Author Topic: Sugar Cane Juicer  (Read 59650 times)

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Re: Sugar Cane Juicer
« Reply #200 on: November 23, 2022, 09:57:08 PM »
It looks like the same asian black Simon has.  Did you source it from one of us?  I want to grow the pink juice but I already tried the asian black Simon was growing and it doesn't grow vigorously for me.

Maybe you can try using lemon or lime juice in the tray instead of the straight citric acid and see if it keeps the same color. 

Brad Spaugh

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: November 23, 2022, 10:12:29 PM »
It looks like the same asian black Simon has.  Did you source it from one of us?  I want to grow the pink juice but I already tried the asian black Simon was growing and it doesn't grow vigorously for me.

Maybe you can try using lemon or lime juice in the tray instead of the straight citric acid and see if it keeps the same color.

I am pretty sure it is the same as what Simon was growing. I got it from Echo in Ft. Meyers (labeled as "black sugarcane") because it matched the description Simon gave of Asian Black. Palmtreeluke also sells it here in Florida and I have gotten other canes from him. Maybe Echo got it from him? You are correct, it is not a vigorous grower compared to the other kinds. However, my wife just loves the color if that juice! As a result, I have a "variety row" with 5 kinds, and a whole row dedicated just to the black.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: November 23, 2022, 10:18:33 PM »
I'm pretty sure that I have used lemon or lime at one point. I will have to try it again and see how it turns out. I have noticed that really thick canes make a lighter pink juice than the thin ones.

Eggo

• USA, California, LA/OC, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: November 23, 2022, 11:43:57 PM »
I have to confess that this is one of my favorite threads on the forum. Thank you Simon and Brad for all the hard work and research that you have put in. Because of this thread I bought a juicer and started growing heirloom cane. Asian Black is my favorite so far. Here is my small contribution.

One of the big problems with the Asian Black cane is that it oxidizes so fast. To prevent this, I scrub the canes very well and put 1 to 1.5 teaspoons of citric acid powder in the juicer tray before I start juicing. This keeps the juice from oxidizing and preserves the beautiful rose color for several days in the fridge.

If you put this concoction in an icecream freezer it becomes a healthy version of a gas station slushy. And when you put what is left over in the freezer its like Italian ice. I can't figure out why more people aren't into this!

Wow, gorgeous color. Looks like pink lemonade.

Eggo

• View Profile
« Reply #204 on: December 03, 2022, 07:54:12 PM »
Simon and all, I pulled the trigger on David's Cane Machine, the Mighty Mini. $1700 including shipping and several spare parts.  I've used it a few times already and it's a solid machine. I'm very happy with the machine.  I like the quality, all the safety features, and ease of cleaning.  It feels like a very safe machine that i would not mind anyone in my family to operate.  My father was surprise by how much juice we got out of just a few canes.  The spent canes came out very dry. There's no need to run it through the machine more than once.  I tried to limit the length of the cane to 1 to 1.5 foot.  The reason was that the canes get squeezed so tightly juice literally squirts out the other end of of the cane.  The smaller cuts seems to limit this.  Not sure if that's normal or due to the cane variety.  Also the diameter of the slot for the cane is 2 inches.  Make sure that both ends fit through.  I had one large cane where one end fit and the other end was quite larger.  The cane jam in the slot.  This did not effect the rollers at all! But I had to use some pruners to slice up the cane to get it unjam from the slot, only took less than 5 minutes.  If you have large cane varieties you will probably have to split it in half.  I think the circular slot is a safety feature, looks like you could unscrew it and feed in larger canes if needed but I have not tried this so take this part as a maybe. Solid, compact machine compared to others but weighs maybe 70 or 80 lbs.  It feels like this machine will last for many many years.  The only major con is that the pricing is not for everyone so you better be juicing quite a bit.  My wife goes through a lot of juice so for us I think in a little more than 2 years it will pay for itself, ahaha.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: December 08, 2022, 10:02:43 PM »
Hey Eggo,

Thanks for the info! Sounds like you and your family will make great use of the juicer. That’s awesome that it comes with spare parts. I would definitely like to order some spare bearings if I get one of these units. I’m really considering getting one of the larger units since I usually juice for large crowds at fruit tastings/parties.

Everyone growing sugarcane should get a purpose made Sugarcane juicer. The juice is so refreshing, especially after working on the yard on a hot Summer day. Don’t even try to juice sugarcane with a machine that wasn’t built for sugarcane.

Simon

eggo2

• CA Zone 10 L.A./O.C
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: January 15, 2023, 10:59:20 PM »
There's alot of videos out there of this intensely yellow sugarcane variety.  Anyone growing it?  I also noticed that the bottom leaves are stripped?  What do you think, does this help with coloring? I grew a green/yellow variety this year but only the parts covered by the leaf sections/ blocked by the sun was yellow. The juice comes out more green than yellow. I juice with the skin on for the extra health benefits the skin has and also add citrus.  But also interested in finding natural ways to get a color that leans towards yellow vs green whether it's variety or planting practices.  I'm also getting the San Diego Yellow from Brad, really excited to grow that this year.

https://youtube.com/shorts/5f6s2x-YFbk?feature=share

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 16, 2023, 09:08:26 AM »
All of the yellow varieties that I grow start off green. As they get fully mature the color changes to yellow. That video is showing fully mature stalks that have made this transition. Some varieties do turn yellow faster than others, though. I would guess that you just meed to let your cane mature a little more to get it to turn yellow.

plant/it

• Los Angeles,Ca,Torrance,11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 31, 2023, 01:24:53 AM »
Hello to all. I'm green new to sugar cane. I have been looking at the juicer at Amazon, Can someone tell me what they think of them.   

plant/it

• Los Angeles,Ca,Torrance,11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: February 05, 2023, 10:15:19 PM »
I found a company on Craig list ,no name . But they sale sugar cane juice
machine . I brought Model 134024 it's the handy crank one , cost was $222.00 U.S. doller.  I don't know what the shipping would have been sent i went there to pick it up You have to clean the rollers very good. Try it work realy good. They even open the crate so i could see it.OK hear the information.
Address
11241 jersey Blvd unit 102
Rancho Cucamong .CA 91730
Phone
(626)-415-6138 or (626-802-4791

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #210 on: April 08, 2023, 01:50:12 PM »
Simon and all, I pulled the trigger on David's Cane Machine, the Mighty Mini. $1700 including shipping and several spare parts.  I've used it a few times already and it's a solid machine. I'm very happy with the machine.  I like the quality, all the safety features, and ease of cleaning.  It feels like a very safe machine that i would not mind anyone in my family to operate.  My father was surprise by how much juice we got out of just a few canes.  The spent canes came out very dry. There's no need to run it through the machine more than once.  I tried to limit the length of the cane to 1 to 1.5 foot.  The reason was that the canes get squeezed so tightly juice literally squirts out the other end of of the cane.  The smaller cuts seems to limit this.  Not sure if that's normal or due to the cane variety.  Also the diameter of the slot for the cane is 2 inches.  Make sure that both ends fit through.  I had one large cane where one end fit and the other end was quite larger.  The cane jam in the slot.  This did not effect the rollers at all! But I had to use some pruners to slice up the cane to get it unjam from the slot, only took less than 5 minutes.  If you have large cane varieties you will probably have to split it in half.  I think the circular slot is a safety feature, looks like you could unscrew it and feed in larger canes if needed but I have not tried this so take this part as a maybe. Solid, compact machine compared to others but weighs maybe 70 or 80 lbs.  It feels like this machine will last for many many years.  The only major con is that the pricing is not for everyone so you better be juicing quite a bit.  My wife goes through a lot of juice so for us I think in a little more than 2 years it will pay for itself, ahaha.

I tried to contact David for a quote on a juicer.  He wanted me to use whatsapp to contact him.  I dont have whatsapp and dont want it.  Whats up with these people who cant just use email to make a deal? 
Brad Spaugh

Eggo

• View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 09, 2023, 01:40:07 AM »
lol, yeah he's pretty adamant about using whatsap for communication. His juicers are pretty pricey. I think he gets quite a bit of inquiry with lots of people backing out due to the price.  Therefore it's easier for him to do his sales spiel with the ap ahah.  I done quite a bit of research already when I contacted him about the juicer and I already knew I was getting the juicer but still got the whole sales routine anyways.  Overall though he was great on communication, before, during, and after I got the juicer.  There's some minor flaws about the juicer but overall it's a solid safe equipment that I have no regrets about.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 09, 2023, 06:33:16 PM »
Brad, if you get a juicer, you may want to get the heavier duty one with the double ball herrings. I was considering getting one of the bigger units myself but my current motor still works fine on my manual juicer.

Simon

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 09, 2023, 06:54:24 PM »
I think the davids juicer is out of my price range.  They have 500$ motorized ones on ebay that look pretty legit.  Its tempting to get one of those.  I did use the manual juicer today and cut the canes into half the long way and they were not that hard to juice by hand but yeah its a chore.  What to do? 

What domyou guys think?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/282282718226?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D777008%26algo%3DPERSONAL.TOPIC%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20220705100511%26meid%3D69566ac5dd7643e8b093892d16b23da6%26pid%3D101524%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26itm%3D282282718226%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2380057%26algv%3DRecentlyViewedItemsV2%26brand%3DZX&_trksid=p2380057.c101524.m146925&_trkparms=pageci%3A3055e5c0-d729-11ed-ba64-ea470d2dcad3%7Cparentrq%3A6838713f1870a4e851c2e223fffda4e4%7Ciid%3A1

Does that link work?

We juiced the jamaica stripes today.   It seems to stay bright yellow and not oxidize as much as the yellow canes.  Brix was off the chart too.
Brad Spaugh

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 10, 2023, 03:35:32 AM »

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 10, 2023, 12:55:35 PM »
I think the davids juicer is out of my price range.  They have 500$ motorized ones on ebay that look pretty legit.  Its tempting to get one of those.  I did use the manual juicer today and cut the canes into half the long way and they were not that hard to juice by hand but yeah its a chore.  What to do? 

What domyou guys think?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/282282718226?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D777008%26algo%3DPERSONAL.TOPIC%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20220705100511%26meid%3D69566ac5dd7643e8b093892d16b23da6%26pid%3D101524%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26itm%3D282282718226%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2380057%26algv%3DRecentlyViewedItemsV2%26brand%3DZX&_trksid=p2380057.c101524.m146925&_trkparms=pageci%3A3055e5c0-d729-11ed-ba64-ea470d2dcad3%7Cparentrq%3A6838713f1870a4e851c2e223fffda4e4%7Ciid%3A1

Does that link work?

We juiced the jamaica stripes today.   It seems to stay bright yellow and not oxidize as much as the yellow canes.  Brix was off the chart too.

Brad, the past couple times we've juiced the Jamaican red stripe, we noticed it had a light creamy vanilla taste to it compared to the others, it's so good.  I had the same observation about the color, but it may be because my San Diego yellow canes did not stay yellow. They all got shades of a beautiful light magenta blush to them and the juice oxidized to a greenish yellow.

The supposed stainless steel rollers on the manual juicer I bought from Ebay a few years ago have started to grind off into our juice.  We noticed little tiny flecks of silver last time we used it.  It was easy to strain through tea towels, but I don't really feel good about using it anymore.   

I was looking at the commercial sugar cane press sold by Home Depot.
https://www.homedepot.com/pep/VEVOR-Sugarcane-Press-Electric-3-Rollers-304-Stainless-Steel-Juicers-660-lb-h-Output-Sugar-Cane-Press-for-Commercial-Use-GZZZJDD3GTM750W01V1/321408448?source=shoppingads&locale=en-US&&mtc=SHOPPING-BF-HDH-GGL-D59H-029_028_SMALL_ELECTR-NA-MULTI-NA-SMART-HDH-HDH-NA-NA-NBR-NA-NA-NA-%7C029_028_003_BLENDERS%7C&cm_mmc=SHOPPING-BF-HDH-GGL-D59H-029_028_SMALL_ELECTR-NA-MULTI-NA-SMART-HDH-HDH-NA-NA-NBR-NA-NA-NA-%7C029_028_003_BLENDERS%7C-71700000088426412-58700007491668729-92700067628231131&gclid=CjwKCAjw586hBhBrEiwAQYEnHSRk5JzuX_y-Vjnxkzb05gRLby6c2ffKGz6lxgcAcLSSeD5LGxQ_URoCiVwQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I don't have the space for it yet, but the next one I buy I want to get it from a larger company with a good return policy.  Looks like they offer 90 day returns and if you purchase with a Home Depot credit card they extend the return period to a year.  Think it makes sense for me to apply for their card for the extended return time.

I wish there was a place we could go check out these cane juicers in person.

Janet
« Last Edit: April 10, 2023, 12:58:11 PM by JCorte »

Lovetoplant

• Oxnard,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: April 12, 2023, 01:49:22 AM »
Janet what brand of the juicer did you buy?

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: April 12, 2023, 03:01:27 PM »
Lovetoplant, my cane juicer doesn't have a brand name.  I tried to find one that was made in the USA, but couldn't find a source anywhere.  Luke at Green Planet Farm stopped manufacturing/ selling his because he couldn't compete with the imports from China. 

I looked into David's Cane Machines but didn't want to spend that much for a machine that I had to import and didn't really have many detailed product reviews from customers.  This may have changed, I haven't really researched them since I bought mine.

The machine I got looks the same as most of the ones being sold on ebay and amazon.  It served the purpose of allowing me to grow and juice our canes without making a huge investment.  Now that we have, I definitely want to invest in a better and larger machine.  I'm still not sure how to confirm the quality of most machines being sold.  When I read reviews, I like to read all the negative and critical reviews first. 

Anyways, that's why I like the idea of ordering from a company that has a longer than 30 day return policy so I can actually take the time to assess the quality.

Janet

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 12, 2023, 04:43:55 PM »
For the money the one at Home Depot looks pretty nice. If you get a Home Depot credit card they will send you coupons. They frequently send me 10% off coupons that you can use for any purchases upto $2000. With that coupon the HD juicer would be $710 with a one year return window.

Bill

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #220 on: May 09, 2023, 09:28:22 PM »
I got the ebay 800watts cane press.  It seems really stout and all parts are stainless.  Works good so far.

Brad Spaugh

pari.sehgal

« Reply #221 on: September 25, 2023, 12:03:05 PM »
spammer
« Last Edit: September 25, 2023, 03:36:23 PM by JakeFruit »

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #222 on: March 15, 2024, 12:27:03 PM »
I just received my new sugarcane juicer. After a lot of web searching, I decided to go with this Vevor 4 roller machine because I have thick canes and the 800 watt motor will be more powerful than the 400 watt models. I’ll still have to split my largest canes in half but at least the motor is less likely to stall.

https://m.vevor.com/electric-sugarcane-press-c_10699/vevor-electric-sugar-cane-juicer-800w-sugarcane-juicer-machine-with-661lbs-h-high-output-4-stainless-steel-roller-auto-roller-pressure-adjustment-sugarcane-juice-press-extractor-for-home-commercial-p_010805021199?adp=gmc&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_id=16872267312&utm_term=&gad_source=1&gbraid=0AAAAACq8bLVARpLO1P7BS69EFgKIsrsJX&gclid=CjwKCAjw48-vBhBbEiwAzqrZVOaNNOlh6_n-HbW5I1boR9lpXamYXyg3nEJQ1xhnBu7T1Itjjwlg2xoCcl4QAvD_BwE

What I like about this juicer:
800 watts of power, 4 rollers for single pass juicing, acrylic window for viewing which easily slides up for cleaning and to empty strainer, the entire sugarcane juice extraction area is 304 stainless steel, the motor, gears and electronics are extremely robust, one of the four rollers have actual teeth for pulling in sugarcane that has not been peeled.

What I don’t like about this juicer:
It is very heavy, probably around 100 lbs, the strainer is relatively small and just tucks under the rollers, expensive at around 800-850 for the backyard gardener.

They also have a 3 roller model that is lighter in weight and cheaper.

Picture of the great quality rollers

The gears, chain and electronics. This model has better wiring connections than other models I checked out.

Simon

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #223 on: March 15, 2024, 05:28:30 PM »
Its smart to get the 800w one Simon.  The unit I got is heavy too but it has wheels to move it around.  Can't tell if yours has wheels. 

I swapped out the phillips screws with stainless thumb screws that don't require a tool to remove.  So you can remove the cover and clean it out without a screw driver. 

Ill hook you up with some of those if yours can also use them.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2024, 08:23:05 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #224 on: March 16, 2024, 01:31:40 PM »
Hey Brad, I’m glad I spoke with you before getting my new juicer. I think if I got the 400 watt model, I would have buyers remorse by now. I tested out my new juicer yesterday and I ran my thickest cane through it without cutting it in half and it easily pressed without stalling. My unit does not come with wheels so I might add some giant wheels from Harbor freight.

This unit was extremely easy to clean since the juicing chamber is completely sealed off. I just spray the top opening with a hose and lift the viewing window and spray everything out. This machine is a beast!

Simon