Author Topic: WTB pearl guava  (Read 2679 times)

chrisafix23

• Roseville, California Zones 9b
    • View Profile
WTB pearl guava
« on: July 28, 2022, 04:25:31 PM »
Hello, I am looking to buy a Taiwanese Pearl guava plant. I heard this variety is the sweetest of the Taiwanese guavas. Any help is appreciated!

hammer524

• USA, Arizona, Phoenix, 9B
    • View Profile
Re: WTB pearl guava
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2022, 04:28:10 PM »
same, small baby one got neglected and died this summer  :'(

greenerpasteur

• San Gabriel Valley, 10B, atemoya, wax jambu, seedless guava, mango, sapodilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2022, 07:30:25 PM »
I have one currently fruiting. It's pretty productive compared to all my seedless guava. I think I have over 3-4 dozen fruits. I might be able to airlayer next year if you are still looking.

If you are local in SGV, I can give you scions for free.

chrisafix23

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2022, 09:53:05 PM »
GreenerPasteur, sadly,  I am not near that area. I am up in Northern California. But I am interested in an air layer.
Wow it sounds like it’s very productive. How is the taste?

Hammer524, I think all of us have been guilty of killing one plant or another lol.

greenerpasteur

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2022, 01:17:53 PM »
It only have 2 fruits last year. It's sweet and a little crunchy.

I probably don't have any conclusion to the taste until I tried more this year especially with proper fertilizing. The guy who I bought grow over 20+ guava variety, and he recommend this to me for its productivity and taste.

I have a Taiwanese seedless and it's the least productive guava I've had. Not even one fruit for a 15 gallon tree.

chrisafix23

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2023, 12:58:15 AM »
It only have 2 fruits last year. It's sweet and a little crunchy.

I probably don't have any conclusion to the taste until I tried more this year especially with proper fertilizing. The guy who I bought grow over 20+ guava variety, and he recommend this to me for its productivity and taste.

I have a Taiwanese seedless and it's the least productive guava I've had. Not even one fruit for a 15 gallon tree.

I was wondering if you had an update on the fruit of the pearl guava. Would it be possible to buy some scion wood from you?

greenerpasteur

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2023, 09:00:36 PM »
Here is a picture of my Pearl guava.

Some of the fruits are seedless probably due to seedless variety I have pollinating it.

It's crunchy, and full of flavor - sweet (6-7/10) and tart. My friend who tried it think it's better than Thai guava which I thought it's really good already. It's better than Vietnamese variety Xa Li. Compared to Taiwanese seedless guava, it's not as crunchy or dense, but it's more productive, easier to set fruit and pretty flavorful.

I got some late season guava and it still taste pretty good even with all the rain we been having.

PM me. $4/scion & 5 min.

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2023, 11:08:40 PM »
Hi greenerpasteur,

The picture is crystal seedless guava for me not Pearl guava.  Pearl guava have seeds.

Thanks,
Al

greenerpasteur

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2023, 09:53:40 AM »
Hi greenerpasteur,

The picture is crystal seedless guava for me not Pearl guava.  Pearl guava have seeds.

Thanks,
Al

These normally have seeds. It get hybridized by seedless guava I have growing. My seedless collection easily outnumbered 5:1.
I've also tried crystal guava before and it's not completely seedless. It still has a few seeds and crisper, denser but not as flavorful.

The Taiwanese man that collect over 15 guavas variety is where I bought it from. He also has crystal guavas. I'm pretty confident that I have pearl guava

I'm actually grafting Crystal guava from a friend since I don't have one

greenerpasteur

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2023, 04:26:25 PM »
I'm no longer accepting anymore scions request.

I'll cut tomorrow morning with +1 scion, wrap the end, damp paper towel in a zip lock bag and ship it via USPS flat rate envelope with tracking info tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone who are interested in the scions.

GrowerA

• Zone9
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2023, 04:47:34 PM »
Fruit with leaves, measuring tapes on the left is the Taiwanese pearl guava crunchy white flesh seeded. Good strong flavor. I have not tried all of the Taiwanese guava, so I cannot tell you if Pearl guava is the sweetest of all Taiwanese guavas. I have Crystal Guava seedless white flesh also Taiwanese guava variety ( not show in photo ). The Pearl guava that this point of time tasted better.  They all have sweet and sour mix tastes. Fruits on the right is Vietnamese crunchy white flesh seeded guava , good strong flavor. This one is sweeter than Pear guava. All have sweet and sour balance.  Smallest fruits on the right in photo is the pink flesh seeded semi soft flesh is the sweetest of all.

I am growing them in San Jose, CA. Somewhat similar growing zone to your.

I may only have 1 of each tree that I air layered last year and potted many months ago.  You can pick up in San Jose 95122 or I can ship.

You can message me  at  PlantthatPlant@outlook.com

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2023, 06:16:56 PM »
greenerpasteur, thank you for the scionwood.

greenerpasteur

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2023, 09:47:16 PM »

You are welcome. I'm top working my pearl guava and graft this variety - Thai ruby seedless guava. I'll be making 3 airlayer if anyone want it. Should be available in 4-6 months for $40-60 in 7g to 10/15g.

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2023, 12:18:13 AM »
Hi greenerpasteur,

Put me in the list for one of the Thai ruby seedless guava.

Thanks,
Al

Tinner

• Orange County, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2023, 03:06:09 AM »

You are welcome. I'm top working my pearl guava and graft this variety - Thai ruby seedless guava. I'll be making 3 airlayer if anyone want it. Should be available in 4-6 months for $40-60 in 7g to 10/15g.

Can I be on this list for one of your airlayers?  Thanks.

greenerpasteur

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2023, 10:14:41 AM »
Hi greenerpasteur,

Thanks,
Al

It's for Pearl Guava. I don't have a big enough Thai ruby seedless guava to airlayer thus I'm grafting more

tomo

• SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2023, 11:37:50 AM »
I would also like to be on the waitlist for a Pearl Guava, if there is a spot available.

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2023, 11:52:47 AM »
Hi greenerpasteur,

Thanks,
Al

It's for Pearl Guava. I don't have a big enough Thai ruby seedless guava to airlayer thus I'm grafting more

I have a Pearl guava tree already.  Thanks...

chrisafix23

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2023, 12:51:45 PM »

What made you decide to top work to this variety? How does it compare to other guavas? I've never heard of this variety. Very Interesting. Also, I received your scions. Thanks. Let's hope they survive my poor grafting skills ha!

greenerpasteur

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2023, 12:56:44 PM »

What made you decide to top work to this variety? How does it compare to other guavas? I've never heard of this variety. Very Interesting. Also, I received your scions. Thanks. Let's hope they survive my poor grafting skills ha!

It's the hottest seedless guava right now. All the review has been positive - seedless, ruby, productive and low maintenance. It's crunchy, sweet and tart. It has alot of variety Asian prefer.
It's also very expensive. Small twig is $100 and 25 gal is a couple thousands.

I got some pearl guava. It's smaller than usual probably because of our weird weather and I airlayer alot of branches. It's seedless two years in a row.

I also have 3 airlayer if anyone to buy it.  One has been potted for a month and the other two are recently cut down.

hammer524

• USA, Arizona, Phoenix, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2023, 01:01:53 PM »

It's the hottest seedless guava right now. All the review has been positive - seedless, ruby, productive and low maintenance. It's crunchy, sweet and tart. It has alot of variety Asian prefer.

I got some pearl guava. It's smaller than usual probably because of our weird weather and I airlayer alot of branches. It's seedless two years in a row.

I also have 3 airlayer if anyone to buy it.  One has been potted for a month and the other two are recently cut down.

I'd be interested in a pearl guava if you're selling one. If you dont ship i could pick it up in 2 weeks. driving out that way

chrisafix23

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2023, 05:16:56 PM »

Greenerpasteur, my grafts sadly didn’t take. I’ll take one of the pearl guava air layers if you have any extra.

greenerpasteur

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2023, 07:56:48 PM »

Greenerpasteur, my grafts sadly didn’t take. I’ll take one of the pearl guava air layers if you have any extra.

I have extra, but the tree is big and I don't want to ship. Let me know if you are in Los Angeles.

chrisafix23

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2023, 11:13:58 PM »
Sadly, I’m not near so cal. One day I’ll make the move down to so cal so I can be in reach of all these plants.

greenerpasteur

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2023, 12:05:58 PM »
Thanks for everyone interest. It's completely sold out. I'm growing and grafting seedless guava - Thai ruby seedless guava, Taiwanese ruby seedless guava (Ruby Crystal), Thai seedless guava, Crystal. Hopefully next Spring I have some to share.