Author Topic: Looking for banana flavored apples  (Read 859 times)

plantperson

• East Coast 8a
    • View Profile
Looking for banana flavored apples
« on: January 17, 2023, 08:54:21 PM »
What apple variety has the most banana flavor? Thanks!

plantperson

• East Coast 8a
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for banana flavored apples
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2023, 06:55:39 PM »
Also, can anyone recommend sources of trees?

JSea

• New Zealand, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2023, 11:47:47 PM »
In my very limited experience, apples with "banana flavor" are only apparent when the apple has aged for at least a few weeks and started to turn towards floury texture. I've never tasted any of this flavor when they are still at the crisp and juicy stage. Would be interested to hear if anyone else has experienced anything different.

I can't remember which variety had that flavor, but it wasn't 'Winter Banana' which is known for it.

gordonh1

• Western Washington, zone 7b/8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2023, 03:05:27 PM »
The variety "My Jewel" is supposed to be banana-flavored. It is not that common, and might never have been marketed widely. Nick Botner sold scions until his retirement. I obtained scions labeled My Jewel a few years ago and grafted them onto a couple of different rootstocks, one dwarfing and one full-size. The trees are growing, and may now start to produce fruit that will enable me to determine if it is indeed My Jewel that I am growing.  I had one or two fruits in a prior year, but I did not detect the banana flavor. If I can confirm it, I would be able to send scions. It might be too late for scions this year.

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2023, 04:16:37 AM »
In my very limited experience, apples with "banana flavor" are only apparent when the apple has aged for at least a few weeks and started to turn towards floury texture. I've never tasted any of this flavor when they are still at the crisp and juicy stage. Would be interested to hear if anyone else has experienced anything different.

I can't remember which variety had that flavor, but it wasn't 'Winter Banana' which is known for it.

I do remember some years ago reading similar things about Banana flavoured Apples needing a storage / after ripening period.