Author Topic: Garcinia sp Brazilian cherapu  (Read 716 times)

Thefatcuban

• Atlanta, 7b
    • View Profile
Garcinia sp Brazilian cherapu
« on: April 18, 2023, 10:01:05 PM »
Not much info on this one, curious if anybody else is growing this species?

Couple of seeds I have are starting to sprout.

Josh

Tropicaltoba

• Canada, Manitoba, Winnipeg, zone 3
    • View Profile
Re: Garcinia sp Brazilian cherapu
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2023, 07:52:33 AM »
Congrats on even finding seedsI realize that the chance of me ever being able to get this to fruit is next to impossible, but I’ve been looking for seeds for about 4 years. All the online sellers seem to be sold out. Would u be willing to tell us where did u get the seeds?

How many seedlings are you planning on growing? Are you looking for male and female
Plants?

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2023, 08:29:58 AM »
What is the botanical name of the fruit you are talking about?

Thefatcuban

• Atlanta, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2023, 12:45:14 PM »
Congrats on even finding seedsI realize that the chance of me ever being able to get this to fruit is next to impossible, but I’ve been looking for seeds for about 4 years. All the online sellers seem to be sold out. Would u be willing to tell us where did u get the seeds?

How many seedlings are you planning on growing? Are you looking for male and female
Plants?

Yeah this is the first time I've seen seeds sold in about a decade, not easy to find. I bought them from Bellamy he had them for sale not too long ago.

I have 5 seeds only one has leaves so far, it being a new world garcinia it might not be dioecious but I'm not willing to risk that.

What is the botanical name of the fruit you are talking about?

Sorry I've no clue, this is the only name I have seen it referred to as.
https://www.bellamytrees.com/sold-out-species/p/garcinia-sp-nv-brazilian-cherapu?utm_medium=email&utm_source=customer_notification
Josh

Thefatcuban

• Atlanta, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2024, 12:08:26 AM »
Updated photos on some of these at the 1yr mark.

Josh

0hip

• Australia, Townsville, QLD, 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2024, 02:18:01 AM »
nice one. i just planted two seeds i got from anderson tropicals. I could have afforded more but they were $20 US each and never any guarantees that packages arrive in Australia, customs takes alot of them.

Epiphyte

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
    • Epiphytes and Economics
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2024, 02:49:44 AM »
nice one. i just planted two seeds i got from anderson tropicals. I could have afforded more but they were $20 US each and never any guarantees that packages arrive in Australia, customs takes alot of them.

can we at least hope they put them to good use? 

0hip

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2024, 05:36:45 PM »
no they incerate them usally.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2024, 07:06:37 PM »
Customs in Australia are a bit of a cowboy outfit and take liberties with the laws and their interpretations. They go on seizure benders and regardless of whether the rules are followed may seize and destroy without any appeal process. They can decide randomly that any packing material is soil or that the absence of a phyto certificate is grounds for destruction.All well and good for an iron fist with biosecurity if there is consistency.
While mail really hasn't been shown as a source of pests the ports are a different tale. Fire ants, yellow crazy ants, papaya fruit flies, asian honey bees and a thousand other pests stream in through Australian ports. State governments actually encourage the use of some of the world's worst weeds like buffel grass and leucaena. There just is no coherent, sober or coordinated approach to biosecurity.

0hip

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2024, 02:40:08 AM »
i had two packages with phytos go through customs recently. first one there was one sachet of seeds that didnt have a species name and needed to be disposed of so i asked them to dispose of the single packet and they said yes. they read instructions wrong somehow and threw out the entire shipment.

second lot was a replacement for the first but some differences due to seasons and stuff. got to customs and they wanted to fumigate a few seeds and discard some others so i just said discard any that arnt up to standard and send the ones that are. it took them three weeks and by the time they arrive 90% were dead anyway

both times they tried to charge in excess of $400 for their efforts and i told them to get stuffed. first one they graciously wiped the bill because it was their error. yet to head about the second, they offered an 'investigation' but i dont need to investigate why they died after three weeks stuck in customs

better just to try your luck with no declaration

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk