Author Topic: Sugar Apple pest?  (Read 5048 times)

fisherking73

• Hollywood (Broward county), Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Sugar Apple pest?
« on: January 25, 2015, 05:17:58 PM »
So working the yard (new hobby, wife is very confused LOL. Was not into "yardwork" until I came across this site and saw what is possible)  Cleared a few feet more around the mangoes and mulched and recommended by Bullie.  Checking on my sugar apples, and saw this on one of them. Small white things. Did a search for "white stuff on sugar apple tree" lol  and looks to me anyways like mealy bugs? So how do I kill them, are they a danger to my tree, and are they more importantly a danger to my Mangoes. I will rip the sugar apple out in a heart beat if it is. 

Mihavo

• Japan, Hyogo, Kobe
    • View Profile
    • MyThread
Re: Sugar Apple pest?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 05:24:41 PM »
These are pretty easy to beat i believe, You can even remove them with hands if the quantity is small or use a pesticide.
I had these on my citrus mane years ago, i remember using some pesticide and they were gone.

Good luck to your tree.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 06:15:14 PM by Mihavo »
Looking for these fruits ---> http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=13395.msg169502#new

You always hurt the ones you love, also the ones you hate.

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 08:09:26 PM »
Yes they look like mealy bugs. The good news is that they are fairly easy to control and pretty much harmless. 

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 09:07:39 PM »
Hand removal, spraying with water with sufficient pressure gets rid of them initially.  Really just about anything works....neem or other horticultural oil, etc.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

fisherking73

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 10:41:09 AM »
The mealy bug invasion continues on this ONE sugar apple tree. I have done everything recommended, hosed, multiple treatments with neem oil, have brushed them off, and they just keep coming back. This time stronger than ever. Why just this one tree? HOw do I find the source and eradicate it!!!

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 10:45:41 AM »
It's a good thing it's only that 1 tree.  You don't want them spreading to our other trees.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Beni

• Indonesia Rare Fruit
  • Ngabang kabupaten Landak West Borneo
    • West Borneo, Indonesia
    • View Profile
    • beni_prasya@yahoo.co.id
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 10:57:02 AM »
So working the yard (new hobby, wife is very confused LOL. Was not into "yardwork" until I came across this site and saw what is possible)  Cleared a few feet more around the mangoes and mulched and recommended by Bullie.  Checking on my sugar apples, and saw this on one of them. Small white things. Did a search for "white stuff on sugar apple tree" lol  and looks to me anyways like mealy bugs? So how do I kill them, are they a danger to my tree, and are they more importantly a danger to my Mangoes. I will rip the sugar apple out in a heart beat if it is. 

In indonesia, people usually use "Tobacco leaves a water bath". This is traditional metod in my village. You can try it.  ;D
Thanks and Regard
Beni Java Fruit

fisherking73

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2015, 11:57:53 AM »
It's a good thing it's only that 1 tree.  You don't want them spreading to our other trees.

Thats the thing, trying to keep the little buggers from hitting other trees near by.

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2015, 12:30:23 PM »
The mealy bug invasion continues on this ONE sugar apple tree. I have done everything recommended, hosed, multiple treatments with neem oil, have brushed them off, and they just keep coming back. This time stronger than ever. Why just this one tree? HOw do I find the source and eradicate it!!!

Under that tree  ( or surrounding) in the root system should be a colony of black ants farming them.  Kill the ant colony and I have noticed my mealy bug problem declineed 80 % as a black lady bugs take over and keep thing under manage.  I usually set the spray on my water hoose high setting & spray them, the high pressure pop them off if you dont like squashing them.  Organic Pyrethrum Daisy extract diluted spray will wipe them out for a season but wipe out beneficial too!  If you Pyrethrum the ants selectively then your no  blanket approach will mitigate some beneficial like the local black ladybugs from being wipout as they develope their colony to create a balance!😃
The Biggest Fart in the Old West! 68 confirmed killed🔫💀

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2015, 12:42:07 PM »
If you crush the mealy bugs, what color are the "insides" of the bug?
- Rob

fisherking73

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2015, 01:02:14 PM »
A yummy dark yellow, just crushed/brushed all of them off for the umpteenth time.  Sprayed with neem oil early in the AM.  Checked all other trees (mango, avocado, sugar apple, jabo) and not a one. This sugar apple is pretty much dead center to all these trees. Glad they have not spread.

Chandramohan

• India, Kerala, Wynad
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2015, 02:31:10 PM »
In my place mealy bugs are a menace to all Annonas. What I do is use any pesticide diluted and with a little liquid soap added. Liquid soap is required because mealy bugs have a waxy coating which prevents the pesticide from wetting them . As the mealy bugs are farmed by the ants, dusting around the trunk with any ant repellant is a must. Also make sure that none of the branches touch adjacent trees for the ants to bridge. This method has been 100% sucessful!!