Author Topic: White Jaboticaba  (Read 32263 times)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: White Jaboticaba
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2013, 04:40:38 AM »
Kimi I repotted several species of jaboticabas before from starter pots like this.I had almost no casualties and so long as they have warm weather,shade and enouh water they take to their new pots quite well.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2013, 05:07:59 AM »
Looking good, except for the white jabo looks a bit too pale white to me.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2013, 05:32:00 AM »
Oscar they are just young with leaves unfurling jut a few days ago.

edself65

• Judge a tree by its fruit, not by its leaves
    • Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
    • Texas Rare Fruit Growers
« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2013, 06:57:04 AM »
I am really glad to see more of you growing the White Jaboticaba! It is one of my all time favorite plants! Even while I'm waiting for it to fruit I think it is a very ornamental plant! After seeing the photos of the fruit  and hearing the feedback from the folks who have tasted the fruit I think it will definitely be the must grow jaboticaba! I have 2 seedling that are about 4 years old that I'm waiting on to fruit! Also growing a very nice grafted one hoping it will catch up with my seedling!

Good Luck!

Ed

kgknight

• southeast florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2013, 10:43:51 AM »
Does anyone know what the actual name of the white jabo is? Also where did most of you buy your seeds?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 10:59:55 AM by kgknight »

edself65

• Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2013, 10:55:37 AM »

Myrciaria aureana

Does anyone know what the actual name of the white jabo is? Also where did must of you buy your seeds?

emegar

• Zone 9b/10a, Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 27, 2013, 09:25:59 PM »
I'll second kgknight's question, does anyone know of a mail order source for this myrciaria? Any have a fruiting specimen and willing to mail seeds this season?  I've been interested ever since I read about it in Silvestre Silva's book. Thanks!
James

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 28, 2013, 03:02:17 PM »
Now that everybody is talking about jaboticaba I took a closer look at mine and noticed I may have 2 aureana instead of one ( I posted a pic of the big one before ) what do you think ?

Another question for the experts : do all your varieties of M. jaboticaba and /or M. cauliflora fruit at the same time , is the M. aureana sooner or later in the season ?
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

edself65

• Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 28, 2013, 03:14:41 PM »
Beautiful plant Luc! Hope it fruits soon for you!

Ed

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #59 on: May 13, 2013, 10:02:45 PM »
I remember reading that this species was on the verge of extinction...so I imagine it's endangered in the wild.

For 10 yrs Silvestre Silva sought out this species to photograph it...after a great deal of effort, it was finally located in the town of Guararema, the state of Sao Paulo.

After the tree was located, seeds were distributed to growers throughout Brazil...and the rest is history...

Looks like this species might not disappear after all.

The folks who got these trees at the Melbourne sale are really lucky!!  They better keep these jabuticabas happy and alive!!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2014, 06:45:49 AM »
Do the white jabo's hate all city water or is that only in the USA? I gave my seeds pond water but i wonder if i can do that for many years  ;D

And do they need full sun or shade? And acidic soil?

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2014, 09:39:11 AM »
Do the white jabo's hate all city water or is that only in the USA? I gave my seeds pond water but i wonder if i can do that for many years  ;D

in my experience the young trees always look better with some shade, but if I remember Luc has one in full sun...and it looks healthy.

they love acid soil...and hate the city water that has high pH...I'm not sure if all city water will affect them adversely....but my guess is it will if the pH is above 7, and if it has fluoride and chlorine.

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 28, 2014, 10:14:48 AM »

in my experience the young trees always look better with some shade, but if I remember Luc has one in full sun...and it looks healthy.

they love acid soil...and hate the city water that has high pH...I'm not sure if all city water will affect them adversely....but my guess is it will if the pH is above 7, and if it has fluoride and chlorine.

Okay thanks, our city water has a lot of calcium and smells like chlorine but as long as they are small i can give mineral water and keep them in partly shade. I will acidify the soil with lots of spaghnum and some sulfur, they will grow in a pot for the first years.

So i hope to know what the jaboticabaholics is all about in some years  ;D

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2014, 04:46:10 PM »
My white jab. variety Rosa are powering (2 of them) and looking a bit like a yellow jab. in the foliage.My Lisa variety never germinated but I have seeds of another variety where pics of the mother plants in the pot look really 'different'.There must be a lot of genetic diversity in this species.

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2014, 08:40:49 AM »
Hi,

Not sure if this has been asked before but I couldn't find it. I just wonder if it's true that white jaboticaba is less bothered by nibbling birds than the regular jaboticaba?

Tomas

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #65 on: March 24, 2014, 10:25:33 AM »
Hi,

Not sure if this has been asked before but I couldn't find it. I just wonder if it's true that white jaboticaba is less bothered by nibbling birds than the regular jaboticaba?

Tomas

Tomas,

i think so...because birds see ultra violet light...colors like dark blue, and red, seem very vivid to them...but colors like green, appear drab....at least this is how I remember Sir David Attenborough describing a bird's vision in Life of Birds.

But the rats and other animals (racoons, bugs..etc) will still learn to smell them when they're ripe...especially after the tree has been fruiting for several years.  I noticed it took a while for the local wildlife population near me, to figure out how to eat jaboticabas...but now they've figured it out!  They eat the red ones full sized and green! 

I notice I get lots of fruits to ripen unscathed, if the weather is rainy for a few days right as they're ripening...I guess this keeps the birds from flying as much.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 10:28:22 AM by ASaffron »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 06, 2014, 06:47:40 PM »
A friend had his first blooms on his white jaboticaba when I visited a few weeks back. The other day he sent me this picture the other day.

So it turned out a pink-red. The same batch of seeds produced another legit white jab, but it's not impossible that the seeds were mixed up, as they originally came from a big old collection with other rare jabs. The tree looks like a white jab, but I guess it could also be phitrantha? The tree is small, so does anyone know if the phitrantha is also fairly precocious, bearing at under 6ft? That might rule it out. Otherwise it may have just naturally hybridized? Anyhow, very cool fruit and one I'll be hoping to add to my collection soon.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #67 on: May 06, 2014, 07:11:30 PM »
the species M. aureana has many variations...some even have red fruits!

I've seen examples of this in Brazil, and have even seen some people selling M. aureana, as "wine" colored variety.

and of course there is also a chance of hybridization (but not as likely in my opinion)

on a side note....I am convinced I have a hybrid of the red x grimal, and the red x trunciflora....but I guess it will be years before I can prove it....maybe they will have a cheap DNA test available in the next 5-8 yrs?

A friend had his first blooms on his white jaboticaba when I visited a few weeks back. The other day he sent me this picture the other day.

So it turned out a pink-red. The same batch of seeds produced another legit white jab, but it's not impossible that the seeds were mixed up, as they originally came from a big old collection with other rare jabs. The tree looks like a white jab, but I guess it could also be phitrantha? The tree is small, so does anyone know if the phitrantha is also fairly precocious, bearing at under 6ft? That might rule it out. Otherwise it may have just naturally hybridized? Anyhow, very cool fruit and one I'll be hoping to add to my collection soon.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

luc

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 06, 2014, 07:31:51 PM »
Now that everybody is talking about jaboticaba I took a closer look at mine and noticed I may have 2 aureana instead of one ( I posted a pic of the big one before ) what do you think ?

Another question for the experts : do all your varieties of M. jaboticaba and /or M. cauliflora fruit at the same time , is the M. aureana sooner or later in the season ?

Nobody ever answered my questions on this post , so here it is again .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

luc

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 06, 2014, 07:40:47 PM »
BTW , this must be an exceptional year for jabs , reporting my 3 rd flowering and fruit on my Sabaras for this year 2014....climate change or is it the extra mule dong i fed them ....
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

edself65

• Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 06, 2014, 08:20:20 PM »
I'm still patiently waiting for my White Jaboticaba to bloom and fruit!

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #71 on: May 06, 2014, 08:23:12 PM »
Luc,
looks like a white jabber for sure....rule out climate disruption, probably just got unlucky with some late bloomers...

i have a pair that should have flowered by now, but are dragging ass...based on what I've read about their precocity.

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #72 on: May 06, 2014, 09:59:17 PM »
wow Dave...I was just reminiscing, and realized how well you did at the Brevard sale in 2013!

If  I had a time machine I would go back and buy all the whites and Grimals....lol

how are the two M. aureanas doing?

I got there late this afternoon and there were only two left. Sorry.  They had some tall grimals and some other variety. red/yellow.  no blues.  some column 2 and 3.  lots of the regular jaboticaba. 

photos of two with potential planting spots:

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 07, 2014, 02:21:41 PM »
They are Alive and Kickin' (simple minds rip off). 

They must be deciduous as they dropped most their leaves over the winter, but now have new leaf flush. I've gotten a lot of rain lately and that surely helps.    I only have been using captured rain water to keep them moist. 

Slow growers so far, like the other jaboticaba.  But, not dead!   Nothing really to take a photo of. They have only been in the ground for a year.  Not much taller than the photos above and they are in the ground.   I'll report if they do anything drastic.   The new leaf growth is pretty and droopy.  I guess they have a weeping habit.   

for my Purple Jaboticaba (why not call them purple now since we have red, white, blue ones), I have had 4 crops since December.  Tons of rain this winter and older tree has really pushed out the fruit. 
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 02:23:25 PM by Central Floridave »

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #74 on: May 07, 2014, 11:14:58 PM »
thanks for the update!

They are Alive and Kickin' (simple minds rip off). 

They must be deciduous as they dropped most their leaves over the winter, but now have new leaf flush. I've gotten a lot of rain lately and that surely helps.    I only have been using captured rain water to keep them moist. 

Slow growers so far, like the other jaboticaba.  But, not dead!   Nothing really to take a photo of. They have only been in the ground for a year.  Not much taller than the photos above and they are in the ground.   I'll report if they do anything drastic.   The new leaf growth is pretty and droopy.  I guess they have a weeping habit.   

for my Purple Jaboticaba (why not call them purple now since we have red, white, blue ones), I have had 4 crops since December.  Tons of rain this winter and older tree has really pushed out the fruit.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com