

Richard

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
Re: Trinidad Pineapple Flowering
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 02:43:04 PM »
Very nice Richard, that was quick from a TC.  Love the coloration of the inner leaves, plant looks like it is able to defend it's self pretty well too!  Cant wait for the fruit report.

phantomcrab

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 04:36:32 PM »
I will post other pictures as time progresses. I have other varieties from Hilo I got at the same time. When it warms up in February, the plants will be spread out across the yard and easier to access.
Richard

jc

• Treasure Coast, Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 07:09:10 PM »
Congrats, nice work!

Do you have any contact information for the USDA tissue culture requests? I'm interested in attempting the same thing.

Thanks.
JC

phantomcrab

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 09:52:30 PM »
Congrats, nice work!

Do you have any contact information for the USDA tissue culture requests? I'm interested in attempting the same thing.

Thanks.
Hilo site - http://www.ars.usda.gov/Main/docs.htm?docid=4938
GRIN site with all repositories & germplasm requesting process - http://www.ars-grin.gov/npgs/holdings.html - select Hilo, select species held at site, select Ananas comosus var comosus for detailed information about the varieties
Richard

jc

• Treasure Coast, Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 12:06:01 PM »
Thanks Richard!  Now I need to read up on TC propagation and growth regulators. And source of supply.
JC

phantomcrab

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 04:18:46 PM »
Two more of the USDA pineapples are developing flower spikes. Some of the others are showing signs of bud formation. It has been a cool January - February and this might have slowed flowering a bit. I must go treat my cuts now.

Trinidad now

Abacaxi

Sugar Loaf

Dole MD2 grown from a crown for comparison
Richard

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 04:29:07 PM »
Love the serrations on the leaves!  That should deter the critters.   

Brad

cmichael258

• St. Pete, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2014, 06:21:37 PM »
Love the serrations on the leaves!  That should deter the critters.

Except for that lizard in picture #2   :)
Michael

mangorific

• USA, FL, Loxahatchee, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2014, 10:49:17 PM »

GRIN site with all repositories & germplasm requesting process - http://www.ars-grin.gov/npgs/holdings.html - select Hilo, select species held at site, select Ananas comosus var comosus for detailed information about the varieties

Hello Richard. Do you have any more info you could share on requesting tissue cultures? I've checked 20-30 entries so far and all of them say "Material not available at this time", including the varieties mentioned in this thread. Assuming one day the material becomes available, what is the actual contact method and order process?

Thanks in advance...

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2014, 11:20:35 PM »
Richard

Did you have to demonstrate that the USDA request was relate to research?

Brad
Brad

phantomcrab

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2014, 10:38:24 AM »

Abacaxi

Dole MD2 for reference

Montserrat

Sugar Loaf

Trinidad

The Dole pineapples are the largest by far at this time but they were grown from tops, not tissue cultures. Sugar Loaf is the smallest and is primarily vegetative growth (suckers). It's fruit is tennis ball sized. Abacaxi and Montserrat produce many slips. CB-30 and Cultivade Parana Pichuna did not flower this season. Both Sugar Loaf and Trinidad grew suckers that produced secondary flower stalks.
Richard

Did you have to demonstrate that the USDA request was related to research?

Brad
Yes.

Hello Richard. Do you have any more info you could share on requesting tissue cultures? I've checked 20-30 entries so far and all of them say "Material not available at this time", including the varieties mentioned in this thread. Assuming one day the material becomes available, what is the actual contact method and order process?

Thanks in advance...

I just requested from the main list and was sent what was on hand. It seems that their tc availability comes and goes. The request page is here http://www.ars-grin.gov/npgs/orders.html and it took three tries (one per year) to acquire Pernambuco and Jamaica Sugar.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 01:35:45 PM by phantomcrab »
Richard

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2014, 11:22:18 AM »
For me in WPB, FL the MD-2 was the best of a bunch of varieties Sheehan has collected.  I would be happy to have a bunch of them constantly.  You can get MD-2 plants for free with purchase of most pineapples in your local grocery store! The size is large, and flavor superb!

phantomcrab

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2014, 11:54:34 AM »
I have tried the pineapples and only Abacaxi is deemed a possible keeper.
Sugar Loaf had a small fruit and a huge amount of vegetative growth. Taste was OK.
Trinidad was somewhat tough. Flavor OK. Vicious leaves.
Montserrat had a unique looking fruit with a spicy and slightly acid 'wild' flavor that was not unpleasant. Unfortunately it had small internal voids (not a problem) and a large core (a problem). Its smell was great.
Abacaxi I did not get to try. The squirrels bypassed all the other pineapples and went directly for it before it had ripened. I suspect this may be closely allied to the Hawaiian Sugarloaf pineapple. It looks similar. Smelled good. I will grow this one again with protection.
A note to anyone growing plants from the USDA. Be prepared to stake all of them. Under cultivation these plants grow pineapples heavier than the plant normally bears and the stems are unable stay upright. Although these plants grow much better root systems than the MD2, they still slump over and will sunburn if not staked or planted closely together.

Montserrat before staking
Richard

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2014, 05:53:16 PM »
Is it normal for sugar loaf to be so small? I had one this year that was small too. Unfortunately a squirrel or raccoon ate it, so didn't get to taste:( But if they normally grow tiny fruit then not with the space for me. What is the large white fleshed one that you can get at roadside vendors in Hawaii? Thought it was sugar loaf, but what was left of mine was definetly yellow inside...

phantomcrab

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2014, 06:55:50 PM »
Is it normal for sugar loaf to be so small?
The ones I have seen in FL have all been small. My plant had white fleshed fruit and many suckers.
Richard

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2014, 07:41:03 AM »
Thanks Richard. Useful to know that maybe they just grow small in FL.