Author Topic: Seed Drop: Amazonas, Pouteria, Theobroma, Plinia, and a bunch of other goodies  (Read 2813 times)

SouthBayHapaJoe

• View Profile
Seeds have arrived, cleaned and processed. Duguetia stenantha is STILL my favorite fruit! It also was the clear winner for all four of us on our last expedition. We also found out that the Huitito indigenous community is establishing a farm to cultivate this species. The Huitito told us they fruit between 5 to 7 years! The goal of most of my expeditions is to find Duguetia and this is the best tasting of them so far. The carpals without seeds are dense candy corn consistency with Melon, brown sugar and praline undertones. I could eat these all day.
I was able to source many and offering at a crazy good price $6 and looking for a farm to cultivate these.... any takers?

Www.Hapajoesnursery.com

"PahWay" orange fruit... still don't have an ID.

Pourouma cecropiifolia Amazon grape, Amazon tree-grape

Pouteria sp Amazonas Lucuma
Pouteria sp Abiu Carambola

Pouteria sp Abiu Pera

Campomanesia lineatfolia "Pallilo"

Plinia clausa "Anihuayo"

Annona edulis

Annona mucosa "Biriba" Amazonas Giants

Onychopetalum periquino "Envira Caju" Preta
Onychopetalum periquino "Envira Caju" Vermelha

Theobroma subincannum "Cupui"
Theobroma obovatum This one is Wow!

Shovel n Seed

• Trenton, FL 9a
    • View Profile
Heck yeah!  Can't wait. Already placed my order!

Surfmatt

• FL
    • View Profile
Just picked some stuff up. Joe always has the goods!

Timbogrow

• Naples, FL 10b
    • View Profile
Wow, if that price rises another cent I'll be doing vacationing for seeds to sell as well.

SouthBayHapaJoe

• View Profile
Ok all prices raised 1 cent.   8) Please do! I love when people think it’s an easy way to make money. It would make for a cool vacation if you like hiking 90 degrees and 100 percent humidity in the Amazon covered in deet wearing long sleeve shirts and pants 7 to 8 hours a day searching for fruit. Not to mention a foreign country where we need to hire a translator to talk to locals. I don’t speak Tikuna…. Do you? The places we camped had no running water or electricity. Still sound like fun? After a long days hike then come home and clean seeds for 2 hours in the dark! Fun vacation stuff! If this sounds like a vacation then we need more people like you and and I’ll even invite you on my next expedition! Oh and you need your yellow vaccine to travel where I go. It’s mandatory and make sure you have a malaria precaution plan.

Thank you for allowing to me to explain My pricing and why the price will only RISE with further seeds drops as the quality of my offerings gets better and better. I learn and change my seed storage procedure every new drop. Always trying to improve and the last couple seed drop have very high germination rates.

I hire local guides to take me into the jungle. Most of these fruit are not found at the market. If I found them at the market then they are priced accordingly.  I took two fruit experts last trip and they didn’t spot  anything. ;) I’ll even happily give you all the gps locations I marked. You can go go back and get all the same fruits and seeds except you need to go at the same time next year as  Amazon fruits only stay in season for Around 3 weeks then it’s a new fruit crop. . So all the fruit we found are probably no longer available. I went last year in May and got completely different fruit.  And all my Tikuna indigenous guides (make sure you tip them as much as I did because they are amazing people and deserve it). I don’t try and get the cheapest possible seeds. I am trying to build a community of explorers to build value to the community. Maybe if we show locals that there is value in these trees as opposed to trying to get the seeds at the cheapest possible price and “take” from the locals, then we can actually have something sustainable. if we want them to preserve nature then the people with money need to fund it instead of whining about 1 dollar more for a seed.

Also my seeds are 100 percent true because I collected, cleaned, inspected, and never left my sight. Not sure if any other seed provider in the USA can say that. Maybe you Shiloh and palologrower haha.  But if none of that is important to you then please buy seeds from someone else.  I am almost sold out of many species and almost all my customers are repeat customers ;)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2023, 08:07:45 AM by SouthBayHapaJoe »

Shovel n Seed

• Trenton, FL 9a
    • View Profile
Keeping doing what you do Hapa Joe!

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
SouthBayHapaJoe, one thing that might be helpful in your great descriptions would be tree size, if known. With space always being at a premium, one of the first things I look for is tree size when reading about fruit trees (also frost/freeze tolerance). Do you happen to know the tree size of all the Pouteria species you encountered? Obviously soil and growing conditions affect size, but having a sense of potential size would, I think, be helpful. Thanks!

Giant Gecko

• USA,NC,Welcome,7
    • View Profile
Wow amazing expedition Joe. Duguetia stenantha seed at $6 is an incredible deal. I wish I had some ideal land to cultivate that species. Sounds like it fruits fast enough that a variety with even less seeds can be selected for the next generations.

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
Yes Joe! Keep up the good works with the right vibez.
Real talk. Not everyone love’s bushwacking and lack of creature comforts.
If your not in humble appreciation of the locals and instead treat people like your valet at the four seasons you should get spit out and rejected from a place , there are various manners.
Being guided by locals through their homelands and trying to make money off their native plants, that is not going to please anyone. Indigenous folks have nuff awareness of the conquistador mentality of come and take and not give thanks.
 Hey I wonder whatever happened to the guy that was auctioning germinated seeds for $200-$300 a piece and asked you to pay a flat rate for the right to be in the special whale club to bid on his private auction?
Maximum respect out to Joe.

Giant Gecko

• USA,NC,Welcome,7
    • View Profile
Yes Joe! Keep up the good works with the right vibez.
Real talk. Not everyone love’s bushwacking and lack of creature comforts.
If your not in humble appreciation of the locals and instead treat people like your valet at the four seasons you should get spit out and rejected from a place , there are various manners.
Being guided by locals through their homelands and trying to make money off their native plants, that is not going to please anyone. Indigenous folks have nuff awareness of the conquistador mentality of come and take and not give thanks.
 Hey I wonder whatever happened to the guy that was auctioning germinated seeds for $200-$300 a piece and asked you to pay a flat rate for the right to be in the special whale club to bid on his private auction?
Maximum respect out to Joe.

Love him or hate him if it wasn’t for that guy we might not have the 4 or so great seed sources we have now in the USA. Do you know how much he gave back to the community where he collected the seeds? Let us know if you do. From what I have read on Facebook seems like most of the collectors down there in Brazil respect him.

Timbogrow

• Naples, FL 10b
    • View Profile
 I don't need seed sales to survive on a vacation and bring back what I want. It's only been 7 years since I took one anyway lol. I saw 1 seed of yours went up 5$. That's quite drastic if you ask me, not 1 cent. From15-20 is an additional 33% onto original price. All is good not trying to rustle your feathers but if you keep hiking the price up and up others will step in and you'll lose that high number and the sales. 2c

SouthBayHapaJoe

• View Profile
Lol. I didn’t raise any prices. It was a joke. However if you let me know your real name instead of hiding behind a screen name I will happily raise prices just for you. I also don’t need seed sales to survive in a vacation. It’s my job and it pays for the food in my families mouth. This isn’t a hobby for me.
But you clearly didn’t read my response and here just to troll. Since I don’t know who you are, your contributions to this community have been limited so I don’t need to waste my time with further correspondence. You didn’t ruffle my feathers… my friends and I have had a good chuckle at you “couch explorers” who need to comment on things they know nothing about.
I didn’t raise any prices and only advertised here on TFF and for those that signed up on my website. Already more than half sold out of the seeds I am allocating for sales and haven’t even posted on Facebook yet. Thanks for your business advice. I will let my quality and reputation speak for themselves. Have you actually ever bought anything from me?

Timbogrow

• Naples, FL 10b
    • View Profile
Whoa, sounds like you got completely rustled dude! No way I did that alone. What a classy individual you are provoking fights with customers over a price hike comment. I did make numerous purchases from you but won't be donating the small price for seeds to you any more slaphappyjoe. 😉 a troll you call me for browsing the for sale adds. I think your a greedy, pathetic, ill mannered loser that sounds like you've had too much steroids providing fights over the internet. That's a troll bubba.

SouthBayHapaJoe

• View Profile
Fliptop, good point and I struggle with what information to put. Some of the dwarf cerrado species we found can grow into larger bushes and trees with optimal growing conditions. I've seen "dwarf" cerrado species grow quite large in ground at growers in Sao Paulo.
From my experience both Annona and Myrtaceae can be kept and fruited in pots. With proper growing medium and pruning, many trees will fruit in 5 to 25 gallon pots.
Duguetia except for stenantha have all been bush like which is why I am very excited about this family.

With many of these species have never been grown before, it's hard to tell how they will perform here. Almost every fruit tree in the Amazon was a huge tree, however the Amazon is 365 growing environment. Those trees that can survive our winter are sure to have much less growth.

The Pouteria family have all been trees. I am hoping to be able to prune and keep in pot but I am early in my experiments. Feel free to hit me up and ask questions.

Bush2Beach

• View Profile
I don’t really feel a way about Sellami. I liked his ethos and what he was doing when he popped on the scene, if anything. I think he got in over his head on multiple fronts and taking payments and not sending orders for months. When the whales started eating , he saw the $$$& & tried to chase it harder with the whole pay to play to be a part of his super special seed friends club.
I think some locals with internet saw the price he was getting for a single seed and perhaps felt undercut or taken advantage of, I don’t know.

What I do know is he had to skedaddle Brazil post haste to save his ass one way or the other.
Always glad to have more quality rare seed sellers  and folks sharing the rare species around.

Same as Saffron man did with the Jabo’s ( love him or hate him) , there’s now several “boutique” Jabo nurseries. Ego and/or $$ got ahold of him for a spell also.

Love him or hate him if it wasn’t for that guy we might not have the 4 or so great seed sources we have now in the USA. Do you know how much he gave back to the community where he collected the seeds? Let us know if you do. From what I have read on Facebook seems like most of the collectors down there in Brazil respect him.
[/quote]

Timbogrow

• Naples, FL 10b
    • View Profile
My mistake on the price, you were just 33% higher priced than the other 2 sellers and didn't buy that from you. Now I have a good idea why not to fund your expeditions. The ego and rotten attitude towards clients. I don't want to sell seeds and be competing for $20s when my minimum sale is $700 all the way up to $24k. I have 0 intention to be in your trade. I just need a vacation. You really have mastered the obvious though, I still can't figure out how you knew I was hiding behind a screen? Is it the fact that it's the internet and not reality Joe? Or was that just a terrible attempt at insulting me? I don't have Facebook, snapchat, Twitter and all that crap. I don't advertise or go on any other platforms.

FloridaManDan

• Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
Thank you Timbogrow for your wonderful contribution to this thread and community, I would like to present you with the Boomer of the Year award for your work on exposing the legendary and respected Hapa Joe. Good job on being a master salesman too, 24K-- that's like a billion right? Impressive. Take notes, Joe!

I couldn't imagine how undeveloped my understanding of tropical fruits would be without your negativity and complaints rampant throughout this forum.

Nayelie321

• In California most of the time.
    • California
    • View Profile
Ive bought from several sellers on this forum since 2015(had an older account lost pw). I can sincerely say that Hapajoe has reasonable prices and super quality. I remember how hard it was to get duguetia seeds in late 2010's. You would have to cough up $10, 15 or even 25 for a single old seeds thst wouldnt germinated even after GA3 treatment. $6 is a great deal. Other seeds lile the Theobromas he has for $15 and 8 are good deals too. The theobroma silvestre he has for sale $8 a germinated seed is a steal. Ive never seen anyone offer thst species at all. I will say some times it may seem a bit high but he is sourcing it personalky from South America and bringing them into the US on record time. Freshness justifies it in my eyes. Plus most of the old sellers have long stopped so I appreciate anyone who continues supplying us collectors with these rare gems. Plus eventually someone is going to fruit these things and offer the seeds at a cheaper price so you can wait. That is what i did and still do with certain species. Joe Hewitt in Hawaii might be a source eventually(im sure he gets stuff from hapajoe too).

Giant Gecko

• USA,NC,Welcome,7
    • View Profile
You have been holding on to those images since 2020, sounds like you have it out for him or just jealous, either way just let it go. We were the ones bringing the price up by bidding them up. He didn’t do that. At the time the supply was low and demand was high during a time people were using their stimulus $. We didn’t know that the flow of seeds from Brazil was going flow more or completely shut off. We just need to enjoy this good time we’re having now and make the best of it because who knows when it will shut off again. Life’s too short to fussing about seed prices when nobody is forcing someone to buy.

I don’t really feel a way about Sellami. I liked his ethos and what he was doing when he popped on the scene, if anything. I think he got in over his head on multiple fronts and taking payments and not sending orders for months. When the whales started eating , he saw the $$$& & tried to chase it harder with the whole pay to play to be a part of his super special seed friends club.
I think some locals with internet saw the price he was getting for a single seed and perhaps felt undercut or taken advantage of, I don’t know.

What I do know is he had to skedaddle Brazil post haste to save his ass one way or the other.
Always glad to have more quality rare seed sellers  and folks sharing the rare species around.

Same as Saffron man did with the Jabo’s ( love him or hate him) , there’s now several “boutique” Jabo nurseries. Ego and/or $$ got ahold of him for a spell also.

[/quote]

Giant Gecko

• USA,NC,Welcome,7
    • View Profile
Ive bought from several sellers on this forum since 2015(had an older account lost pw). I can sincerely say that Hapajoe has reasonable prices and super quality. I remember how hard it was to get duguetia seeds in late 2010's. You would have to cough up $10, 15 or even 25 for a single old seeds thst wouldnt germinated even after GA3 treatment. $6 is a great deal. Other seeds lile the Theobromas he has for $15 and 8 are good deals too. The theobroma silvestre he has for sale $8 a germinated seed is a steal. Ive never seen anyone offer thst species at all. I will say some times it may seem a bit high but he is sourcing it personalky from South America and bringing them into the US on record time. Freshness justifies it in my eyes. Plus most of the old sellers have long stopped so I appreciate anyone who continues supplying us collectors with these rare gems. Plus eventually someone is going to fruit these things and offer the seeds at a cheaper price so you can wait. That is what i did and still do with certain species. Joe Hewitt in Hawaii might be a source eventually(im sure he gets stuff from hapajoe too).

You are absolutely spot on!!! Nothing is worse than buying even cheap seeds and finding out the hard way months later that they were old with 0% germination.

Timbogrow

• Naples, FL 10b
    • View Profile
Thank you Timbogrow for your wonderful contribution to this thread and community, I would like to present you with the Boomer of the Year award for your work on exposing the legendary and respected Hapa Joe. Good job on being a master salesman too, 24K-- that's like a billion right? Impressive. Take notes, Joe!

I couldn't imagine how undeveloped my understanding of tropical fruits would be without your negativity and complaints rampant throughout this forum.
Your welcome Dan! Whatever you say. One might see it as a complaint but others might see them as truths. When you associate derogatory names to people expect an equal responce from me. I wrote 17 words in the first post without using g any derogatory names associated with members. I received quite a few, so I don't really care what your opinion is.

hammer524

• USA, Arizona, Phoenix, 9B
    • View Profile

Your welcome Dan! Whatever you say. One might see it as a complaint but others might see them as truths. When you associate derogatory names to people expect an equal responce from me. I wrote 17 words in the first post without using g any derogatory names associated with members. I received quite a few, so I don't really care what your opinion is.

When did "Boomer" become a derogatory slur?

Bush2Beach

• View Profile
I have way older screen shots than 2020. Like I said , I don’t fee a way about Sellami.
If I see something that is funny, bragaocious net hype, an ego-maniacal flash out  or whatever strikes my fancy. I take a picture of it. I had never seen a single seed priced for $330 before and I correctly assumed some friends would get a kick out of the fact pokemon dorks are spending a chunk of change on some bird food that probably won’t survive in their location.
Remember when FFF showed his ass and turned into a jealous ego maniacal dick? It happened , indisputably. I am glad he is skating through it with physical exercise , a healthy way to express oneself. That was more sad than funny. It is what it is. It’s hard to fight down the truth, despite the best efforts of some that do.
I am laughing and smiling at all sorts of things in life I find funny.
I don’t begrudge him or really give 2 shits.
Just running a tounge in cheek comedy in my mind and inna real life.
Not to worry though, self deprication and willingness to laugh at myself and realize the countless mistakes I have made is first and foremost.
I am highly aware most people don’t think it’s funny or try to listen or understand.
I have a few good friends that get it a little bit at least. I am sure you know it takes way more muscles and effort to frown and be pissed than smile and laugh.

You have been holding on to those images since 2020, sounds like you have it out for him or just jealous, either way just let it go. We were the ones bringing the price up by bidding them up. He didn’t do that. At the time the supply was low and demand was high during a time people were using their stimulus $. We didn’t know that the flow of seeds from Brazil was going flow more or completely shut off. We just need to enjoy this good time we’re having now and make the best of it because who knows when it will shut off again. Life’s too short to fussing about seed prices when nobody is forcing someone to buy.

[/quote]
« Last Edit: February 06, 2023, 01:39:23 PM by Bush2Beach »

ucf.nikolas

• enjoy life :)
    • Broward, 10b
    • View Profile
Whoa, sounds like you got completely rustled dude! No way I did that alone. What a classy individual you are provoking fights with customers over a price hike comment. I did make numerous purchases from you but won't be donating the small price for seeds to you any more slaphappyjoe. 😉 a troll you call me for browsing the for sale adds. I think your a greedy, pathetic, ill mannered loser that sounds like you've had too much steroids providing fights over the internet. That's a troll bubba.

Look Tim, we understand you have quite an ego to make such disrespectful comments to someone you don't know... Imagine someone talking like that to your children. This website was created to help and support other growers that enjoy rare fruits from around the globe. Why do you enjoy tearing someone down that's providing services not many others are willing to provide? If you're that upset, just don't buy from him and take your wallet somewhere else. It's really not that hard.

As a college student studying biology/psychology, childish behavior like that of what you're displaying shows clear trauma in your past. Unfortunately, the world has no way to apologize to you for those who wronged you in the past. I hope you seek therapy or someone to talk to; internal frustration to the degree you're feeling is unhealthy. Search for peace <3

Epiphyte

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
    • Epiphytes and Economics
Wow, if that price rises another cent I'll be doing vacationing for seeds to sell as well.
When by an increase in the effectual demand, the market price of some particular commodity happens to rise a good deal above the natural price, those who employ their stocks in supplying that market are generally careful to conceal this change. If it was commonly known, their great profit would tempt so many new rivals to employ their stocks in the same way, that, the effectual demand being fully supplied, the market price would soon be reduced to the natural price, and perhaps for some time even below it.  - Adam Smith, Wealth of Nations

The system of free competition is a rather peculiar one. Its mechanism is one of fooling entrepreneurs. It requires the pursuit of maximum profit in order to function, but it destroys profits when they are actually pursued by a larger number of people. - Oskar Lange, On the Economic Theory of Socialism: Part Two

without the feedback of prices and profits, how would suppliers know when consumers have "enough" duguetia seeds?

another very important form of feedback is nonverbal communication.  this form of feedback is missing from online forums.  the result?  misunderstandings.

i was lucky to visit joe and can vouch that he's super nice in person.  i spent $40 for 2 seeds of eugenia tinctoria, which i'm sure is the most i've ever spent on a single seed in my life.  they recently sprouted so i'm very happy about that.  it's just incredible that joe facilitates introductions of so many hidden treasures.  hopefully he will make enough money to continue doing so.