Author Topic: sunburn from led lights?  (Read 5890 times)

incubator01

• Belgium, Central Europe
    • View Profile
Re: sunburn from led lights?
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2022, 05:30:40 PM »
Thousands of citrus trees in Florida are grafted upon Carrizo. The humidity in Florida reaches up to 100%.

but florida doesn't have cold temperatures in the winter / spring like Belgium. ther's the difference
Florida is citrus heaven, Belgium is not. As much as I wanted to grow other kinds here,  I just can't. Unless I invest in a complete isolated controlled environment.
So I have to stick with certain rootstocks and certain scions that are more resistant to our climate.
So far Yuzu & Shikuwasa are proving to be very successful here.
Poncirus by itself too, but mine doesn't seem to grow new leaves yet, probably because oscar tintori sawed off a lot of the thicker branches for grafting purposes.

poncirsguy

• Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, 6a/6b
    • View Profile

vesteronys

« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2022, 05:37:08 PM »
Spammer
« Last Edit: October 06, 2022, 02:11:28 PM by JakeFruit »

mollyparsum

« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2022, 05:31:17 PM »
Spammer
« Last Edit: October 06, 2022, 02:13:20 PM by JakeFruit »

1rainman

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2022, 04:55:59 AM »
Yep 100% humidity and sun so powerful it will burn your skin in 15 minutes if you are pale and citrus like it. But citrus don't like sitting in wet soil. It's good to add some sand to the potting soil. They can dry out quite a bit between watering with no problem but damp wet swamp soil they don't like. Don't like mulch. Here in Florida yes high humidity and rains a lot but the dirt is sand so roots dry out between watering and also hot so it dries quickly. A seedling needs zero fertilizer. They will sprout in pure sand. You can fertilize heavy once the plant is big.

1rainman

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2022, 05:03:17 AM »
There is a lot of variation in what citrus can handle the cold. Dwarf Meyer lemon is perfect for the north. Bring inside when temps go below freezing otherwise it does great. I had lemons in Ohio. It's small enough to grow in a large container and move inside in the winter. I used grow lights in winter.

Some citrus need hot temperature though. Lemons do not like cold but Meyer lemon is only 3/4 lemon. Nobody knows exactly but thought to be 1/8 grapefruit which is very cold hearty 1/8 tangerine and 3/4 lemon. I can eat these lemons they are only slightly sour due to being part orange or whatever. By far the best citrus for the north. I had a tangerine that did well but got too big. Grapefruit is probably the easiest citrus to grow that is good to eat in my opinion or a tangelo half grapefruit half tangerine. Or the Meyer lemon.

incubator01

• Belgium, Central Europe
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2022, 05:46:47 PM »
There is a lot of variation in what citrus can handle the cold. Dwarf Meyer lemon is perfect for the north. Bring inside when temps go below freezing otherwise it does great. I had lemons in Ohio. It's small enough to grow in a large container and move inside in the winter. I used grow lights in winter.

Some citrus need hot temperature though. Lemons do not like cold but Meyer lemon is only 3/4 lemon. Nobody knows exactly but thought to be 1/8 grapefruit which is very cold hearty 1/8 tangerine and 3/4 lemon. I can eat these lemons they are only slightly sour due to being part orange or whatever. By far the best citrus for the north. I had a tangerine that did well but got too big. Grapefruit is probably the easiest citrus to grow that is good to eat in my opinion or a tangelo half grapefruit half tangerine. Or the Meyer lemon.

All of this depends on the rootstock.
Anything grafted on macrophylla or volkarmerian will die here, my pursha lemon on macrophylla recovered transplant shock but is now struggling to grow, despite well draining soil and dry conditions, it's pretty clear it wont survive another winter here.

I will no longer buy anything on those rootstocks.
Same with carrizo, too sensitive

Seedlings can get a very diluted version of food once they're a year old, been doing this now with great success in combination with a grow light.
They grow like mad.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 09:23:14 AM by incubator01 »

1rainman

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2022, 08:46:02 PM »
My Meyer lemon wasn't on any root stock. Generally root stock would get too big for a container and be root bound. Dwarf Meyer lemon only grew as big as the container and was healthy. Though it got fruit when in a big pot. It's the only one small enough for me to grow in a container and bring indoors.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk