Author Topic: Lamb Hass in So. Florida  (Read 7019 times)

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
Lamb Hass in So. Florida
« on: April 17, 2013, 06:44:06 PM »
I need to share my excitement about the possibilities of this cultivar doing well in So. Florida. At least for the homeowner. For those planing home avocado planting this may be worth waiting for. i'm very excided at the possibilities. Yes I know, I get excited about avocados news, what do you want me to do!!

http://www.myavocadotrees.com/lamb-hass-avocado.html
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Re: Lamb Hass in So. Florida
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 06:59:21 PM »
I need to share my excitement about the possibilities of this cultivar doing well in So. Florida. At least for the homeowner. For those planing home avocado planting this may be worth waiting for. i'm very excided at the possibilities. Yes I know, I get excited about avocados news, what do you want me to do!!

Excellent Carlos! You are about 4 months away from your first Florida Lamb Hass.....a month ahead of us. These are very good to excellent avocados.

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 07:03:22 PM »
Nice!  :)
Alexi

cuban007

• AZUCAR!!!
  • Cuida la naturaleza y la naturaleza te cuidara'
    • SoCal, The IE, Zone 9b/SoFla, The Redlands, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 07:19:16 PM »
Carlos, great website. Maybe one day you can find the passion for mangoes and make a section for mangoes as well. Keep up the good work. By the way, I think I saw that peacock the last time I was at your place. I saw the Lamb Hass here at Maddock's Nursery and they were coming along quite nicely.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 07:21:09 PM »
WHOO HOO!!

ur awesome!! Cookie Monster might be begging for budwood soon :-) can't tell you how much I miss my california avocadoes. so glad that someone is finally doing experimentation here in FL. I don't like west indian watercadoes :-(
Jeff  :-)

intel415

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 07:21:55 PM »
Seems like lamb hass is a heaver producer. I just visited my local nursery, saw a 15g man the 5ft tree is loaded with small fruits already. I should have bought a 15 gallons instead of 5g.

FRUITBOXHERO

• Coral Springs Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 08:12:35 PM »
awesome Carlos! Great job
Joe

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 08:17:50 PM »
 Thank you guys. Lets hope it survives the summer.
California guys when do you think I should pick the first?
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 08:20:02 PM »
Carlos, great website. Maybe one day you can find the passion for mangoes and make a section for mangoes as well. Keep up the good work. By the way, I think I saw that peacock the last time I was at your place. I saw the Lamb Hass here at Maddock's Nursery and they were coming along quite nicely.

Nah, stick with avocados, Carlos.  We need you there.  They're are plenty of others experimenting with mangos.  A green salad without avocado is a naked salad!
John

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 08:23:48 PM »
Carlos, just want to say your entire website is looking good. Well laid out. Informative. Many photos and youtube videos. Few months ago I planted a Monroe avocado mostly because what you had to say about it.

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2013, 09:45:09 PM »

Excellent Carlos! You are about 4 months away from your first Florida Lamb Hass.....a month ahead of us. These are very good to excellent avocados.

JF do you think these will be ready in the middle of August in So. Florida?
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2013, 10:51:42 PM »
This really is some excellent news.  The Brokaw's are your best resource for lamb hass culture IMO.  http://www.brokawnursery.com/varieties-blog/avocado.html

June - Dec. for them.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 10:53:44 PM by Mark in Texas »

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2013, 12:12:29 AM »

JF do you think these will be ready in the middle of August in So. Florida?

Your best info for your Lamb Hass is here in Socal with Julie and Isabel. Lamb Hass starts in Sept. but remember you harvest them when they become black. I predict your Lamb will be ready by early Aug.

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2013, 02:40:18 AM »
Good news Carlos.

I also like the way your web page is organized, each variety has its own "blog" with updates, pictures etc.  plus your willing to experiment and share your experiences, is invaluable.    Thank you.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2013, 08:47:38 AM »
WHOO HOO!!

ur awesome!! Cookie Monster might be begging for budwood soon :-) can't tell you how much I miss my california avocadoes. so glad that someone is finally doing experimentation here in FL. I don't like west indian watercadoes :-(

I agree! Great news for us Gucamole lovers here in South Florida. 

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2013, 09:02:39 AM »
In my favorite book on the subject, "Avocado: Botany, Production and Uses"  it has several things to say about the Lamb Hass under the section of Achievements - "....is another product of the California avocado breeding programme.  It is a 'Hass' - like cultivar which produces 50% more fruits  compared to a 'Hass' tree of similar age and growing conditions.  It is a precocious bearer, which hold fruits very late in the season even in fierce wind conditions."

There is  a section on high density planting of Lamb in this book, like 6' apart in the rows and the photos shown are amazing.  Here's Lamb trees that can't be more than 4 - 5' tall just LOADED with gorgeous fruit.   I asked Rob Brokaw about the tree size reported to be smaller than Hass.  He replied that in his orchards it's not much smaller.

Yep, Carlos is a wonderful sharing person who will revolutionize the Florida industry IMO with his well thought out and presented experiments.

Mark
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 11:38:41 AM by Mark in Texas »

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2013, 10:46:53 AM »
Your site is fantastic. What you're doing is invaluable!
Jeff  :-)

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2013, 12:56:30 PM »
In my favorite book on the subject, "Avocado: Botany, Production and Uses"  it has several things to say about the Lamb Hass under the section of Achievements - "....is another product of the California avocado breeding programme.  It is a 'Hass' - like cultivar which produces 50% more fruits  compared to a 'Hass' tree of similar age and growing conditions.  It is a precocious bearer, which hold fruits very late in the season even in fierce wind conditions."

There is  a section on high density planting of Lamb in this book, like 6' apart in the rows and the photos shown are amazing.  Here's Lamb trees that can't be more than 4 - 5' tall just LOADED with gorgeous fruit.   I asked Rob Brokaw about the tree size reported to be smaller than Hass.  He replied that in his orchards it's not much smaller.

Yep, Carlos is a wonderful sharing person who will revolutionize the Florida industry IMO with his well thought out and presented experiments.

Mark

Not true....Not what i've observe in the field. The L.Hass is vigorous and has an upright spreading growing habit. These were on G-6 Topa rootstock. Hass is a heavier producer. I have send pics to Carlos of the impressive tress.

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2013, 12:58:52 PM »
It is  a producer for sure. I had one in a 7 gal pot at home next to a Mexicola and I had to remove at least 40 fruit. Now, let's see how it works grafted on to a mature WI tree. I do like the comment from Mark in  Texas about the high density planting. Would work for the homeowner with little space and also for the commercial grower.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2013, 01:04:47 PM »
It is  a producer for sure. I had one in a 7 gal pot at home next to a Mexicola and I had to remove at least 40 fruit. Now, let's see how it works grafted on to a mature WI tree. I do like the comment from Mark in  Texas about the high density planting. Would work for the homeowner with little space and also for the commercial grower.

That is true. The field pictures show then in a slope high density planing. L.Hass harvest begins when Hass finishes in Sept.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2013, 02:41:48 PM »

That is true. The field pictures show then in a slope high density planing. L.Hass harvest begins when Hass finishes in Sept.

So you saw the photos too?   Doesn't make sense to me that a tree with a large spreading habit is planted on top of each other and loaded with what looks like 50 beautiful fruit per tree.   It's the section on high density plantings, not necessarily on Lamb Hass.

With Carlos putting it on WI rootstock this really should be interesting.  I can't think of a more perfect combo if you have hard water and/or calcareous soil.....that is if it makes it thru the Miami summer heat.   
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 02:45:05 PM by Mark in Texas »

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2013, 03:08:33 PM »

So you saw the photos too?   Doesn't make sense to me that a tree with a large spreading habit is planted on top of each other and loaded with what looks like 50 beautiful fruit per tree.   It's the section on high density plantings, not necessarily on Lamb Hass.

With Carlos putting it on WI rootstock this really should be interesting.  I can't think of a more perfect combo if you have hard water and/or calcareous soil.....that is if it makes it thru the Miami summer heat.

No, those are pics I took in the field not from an encyclopedia or Wikipedia. I will post them later.

I can't wait for for Carlos results.....very interesting indeed.

ofdsurfer

• Melbourne Beach FL 32951 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2014, 08:25:09 AM »
Carlos,
How are the lamb hass doing this year?  Any updates?
Thanks

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk