Author Topic: growing Sweet Tamarind  (Read 1042 times)

Dirt Diva

• Houston, Tx 9A
    • View Profile
    • YouTube Channel for the DivingTemptress
growing Sweet Tamarind
« on: February 14, 2022, 01:21:52 AM »
I am curious to know if any of you grow the Sweet Tamarind Tree - Tamarindus indica?

Did you grow from seed, or buy a fruiting tree or something in between.  How long till producing and how tall now?

I have read that mature trees can tolerate 26 deg F, can handle drought and heat to 113 deg F. And they can live over 200 years.  This seems like a good one to grow for me, and I love the taste of the fruit!
Your thoughts will be appreciated.
Happy Gardening,
P J, the Dirt Diva
P J, the DivingTemptress and Dirt Diva

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: growing Sweet Tamarind
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2022, 09:48:20 AM »
The ones I've seen around here are 20 to 25 feet tall.  I would imagine they could get larger, but they don't seem like an especially fast-growing tree so they could probably be pruned on a regular basis.  They seem like pretty tough trees, and they have a nice even shape.  If I had a big property, I'd plant one.
John

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2022, 10:42:02 AM »
I have some seedlings growing, no idea how long they take to fruit from seed.  I am told the leaves are edible and are used for some Indian dishes in addition to the fruit.

Satya

• North Miami Beach, FL , Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • Growing rare tropicals and fruit trees.
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2022, 12:18:55 PM »
I have a seedling that is now 8ft tall and 8 ft wide, looks ornamental. Went from 5ft in 7g pot into the ground 2 yrs ago. Did not water except once or twice after planting, but it is FL :)  and they seem to be pretty drought tolerant. This tree has fruited for the first time this year, 1-2 branches only and really surprised me because i was expecting a couple more years. This is Thai giant sour tamarind.
Since then i have planted another, a sweet variety. It is 2 yrs old and into the ground, this time i planted by the brackish river as they don't mind some salinity in the soil. Did not get any leaf burn here when temps went down to 37F end of January.

Flgarden

• Oviedo FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2022, 12:38:57 PM »
I have a 3 ft sweet tamarind in 3 gal pot from ECHO that was outside the night we had a few hours of 27F.  No leaf damage at all. Everything else around is brown..
« Last Edit: February 14, 2022, 06:00:09 PM by Flgarden »
Ana

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2022, 12:51:59 PM »
I have a sweet one Richard from Excalibur called "Vietnamese pink" and it is growing pretty fast. Fruited lightly a few times already, about 10ft tall.

There is a giant one in Key West at Mallory Square. The trunk is probably 6ft diameter.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2022, 03:16:13 PM by dwfl »

Ulfr

• Brisbane Australia
    • View Profile
    • Practical Primate
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2022, 03:33:42 PM »
There are some planted here as street trees and they seem very manageable in that setting. I know the trees can get big but these ones have been there a long time and must be lopped periodically. I have grown the seeds from the trees easy enough and they seem find with minor frost, I don’t know how much cold they can take beyond that though.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2022, 08:09:54 PM »
I was given a pod this year and got to try a sweet tamarind this year.
It was very good and I saved the seeds. Will they grow true?

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2022, 08:58:54 PM »

The ones we grew out only turned out to be semi-sweet. But it may depend on what was available to pollinate.

Satya

• North Miami Beach, FL , Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • Growing rare tropicals and fruit trees.
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2022, 09:03:54 PM »
Mike, I am not sure if they grow true to seed, but most nurseries i visited looking for them- ECHO, Excalibur, Fruitscapes all were growing from seed. I got Viatnamese pink budwood from a forum friend and tried to graft to my giant sour, it seemed to take for a while, pushed leaflets but eventually dried out, probably an approach graft is the way to go.

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2022, 03:11:06 AM »
Let me be the black sheep in the herd and say that my sweet tamaring seedling are not the easiest plants for me. Most of the peoblems with them for me ,are in winter, they always lose their leaves, and try to generate new ones after which due to low light levels / inside home conditions, grow weak and shed right after.
I have two that i planted in the greenhouse, which defoliated and are probably dead. In the same greenhouse i am growing guava, coffee, carambolla ,avovado, jackfruit ,mango and others that overwintered fine.
Come spring one i put the potted ones out ,they leaf out and turn beautifull again....a shitty plant for me definitely ...