Temperate Fruit & Orchards > Temperate Fruit Buy, Sell, & Trade

Texas persimmon seeds

<< < (2/4) > >>

FloridaManDan:
@CarolinaZone honestly I would just start reaching out to all the nurseries that have them available in the southwest and see if they'll sell cuttings, bound to be one with pictures of their fruit. I do wish this was a more popular and readily available plant.

D-Grower:
I have 3 small ones growing out. Gonna be awhile before fruit though. I want them mostly to sell in my nursery. I'd like to see this species more available too. Really cool native fruit. Definitely want to try some myself. I really like American persimmon fruit. Just have to eat them when fully ripe.

Pokeweed:
They are really slow growers. I have a male that's about 15 years old and was probably 9 when it started flowering. I have a female that has been flowering a couple of years now but no fruit yet.

FloridaManDan:
When yall get fruits in 5-10 years hit ya boy up  8)

Its a shame that Chocolate sapote doesnt grow that far north, definitely my favorite of all the persimmons. If all my recent grafts hadn't failed, I would've loved to trial one in Houston.

drymifolia:
It's not an affordable bulk price, but I was very happy with the seeds I got last year from BlueGenesStudio on Etsy, nearly 100% germination. They are definitely slow growing trees, though! Here's the largest one about 11 months from when it sprouted:

--- Quote from: FloridaManDan on July 29, 2023, 12:16:54 PM ---When yall get fruits in 5-10 years hit ya boy up  8)

Its a shame that Chocolate sapote doesnt grow that far north, definitely my favorite of all the persimmons. If all my recent grafts hadn't failed, I would've loved to trial one in Houston.

--- End quote ---

My main interest in growing Diospyros texana is to see if it can cross with Diospyros digyna, if that's the fruit you mean (usually I've heard it called black sapote). Their native range is not quite overlapping, and they are both diploid, and I've not been able to find any report of anyone trying to cross them. It is possible no one has? I'm hoping their geographic separation is the only thing that kept them from naturally hybridizing.

I also got a box of fruit from MarkInTexas last year, I wasn't a huge fan, but they were likely picked a little early. I don't think he's active on here anymore, but if you know how to get in touch with him he'd probably send a box. He hates the fruit and wants to send it to people so they will also hate it instead of hyping it .

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version