Author Topic: Brazil Trip 2014 - photos  (Read 5661 times)

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Brazil Trip 2014 - photos
« on: August 31, 2014, 09:51:43 PM »
Here are some photos from most recent trip to Brazil, got back this morning.  Spent half the time in Rio and the other half in Espirito Santo.  I wasn't expecting to find much fruit, but was happy with what I did run across.  Also managed to get some seeds back this time (last year DFW Customs took my seeds and forwarded to APHIS via FedEx - and they went missing; FedEx paid me for the mistake, but it didn't make up for the loss of time)

Jaca (Mole) - courtesy of this uncle - eaten raw and made into a juice

Jaca & Acaca Una fruit - frozen - used for juices

Araca Una - the trees on left and right

Carambola - mother-in-law's tree had a couple fruit and was flowering

Papaya - we planted last July from seed, already 10' tall, but some strange looking fruit

Cannonball - I decided to pick a small cannonball, the kids tried to use it as a soccer ball

Bananas - another uncle has a farm with more than a dozen types of bananas

Palmito - his neighbor has a palmito plantation, we ate the palmito with our BBQ... I'm not a fan

Maracuja / passion fruit - my brother in law had this growing on his fence... sweet pulp, looks like papaya

Araza - can you help identify this one?  Close to psidium guineense, flesh is orange, sweet (banana/pineapple) with just a bit of acidity

Jaboticabas - I found a couple different trees with fruit and bought a kilo at the market (separate thread for help ID'ing jabos)

Icecream - Awesome selection of icecream in tropical flavors.  I had jaca this time.

The seed haul - And they made it back this time!

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
Re: Brazil Trip 2014 - photos
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 11:50:32 PM »
Wow, looks like you had a great trip and your family has a beautiful set up with all the trees.  Glad you seed shipment made it to you this time.

Tropicaliste

• Washington D.C. Area, US 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 01:38:58 AM »
Wonderful pictures of family and fruits .... what an adventure. I can't wait to see how your seeds germinate. :)

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 09:56:58 AM »
...thanks for the comments.  Its always fun to see my wife's family, and they have fun sharing their fruits with me, knowing I'm trying to get all of it to grow in my yard.  It all started with a single guava tree roughly 7 years ago.

If I can get the Araca Una to germinate, I will have plenty of seeds available for forum members.  I'm not pinning any hopes on it, since most of the 750 seeds came from frozen fruit (the season had ended just prior to our arrival), and only a handful were collected from fresh fruit.  I took back so many thinking it would be a difficult task.

I really want to grow that Araza with orange flesh.  My aunt's two trees will have plenty of fruit in another couple of months.  I left behind a sheet of seed permits for them to send those seeds as well as seeds of their jaboticabas as they ripen.

Hopefully I can convince my wife to go back in their summer next year, when the fruit and surf are better.  Just one day in the water, as we miss-timed a very fun swell that hit Rio but missed ES.

durianwriter

• on the durian hunt
    • View Profile
    • Year of the Durian
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 11:33:37 AM »
Wow, looks like a great trip! So many cool fruits.  If I can ever tear myself away from Southeast Asia, Brazil is on the bucket list.
www.yearofthedurian.com
Author of:
The Durian Tourist's Guide to Penang
The Durian Tourist's Guide to Thailand

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 07:40:47 PM »
PlantedWorld - yeah, what an amazing trip.  I'm so unfamiliar with all those fruits, it would
have been boggling to me!  Good luck with the sprouting.  Some day I will make Brazil!!!!

Gary

huertasurbanas

• Junín, Argentina, zone 9b/9a
    • View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2014, 07:56:53 PM »
Hi, very interesting!

What about araça una? did you tried the fruit in icecreams or juices? I think you could not tasted it out of hand...

I have some seedlings and, because I love p. cattleianum, I think will like this one too

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2014, 08:59:24 PM »
Araca una is VERY acidic.  I like the acid in the common pitanga, but the araca una is out of control.  It's also a fairly seedy fruit, and the seeds are hard (not sure if you have "Grape Nuts" cereal in Argentina, but these things are a solid match).  Fruit is also relatively small.  I think it would be amazing with miracle fruit - but I have a difficult time eating it out of hand... a couple at best.  It makes a top-notch juice.  Besides the juice potential, these trees are great for their production and color of fruit (I'm a fan of red fruit).  Selective breeding could yield something spectacular... Coconut, are you game?  They need to be bigger in my opinion, with less seeds, and some more sweetness to balance the acidity.  Otherwise, I think this fruit is destined for relative obscurity... one tree will be plenty for my collection.

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2014, 04:25:11 PM »
Here are seed germination results after two weeks...

Araza (unknown Psidium)... 0%
Araca Una (Psidium eugeniafolia)... 0%
Sapoti... 0%

Jaboticaba (thin red skin, very good tasting variety - found on tree at restaurant)... 50% (3/6)

Jaboticaba (store bought, unrefrigerated)... 59% (19/32)

Jaboticaba (store bought, refrigerated one week)... 40% (8/20)

Jackfruit (Jaca mole/soft jackfruit)... 32% (10/31)

Pitanga... 33% (6/18)

Sugar apple... 32% (16/50)

Seeds waiting to place in bags to germinate... 950
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 04:29:19 PM by PltdWorld »

huertasurbanas

• View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2014, 10:40:39 PM »
Great for just 2 weeks... you will see many more of them sprouting in the few weeks to come... psidium are slower; the photos are very good, thanks.

What are you using as a heater? and how many ºF?

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2014, 01:59:11 AM »
I have seeds sitting on a sprouting mat I picked up at local hydroponics store.  It's turned off right now since ambient temperature is mid 80s Farenheight in my garage.  I use it in the winter when temps drop into the 50s.

Really hoping I get both Araza and araca una to germinate!

huertasurbanas

• View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2014, 01:28:05 PM »
They will... almost all my araza-una sprouted (9 out of 10), but then the seed coat didnt fell off, so I now have just 3 little plants doing fine.

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2014, 12:24:27 AM »
Araca una seeds are starting to pop... 50% germination at 19 days.  I have another 750 araca una seeds that are from previously frozen fruit... I'll start germinating those now and if they somehow take look for a follow-up post.

No sign of sprouting yet on the unidentified psidium.

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2014, 01:25:57 PM »
Progress of seedlings from this trip... none of the frozen araza una seeds germinated (no surprise there), my single sapodilla seed is doing fine, lots of jabo, jackfruit are all doing well and the unknown Araza have sprouted with almost 100% germination.  Looking forward to growing that one out - it was the best tasting guava-like fruit I've ever had.

Araza Una

Araza (unknown)

Jackfruit

Sapodilla

Jabo

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2014, 07:29:45 PM »
Nice pics, but i googled for plantedworld to see your nursery and i got this:
http://www.plantworld-holland.nl/
http://www.plant-world-seeds.com/store/view_tropical_fruit

And what does "all rights reserved"  mean by the way? Can we not use your pics on website like the fruitforum?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 07:36:42 PM by bangkok »

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2014, 08:27:46 PM »

[edited]

And what does "all rights reserved"  mean by the way? Can we not use your pics on website like the fruitforum?

I am not affiliated with the websites you mentioned.  There are many nurseries with similar names, including another nursery in San Diego county called Plant World.  I have a registered domain name, but am not currently doing anything with it.  I have a nursery license, but don't sell much - this is a hobby for me. 

As for retaining the rights to my photos - I just don't want people like dorgon using them.  As I grow things, I am documenting them with photos - if others benefit from them all the better.  Unless it's someone who wants to sell fake seeds of the plants I have photographed, which is why I have put my logo on them - to prevent the photos from ending up on some unscrupulous ebay users' listing.  If anyone wants a copy of a photo I have taken without my logo, just ask.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2014, 09:09:41 PM »

[edited]

I am not affiliated with the websites you mentioned.  There are many nurseries with similar names, including another nursery in San Diego county called Plant World.  I have a registered domain name, but am not currently doing anything with it.  I have a nursery license, but don't sell much - this is a hobby for me. 

As for retaining the rights to my photos - I just don't want people like dorgon using them.  As I grow things, I am documenting them with photos - if others benefit from them all the better.  Unless it's someone who wants to sell fake seeds of the plants I have photographed, which is why I have put my logo on them - to prevent the photos from ending up on some unscrupulous ebay users' listing.  If anyone wants a copy of a photo I have taken without my logo, just ask.

Oh i see, i understand your reasons but you made the text so big that it is disattracting the attention of the fruit.
And if you put the text at the bottom  then it is easy to cut that piece off and still use the pic.

I would like to know which is the best mango from Brazil, there is not much info about that on the internet (in english).

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2014, 09:45:15 PM »
There are some forum members here who live in Brazil and would be able to give you more info about local mango selection.  I encountered a lot of Tommy Atkins, Haden and Palmer in the markets.  There are seedling mango trees everywhere (including the public streets around Copa Cabana)... I'm sure there's some amazing fruit among them.

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2014, 11:55:24 PM »
That guava is the one we have here labelled 'Brazilian Guava'. Some call it 'Gooseberry Guava', others 'Pineapple Guava' (Feijoa tastes nothing like a pineapple guava once you taste these). A friend has a fruiting tree that looks similar to that one and mine is flowering for the first time - hoping for a few fruits to test that it grows true - I've heard a few have outcrossed and seedlings have come out different, with some being 4 x larger but similar flesh. It has a very sweet pineapple flavour to it with a hint of something else - maybe strawberry or banana.

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2014, 02:48:36 AM »
BMC - thanks, that's encouraging!  I'm hoping to get a lot more seeds from the two trees my aunt has.  I have a dozen or so seedlings going now, guessing it will be at least a few years before I get fruit.  Any idea of the botanical name?