Author Topic: Mastergrafter video from Australia  (Read 1679 times)

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Mastergrafter video from Australia
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 10:34:25 PM »
Yeah, I had a look at their clonal avocado setup last year. Pretty interesting. Unfortunately they only sell them to farmers for the time being.
They sometimes do great stuff, but increasingly their market is the big farmers and big hardware stores, so their product line is generally shrinking to meet the more popular market. Though they are one of the few nurseries left that are still importing new plants legally. Hopefully they get somewhere with a full release of seedless lychees in the near future.

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 10:55:37 PM »
Interesting video.  Thanks for sharing, Bangkok.
Applying laws and rules equally to all is a cornerstone of a civilized society.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 11:28:54 PM »
I had never seen such a nice proffesional nursery, everything looks perfect there. Also i can understand they won't sell their tree's one by one to locals. Maybe they can do that by internet to keep it efficient. Would be even better if they would sell worldwide, i sure would order from them.

Now the imported avocado's from Australia/ New Zealand are half price because Thai grown avocado's are in season as well. So it's time they start exporting something else to us here. Seedless lychee's would be the ultimate with so many rich chinese family's in Thailand. They would buy them for any price, the more expensive the more they would buy them to give as presents.

Also i never knew that rootstocks were that important so they have to be cloned as well.
It looks so easy to graft avocado but out of 10 attempts i only succeeded one time so far. Even approach grafting avocado doesn't work for me but i will get there one day.

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 11:47:23 PM »
Under QLD conditions, many avocadoes die from phytophthora. Its a massive problem here, so having clonal rootstocks makes good sense, especially if you are a farmer, who cant afford to have half their orchard decline or die after a good wet season. Its common for farmers to drill holes in the trunk to inject phosacid, but even then, you have to continue to inject regularly as you can never get rid of it. So clonal rootstocks that are near resistant to the problem is massive for farmers and will hopefully also help backyarders, who generally struggle with the same problem. Then we'd just have to worry about the fruit spotting bugs, which leave little stones in the fruit flesh...

And yes, the nursery is very professional. You have to give your shoes copper baths when entering growing areas. They are not interested in online business and are already super busy with their current wholesale business. The thing about selling direct is that you might spend the same amount of time dealing with a single customer that only wants one tree (but has common internet neuroses) as you would selling 1000 trees to a few big professional nurseries, farmers or big box stores. They only sell direct once a year at the big plant expo 10km up the road from them, and even there they just take what they want to and wont reveal what they are taking until they turn up.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 01:20:15 AM »
Under QLD conditions, many avocadoes die from phytophthora. Its a massive problem here, so having clonal rootstocks makes good sense, especially if you are a farmer, who cant afford to have half their orchard decline or die after a good wet season. Its common for farmers to drill holes in the trunk to inject phosacid, but even then, you have to continue to inject regularly as you can never get rid of it. So clonal rootstocks that are near resistant to the problem is massive for farmers and will hopefully also help backyarders, who generally struggle with the same problem. Then we'd just have to worry about the fruit spotting bugs, which leave little stones in the fruit flesh...

And yes, the nursery is very professional. You have to give your shoes copper baths when entering growing areas. They are not interested in online business and are already super busy with their current wholesale business. The thing about selling direct is that you might spend the same amount of time dealing with a single customer that only wants one tree (but has common internet neuroses) as you would selling 1000 trees to a few big professional nurseries, farmers or big box stores. They only sell direct once a year at the big plant expo 10km up the road from them, and even there they just take what they want to and wont reveal what they are taking until they turn up.

Allright, well they sure know what they are doing..It seems that Australia is far more professional then what i see here. I just found the first treeseller who has all their grafted mangotree's labelled with the variety name on the label  ;D  ;D  Still the rootstock is unknown. For grafted avocadotree's here i have one labelled Peterson, the rest is unknown. ;D The seller told me they are Heck avocado, i guess that is Hass but it has huge leaves so i hope it is Booth#7, time will tell.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk