Author Topic: Myer lemon citrus no leaves  (Read 1225 times)

Pau

• California
    • View Profile
Myer lemon citrus no leaves
« on: May 16, 2022, 10:25:44 PM »
Anyone know whats wrong with my myer lemon tree in a pot? Flowers like crazy with no leaves, then drops all fruits.

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
Re: Myer lemon citrus no leaves
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2022, 02:59:52 AM »
The problem with the fruit drop is becouse of the leaf drop, no leaves means no food so no energy to sustain fruit. 
The problem is probably in the soil, it can be too much moisture since i think this pot a little too large for the plant. Check if the soil at the drainage holes is wet or overly moist. Ive experienced  citrus roots rot in a too wet of a soil. The other spectrum could be too dry, u can check for those two criteria. 
It could be starved for food, thought my citrus are generally also way underfed, but i havent had a leaf drop becouse of this.

Pau

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2022, 04:30:21 PM »
I see, thank you

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2022, 06:24:42 PM »
I agree with plantyium, check drainage. 

1rainman

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2022, 11:07:37 PM »
Is that mulch in the pot? Citrus don't like mulch. If anything they'd do better with a small amount of sand mixed in the potting soil. Even though they have no problem being watered all the time they like well drained soil.

citrange

• UK - 15 miles west of London
    • View Profile
    • Home Citrus growers
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2022, 06:46:51 AM »
It looks to me like coconut husk chips.  Are you using that as growing medium or just a top mulch?
I used CHCs for several years for my potted citrus but found they break down fairly quickly into an unhealthy and often soggy mix. For a couple of years they are fine, although getting the watering right is difficult. But after that things go downhill and root rot often sets in.

Pau

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2022, 08:15:11 PM »
The mulch is only on top. I bought a moisture/ph instrument based on everyones suggestion of drainage. Will post an updated picture later. Thank you for the replies!

12Zodiac

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2022, 01:55:59 PM »
It’s probably the type of soil you’re using. I’m using peat moss, sand, pumice, perlite and mulched with cedar bark.  My Myer lemon was same size as your at the beginning of the year. It’s in the same size wine barrel and I’m watering everyday in the hot summer. Also removed the mulch away from the feet or else it’ll caused rot like one of my orange tree.